The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Penn's Bottle Production (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
I’ve been looking for a bottle production for a while and decided to go for this, as it finally felt like the right one for my act.

When I first opened the package I have to admit I did have that “what have I just bought?” feeling, but I’m glad I stuck with it. The gimmick looks like something you’d get from a pharmacy but appears to be very well made and does exactly what it should. Contray to my first impressions it works exceptionally well.

The DVD recommends the gimmick is fixed to your shirt but I’ve found it works just as well (if not better) when attached to a jacket. Although no one is likely to ever see the gimmick it’s a shame it isn't black, which would have helped when taking your jacket off and a little black art never hurt anyone. It would also have covered up any inevitable grubbyness that may occur. Potentially I could change the colour but I wouldn't want to damage it.

It’s claimed the effect can be performed without a jacket, which is even written on the box. I know Wizard are going to change the wording (as of writing the packshots still display that it can) but just to clarify if you’re not wearing a jacket you need to be wearing an open/loose fitting and relatively robust shirt. I do however think a t-shirt only performance would be possible (and can think of a few ways to achieve this) - angles may be a little limited but a confident performer in the right setting could pull this off.

The bottle production itself is great, it’s a little cheeky (which I like) and requires just a little misdirection to perform and not quite as much as is recommended on the DVD. Producing the bottle is quick and easy with a little practice. Spectators so far have been very impressed, though the reaction of “where did you get the bottle from” is an issue inherant with effects like this. It’s also worth proving the bottle is real, as the spec’s first reaction is often (wrongly) that it's a gimmicked bottle.

On to the DVD, which if you’ve ever seen the Wizard Product Review it’s basically the same set-up. It literally looks like they got up off the couch and filmed this, which they propbably did. The performance clips aren’t great but they do the job. They aren’t overly flashy but they don’t cover up anything up either. The DVD shows the moves well enough but I felt it could have gone into more detail. I’d like to have seen the set up clearly from the start. Better camera angles of the bottle production would also have been appreciated and we’re not shown where to hold the cloth (unless I missed it - apologies if so and I'm happy to be corrected), as this is quite important and took me a few productions to figure out the best place - it’s not a big issue but tips like this can really help speed up learning. I’d also like to have seen some more performance tips, different clothing options (like performing in only a t-shirt) and ideas for other objects, applications and even cleaning and maintenence tips. The bottle production section is quite short, with the rest of the DVD filled out with a coin routine. This will be a nice bonus for some but not something I’ll be using.

Overall this is a great effect and highly recommended, it might not be the definitive bottle production but I’m not sure there ever will be one, as it's about what suits you best. It also has quite a few advantages over other bottle productions; you can have your jacket open and it won’t reveal the gimmick or bottle; you have full freedom of movement before the bottle is produced; you don’t have to open with the effect - in fact you could even close on it; it can be performed in a t-shirt and shirt; you don’t need to ditch the gimmick after the effect, or worry about it getting in the way of any other effects you peform; you can even combine it with other bottle production routines, one of which is taught on the DVD. I also think the price is reasonable, it’s relative to what you get in the package but well worth the money for the overall effect.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-07-27 08:46, Havens wrote:

The DVD recommends the gimmick is fixed to your shirt but I’ve found it works just as well (if not better) when attached to a jacket. Although no one is likely to ever see the gimmick it’s a shame it isn't black, which would have helped when taking your jacket off and a little black art never hurt anyone. It would also have covered up any inevitable grubbyness that may occur. Potentially I could change the colour but I wouldn't want to damage it.

I dyed mine black. No damage.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Cool, will def do that then - worst case scenario is I'll have to buy it again.
Ken Francis
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Ken Francis
Will it get in the way if you use a topit?
A day without laughing Is a life Without living
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I am more worried about can this be done someone over 100kg and barrel instead of six pack. I really like bottle productions but the problem with most Bob Read, Splash bottle , belt load type routines is that they don't really work for "heavier" persons.

J-M
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I just watched the video demo at Hocus-Pocus. I appreciate those videos that show the effect or gimmick in action, from beginning to end. This video demo, unfortunately, does not do that. It only shows the ending of the effect, which makes me very suspicious.

If a gimmick or effect is good, why only show the ending of the effect a number of times timed to modern music?

Ron
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Firstly I think this should work fine for heavier persons, though being of medium build I can't confirm that but I don't see why it'd be an issue. If you can scratch your bum you can do this trick.

I agree the demo's not great, in fact the actual dvd isn't the best either but if I'm honest I'd say this is all down to the production values rather trying to hide anything. The effect requires confidence & a little misdirection but gets seriously good reactions. It's all so blatant, you effectively do the effect in full view, right under the spectators' noses which might also explain the odd editing in the demo - in order to avoid you seeing exactly what's going on.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
How comfortable is the set up?

Thanks,
Mike
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
It's comfortable enough, you know the bottle's there but it isn't an issue. Once you've produced the bottle you've absolutely nothing to worry about.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Thank you Havens.

Mike
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Great review Havens, I've been sitting on the fence too long with this........
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Can I use this bottle production for a stage act ? I would like to make first a glass of wine appear and then use this as a misdirection to load the bottle. In the add they says parlor or close up but I suppose also stage ?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I like the idea but......when am I ever going to produce a bottle? Go up to a restaurant table and give them free wine?? When do you do this trick?

Danny
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2012-12-19 16:31, djurmann wrote:
I like the idea but......when am I ever going to produce a bottle? Go up to a restaurant table and give them free wine?? When do you do this trick?

Danny

Penn suggests doing it at a wedding, presenting the happy couple with their champagne. Sounds like a great idea to me & if I was working a wedding I'd definitely use this but I'm predominently a stage act & I liked this effect so much I found a way to write it into my set, & it kills.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Is an uncut demo available?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
How is this different than the beer bottle one?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Penn's Bottle Production (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL