The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Another what is it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
Hello All,
What the heck is it?
I was given a tiny aluminium "baseball bat" by a friend about 15 years ago who was clearing out some of his magic stuff. He had no idea what it was, but told me it was old. Being the packrat I am and not able to resist a good deal (it was free!), I took it and put it away in a drawer. Unfortunately there were no instructions. A few months ago I found it again and gave it a good clean up. The bat itself is about 2 3/4 inches long and has a very small pin-hole drilled in one of the engraved bands near the middle. The whole thing twists apart at one of the smaller engraved bands near the business end of the bat, revealing a cavity (the centre is drilled out) inside the bat where a small brass tube is attached to the end piece - the pin hole goes through the side into that cavity. I will post a second picture of it in the open position so the tube is evident with a little more of an explanation.

Click here to view attached image.
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

O.K. - I took this along with me to the final Kramien's Magic Jamboree in Oregon at the beginning of June and asked a few people there if they had seen anything like it. The likes of Mike Caveney, Buma, Master Payne, and even Pete Biro couldn't figure it out either. I suggested that it might be a form of mini "Hot ball" and most agreed with me, but Master Payne thought it might be some kind of manipulation device. I have since re-thought it all and suspect it might even be like one of those baking powder submarines that used to be given away in cereal boxes many years ago - but if it is I'm not setting it up right because it didn't move in the bottom of a water-filled water once I put a pinch of baking powder in the tube and screwed it together.
All I know is that it had taken someone with a lot of skill in metal spinning and some time to create this little "bat" that comes apart. It has to have some magical or scientific use - anyone know or have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance! Bruce

Click here to view attached image.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
It looks illegal. I would hide it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wonder if it is like a tipping timber trick. The movement of the water (if it stays inside) will tip the unit.

Going with the baking soda idea, what about a balloon inflation device for balloons out of a hat?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Hi Richard & Wizard,
Thanks for your thoughts. Good ideas, but it's just too small to be an inflation device as the whole thing is less than 3 inches long and the tube inside is only about one inch long with the diameter about the same size of a Bic pen refill (it might even be a small piece of an old brass refill). The bottom is slightly rounded, so it can't stand up either! Some manufacturer spent way too much time on a metal lathe for this to do nothing - it has to do something - but what? As for you Wizard of Oz - I don't see any connection on it for a pipe bowl, so I think I'm safe! Keep the ideas coming!

Bruce
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
P&L & Brema are the only ones I can think of if it is magical. I'll look in my P&L book. (part of a reel?) I would try putting it on the Old Magic Prop web site. They have a "what is it?" section that gets a lot of attention.
http://www.oldmagicprops.com/

I remember something like this when I was a pipe smoker way back when, but I cannot place it. Maybe a pipe collectors forum?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think it is the ferrule part off a vanishing cane. I have seen cane tips that looked like this.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
You've got several "Head Shops" there in B.C., I'd take it to one of those and inquire.

FWIW

(Does look like it might be used for some "recreational" use.)
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Seriously though, do a Google image search for "hookah." It looks like it could be the business end of a hose.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 22:07, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Seriously though, do a Google image search for "hookah." It looks like it could be the business end of a hose.

way too small. the ones from the middle east were ivory or bone, later plastic.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I thought it might be used to ingnite flash paper as it thumb palms easily and is the same size as a half burned down cigarette. I don't know if it would get hot enough to do the job but that is all I could come up with for it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Another what is it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL