The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Amazing Spiderman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Wow, I loved it. What a great movie. They really captured the feeling and flavor of the comic book. I liked the three Toby McGuire movies, but this one was better. I still feel that Sally Field was not frail enough to be Aunt Mae, but her acting for the role was perfect.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Frail?!? How many decades has that "close-to-death," passive-aggressive busybody been badgering and guilt-tripping poor Pete?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It was really good. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea she never struck me as "frail".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Whoa, the flying nun is Peter's g'mother?
now it all makes sense.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm not familiar with the Spiderman comics of the most recent decade(s), but in the 60s and 70s Aunt May was certainly portrayed as being frail. She had numerous heart attacks, dizzy spells, miscellaneous maladies. At one point a nurse (or perhaps it was a doctor) in the comics joked that there was a hospital room 'on reserve' for Aunt May. Smile IIRC, Aunt May's frailty was a good part of why Peter Parker kept his identity as Spiderman a secret.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Enjoyed it, but definitely feel that the Tobey McGuire version has the edge - but not by a huge margin. This one was enjoyable.

Interesting difference was in the web - in the newer one the web is artificially produced (which is true to the comic book, I believe), but in the McGuire version , it is produced by his body.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 01:52, Chessmann wrote:

Interesting difference was in the web - in the newer one the web is artificially produced (which is true to the comic book, I believe), but in the McGuire version , it is produced by his body.

In the comic books, he has actually done both at different times.

I like Spiderman well enough, but the FF has always been my favourite. I wish they would reboot or extend that movie franchise.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
BTW, about Aunt May, in case people missed it, in the comics a few years ago she was about to die until Peter Parker made a deal with the Devil to save her life.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I believe the organic webs in the comics came after the Raimi films.

Just saw TASM last night, and loved it. I wish he came up with the webs himself, or at least modified a more base product from Oscorp, rather than them having it alread conveniently packaged for him.

A few interesting changes, but they worked. Most notably was his wrestling career, in this case his lack of one, but they payed homage to it nicely.
I liked how the drew out his hunt for uncle Ben's killer, and how they used it to draw out him realising his responsibility, rather than just chasing a vendeta.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I liked it a lot. Little shocked by some of what was missing, but did enjoy it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Fun to see Sally Field and Martin Sheen...though I did notice that it seemed from how he sounded that Sheen is now wearing dentures. Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well just got back from this re-boot. Doesn't hold a candle to the original. I got bored half way through and almost walked out as I really didn't care to see how it ended. Now that I've seen how it ended I should have walked out. Hated the schmaltzy "That guy saved my kid so let's all help him out" scene.
I'll give it 2 stars out of five.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
I enjoyed it, but not as much as the Toby McGuire set.

I think Martin Sheen and Sally Field were horribly miscast as Peter's uncle Ben and aunt May. Sorry, I didn't buy it for a second. The famous line, "With great power comes great responsibility" should have come out; the message was muddled because it didn't.

Peter just kinda gave up hunting for his uncle's killer. That plot line was never finished, just abandoned. The romantic plot went the same way, I know at the request of Gwen's father, but I really felt let down. The scene of Peter leaving Mary Jane at the funeral in "Spider-Man" was different, and better, somehow.

The music was good. The score was thrilling, but I would expect no less from James Horner. Cinematographically, there were again too many moments where the CG camera did unreal things that began to give me a headache. Spinning over and under and through fight scenes -- I'm sorry, if a real camera can't do it they shouldn't do it -- at least so much.

Overall, a decent movie, but I won't be buying this one. I think I'll go watch Toby again.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Amazing Spiderman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL