The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Square Up Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
Hi everyone,

I have recently been working on a way to (Jerry Sadowitz magazine) a card so that a spectator can shuffle the pack and the performer can know exactly where the card is. I was wondering if anyone has been this method below before, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8qe3nG8cHk
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I started to use it before Sadwitz was born. I believe the use of ***** is very old.

Hideo Kato
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Hideo,

I think that he was using Jerry's magazine, The Crimp, as a way to not say ***** Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I've been using crimp work for the last ten years or so, and to the best of my knowledge it was in use even before that!!! But I might be mistaken. Smile
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
I was trying to avoid saying the word crimp but it doesn't matter now Smile. Anyway, what do you guys think of the idea?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 06:01, oliversmith wrote:
I was trying to avoid saying the word crimp but it doesn't matter now Smile. Anyway, what do you guys think of the idea?

That it is a great and tried and true method that has been around for ages and perhaps so old that it is new at least for some.

Namaste,
Vlad
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 07:23, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 06:01, oliversmith wrote:

That it is a great and tried and true method that has been around for ages and perhaps so old that it is new at least for some.

Namaste,
Vlad

Thanks Vlad. I know crimping a card is not in anyway new but I was hoping the way in which I was doing it is, cheers.
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
457 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Oliver -- It sounds like the question is whether your method of putting the crimp in is original (I can't be sure, but that looks like what you're doing in the video). I have seen a variety of methods of putting in a breather on the fly before. There are a couple of really useful ones out there. This reminds me of the version displaying the card between the hands to put in the crimp.

(Please forgive me if I'm concentrating on a different part of it than you were asking about.)
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Daryl has a similar method in which he crimps lower right corner of the card when he riffle the deck with left hand. He crimps the corner downward, not upward as the OP.

If you crimp that corner upward, crimping action is visible to audience. But if you crimp that corner downward as Daryl, crimping action is invisible to audience.

Besides, you can make bigger crimp by Daryl's method so that you can avoid fumbling action when you cut the deck at the crimp.

Daryl's method is written in his "For Your Entertainment Pleasure" (1982), page 34.

Hideo Kato
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
Quote:
On 2012-07-18 19:12, Hideo Kato wrote:
Daryl has a similar method in which he crimps lower right corner of the card when he riffle the deck with left hand. He crimps the corner downward, not upward as the OP.

If you crimp that corner upward, crimping action is visible to audience. But if you crimp that corner downward as Daryl, crimping action is invisible to audience.

Besides, you can make bigger crimp by Daryl's method so that you can avoid fumbling action when you cut the deck at the crimp.

Daryl's method is written in his "For Your Entertainment Pleasure" (1982), page 34.

Hideo Kato

Thank you very much for the information and I will check it out, cheers.
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Your handling appears to resemble "The Gamblers' Crimp" in Expert Card Technique (1940).

Andru
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The difference in oliversmith-san's method and Gambler's Crimp is angle of second finger.
Crimp is made by pushing up second finger in Gambler's Crimp.

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Square Up Control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL