The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Life on the lot ... or not (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I wonder what you think (I am soliciting your opinions):

Concern has been expressed today about how adequately I am describing conditions of life and commerce on the contemporary carnival lot. The person (a professional with rock-solid credentials) who expressed them may have annoyed me almost as badly as does the fellow who has led me to avoid the Yahoo forum, but he did have quite a valid point underlying it all: it's far from accurate to conflate the "carny as con man" norm of 50 years ago with the "carny as straightforward deliverer of amusement" of today. I quite agree.

Accordingly, I have written a preface to my several online pages that describe the carnival biz by means of its lingo - this is a first draft, I'd appreciate comments:

"This 'carny lingo dictionary' makes no distinction between the way things were in the past and the way they are now. Here the old crooked carnival (with games in which you could be played until you literally lost a fortune) is mixed right in with the modern carnival (with games you’ll still rarely or never win, unless they’re 'every player wins a prize' hanky-panks [q.v.].)

"It has been pointed out, by those whose credentials are unimpeachable, that there was a time when carnies proudly earned their reputations as cheaters and unabashed crooks. It has also been pointed out (also by people who know first-hand) that the carnival no longer has any need to cheat the customer, for workers to sleep under the trailer in the mud and shower under a cold-water hose, to promise the world for the price of a ticket while delivering little or nothing. Those days are gone.

"Except where they’re not. In some places, with some people, old habits die hard.

"So as you read about the behind-the-scenes culture of the former and present carnival, with language unsorted by era, don’t look on this "dictionary" as a comprehensive guide to life on the lot today."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
As with any tradition, there are some who stick to the old ways. As with any tradition, there are some who do not.

Of those who con and steal, some admit it, and some don't. Some are rapacious, cannibalistic, and do not care who they take in. We have a long tradition of being proud of fooling marks, taking them for everything we can, of showing how smart WE are, and how stupid marks are. It's a culture where outsmarting is the primary social value and goal. They target everybody, marks and those in the industry.

Our advertising and performances often reflect that. Our business models reflect that. "Did you see what so-and-so did last year? He made so much money." And it spreads to all the others.

But then, there are some who believe in giving good value for an honestly spent and earned dollar.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
"A Thief will get ahead for a little while, but sooner then later, he will be comin around wantin to borrow a Fin"

Poor Ole Charlie
PoPcorn vendor I knew (deceased)
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Or gas money.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
It's called a "ding" for a reason.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Life on the lot ... or not (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL