The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Self-Working Miracles. Props and Packets for Practical Social Situations. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

OathSworn
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of OathSworn
Hello all. First time poster, long time lurker here.

I have been interested in Magic off and on again over many years now. Since childhood really.
Now, later in life I have been picking it back up again and dusting off some old gems from my collection. Commonly my Skinner's Monte gaff cards or Expanded Shell or perhaps Scotch and Soda. I tend to like to do tricks for folks over drinks in a pretty light hearted social atmosphere.

I've been out of the loop for a while now as to what has come about and proven itself worthwile in the magic community as far as relatively self working (though impacting and meaningful) ammateur level tricks go.

I quite like trick decks, coins and packet effetcs, especially John Bannon ones such as Royal Scam.

Could any of you fine folks perhaps recomend some worthwile, simple to do effetcs that pack a punch? I'm hoping to grow my collection a little and expand upon my already owned materials and props.

Regards

OathSworn
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
“Three Card Monte” using cards from a St****er Deck is practically automatic.

“Do As I Do” can be played as magic, mental magic, “synchronicity”, or influence.

“Card Warp” is simple and blows minds. Use an old deck to make up a few “refills”.

“Out to Lunch” can leave them with a souvenir. (Your business card, if you’re so inclined.)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I love John Bannon's "Twisted Sisters". I use a modified version of Greg Arce's presentation:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5539648

Ed
OathSworn
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of OathSworn
Ed_Millis I apparently do not have access to the topic you linked.

*Sadface*

I've been scouring various magic retail sites for the last few days now and Twisted Sisters is a KNOCK OUT. I'm starting to really develop a focal appreciation for Bannon.

I've also thought about...

-Paul Harris' Twilight Angels. Pretty neat to do something visualy bizzare with the back of the card for a change.
-Magnetic Flipper Half-Dollar by Tango. Such a mechanically interesting prop. I don't know how I went unaware of this for so long. VERY clever. Kuepper also makes these. Is there a substantial difference in quality?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Peter Duffie's Ghost Flight http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......ts_id=85

JOKER DILEMMA by Aldo Colombini http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=271

Hate David Copperfield Trick by Geoff Williams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYOQ8FNPUk

In addition to these marketed effects, you sould also check out The CardMagic of Nick Trost and books and DVDs by Aldo Colombini.
Great value for the money.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 15:52, OathSworn wrote:
Ed_Millis I apparently do not have access to the topic you linked.

*Sadface*

I've been scouring various magic retail sites for the last few days now and Twisted Sisters is a KNOCK OUT. I'm starting to really develop a focal appreciation for Bannon.

Sorry - didn't notice the post count. You'll have to have 50 posts before you can enter that forum.
Here's how I described it in another post:

One of my favorite routines is a packet trick called “Twisted Sister”. The basic premise is two packs of four cards, one red backed and the other blue backed, and one card from each pack transfers to the other pack while two different spectators hold them. The instructions that come with it include the Elmsley count and other handlings with a three-phase revelation, all of which make for a nice card trick.

But I use a different handling that doesn’t use the counting, and it turns into a nice mental magic routine. I’ve had people go into near-meltdowns as I hit the second revelation, and have nowhere to run at the third! All because I start them off with a premise that takes them on a journey with me. “Over the centuries, man has wondered about the mind. Can our minds touch one another? Can our minds affect physical objects? Most importantly, can one mind influence, even control, someone else?” If I’ve only got one person, I’ve got a slightly different handling, but the same kind of hook: “How would you feel if someone could know your thoughts? How would you feel if someone could know what you were going to think? How would you feel if someone were controlling what you think -- right now?”

Ed
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
You can't go wrong with an "Invisible Deck" in your pocket.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Scotch and Soda is an old trick but plays well. It is available from Roy Kueppers as well as other dealers.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
I'm a newb, so take what I say with that in mind. I have very few things, but with a little bit of practice the ID is easy to do but is a great effect. Marked cards are always great. If you want to do mind reading stuff, and want something that requires practice but isn't difficult per se, then a NW is unbeatable.

I also find that there are many really good self working or simple to do tricks out there that don't require any gaffs or gimmicks, many great card tricks, many great memory or pseudo memory routines, and some great mentalism stuff where you need practically nothing.
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
OathSworn,

Here are a couple more effects you'll like, They are very close to self working and require no sleights:

Big Reaction by Andy Nyman
Timeless by Liam Montier

Both of these will go over well in the setting you identified above when you mentioned "I tend to like to do tricks for folks over drinks in a pretty light hearted social atmosphere."

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Get sharky
hopping halfs
industrial revalation
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I always felt that asking for a consensus of "best of " tricks was a lazy and uninspired way to program a set, then I realize that one still has to perform it - wonderfully or poorly.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
"Self-Working Miracles" sort of says it all...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Self-Working Miracles. Props and Packets for Practical Social Situations. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL