The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Swadling/Mason Coin Options (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Using Kennedy Half Dollar, I'm trying to compare the Triception Coin Set to the NG Flipper and Double Deception 2.

I prefer using gimmick coins that look normal and that make me look more talented them I really am, since I'm no expert at sleight of hand and only do magic socially as a hobby nowadays.

With Triception, I specifically love the 1 coin to 2 coin visual appearance & disappearance in the palm of the hand and the coin through card into glass effects.

With the NG Flipper, I specifically love having a flipper coin that will lay flat and which can easily re-set during a routine for doing effects such as coins through table. I own a non-gravity flipper half that doesn't give me either of these capabilities.

With Double Deception 2, I specifically love the coin thru silk effect and the Commercial Matrix coin transposition effect, although I would rather use gaffed coins that allow you to easily do a matrix routine without cards since I prefer using less props.

Can the gimmick coins for any of these routines be examined before or afterwards, or do they all require that you first switch them out for real coins?

Keeping all my preferences in mind, can anyone recommend the best solution for me among the options I'm considering? Thanks in advance!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
For all of the gimmick coins and routines above.
you will not be able to hand the coins out.
except maybe the magnetic flipper in the double deception set.
a general rule of thumb.a repeatable coin trick usally can't be handed out.
a non repeatable trick can because of its locking charactistics.
todd
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Gm, if you don’t learn sleight of hand and the only "coin magic" you perform is with gimmicked coins, at best you will look like someone who has a few trick coins. Most here are hobbyists who don’t perform except in situations similar to what you described. Not saying you need to devote your life to it, but it would help you a great deal to at least learn and become proficient at the basics, the foundation moves.

Jim
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Jim,

Your point is well taken, and I couldn't agree more. To be perfectly honest, I'm actually not giving myself enough credit here. Truth be known, I've been doing most these routines like the matrix transposition for the past 30 years using zero gimmicks and nothing but sleight of hand. And while I'm shifting more of my time to doing magic as a hobby so I can spend more time with my 4 and 5 year old son & daughter, it will still always be a passion and lifelong devotion for me since I love it and get paid to do 1-3 shows every weekend.

Unfortunately, a few years back, I severed most the nerves in my left hand from a freakish accident when a glass juice bottle broke that I was holding at the time when I fell down some stairs. Now I have no feeling in most of my left palm. I refused to give up on the sleight of hand and learned to compensate when necessary by relying more on my right hand and trusting my instincts with my left hand even while I had no feeling.

But as I've gotten wiser with age, I now realize that if I acquire some professional quality gaffed coins and combine it with the skills I've already mastered, then it will allow me to focus less on hand dexterity and more on showmanship for an overall better routine. And I never perform any routine for anyone until I can consistently fool myself in front of a mirror and know every safe angle. So I'm confident that nobody will ever know I'm using trick coins even if I go that route (other then fellow magicians).

All that said, the main thing I wasn't clear about is whether there is any redundancy between the coin sets I'm evaluating. If I drop $200 on Triception, I would hate to spend another $200 on Double Deception 2 and/or a NG Flipper coin, only to discover that I could have done every routine I'm interested in with the coins provided in just one of these products. That is why I was seeking feedback. I made some misleading comments only because I wanted to limit the feedback to the gaffed coins I was considering.

Regards,

Gary
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sorry to hear about your hand injury Gary. Good to know that you do have some chops then. I have personally seem too many folks just starting out with coins who claim they don’t want to learn any SOH; just use some gimmicks. Naturally they don’t often do well that way.

I have a Triception set and I have an older Double Deception - not the one with the NG gravity flipper. However I believe that you could use the Triception to perform any of the three routines that are taught with DD. The only difference with mine would be the NGF vs. regular flipper of my DD set, but since DD2 has the new-style flipper they should work the same. Exactly the same, really.

Hopefully someone who owns both can confirm this.

Be well.

Jim
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Can the Triception coins be examined after the routine since they're magnetic, or do you still need to switch them out if necessary? I assume that the NG Flipper coin is non-magnetic, which would be a distinct difference with its own restrictions and benefits.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
You cannot examine the Triception set as it is only a complete locked set when the shell is over the flipper. If the shell isn't on it their functions as a normal gravity flipper.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
So is there still any benefit to investing in a separate non-magnetic NG gravity Flipper coin even if I buy the Triception coin set?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I'd probably just buy an ungimmicked shell. That way you have the choice. To magnetise or not to magnetise, that is the question!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 14:32, gmsmagic1 wrote:
So is there still any benefit to investing in a separate non-magnetic NG gravity Flipper coin even if I buy the Triception coin set?

I reccomend that you talk to Mark Mason about what you will be buying. He is great to work with and will discuss the options with you honestly including what size coins and whether you want silver or clad. The work is being done by Bob Swadling and the quality is excellent either way.

BTW I like your priorities.
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 08:17, gmsmagic1 wrote:
Can the Triception coins be examined after the routine since they're magnetic, or do you still need to switch them out if necessary? I assume that the NG Flipper coin is non-magnetic, which would be a distinct difference with its own restrictions and benefits.

One coin in the Triception set can be handed out. It's m******c, but looks normal. Not sure if that would satisfy the nosey ones or not.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Oh yeah, forgot about the matching magnetic coin. That could be examined but not the flipper, with or without she'll.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks for the clarification.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It also would not be hard at all to ditch the full set with the supplied magnetic holdout and pull out three regular coins to examine. or show 3 regular coins for examination and ditch them as you bring the gaffed coins from the magnetic coin holder in your pocket. if there is a will to show for examination you have a way on either end of the effect
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
If you do the main routine. All the coins vanish and there is nothing to be handed out.
stevo4
View Profile
New user
LA (formerly Boston)
14 Posts

Profile of stevo4
I know this thread has been dorment for a while but I'm a new owner of Triception. Mark had mentioned at the Swap Meet where he was selling his wares that it is possible to do the the Double Deception Coin thru Silk with the Triception coins. I was just curious what the difference was between the Tri coins and the DD coins. I'm assuming there is at least some small difference in the coins.

Thanks.

Stevo
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The original Double Deception's flipper was not a gravity flipper and also not a NG flipper, while Triception's flipper is both. However I believe that the latest Double Deception Plus does utilize a gravity NG flipper so I don’t know how much difference there is now.

Oh, and no shell with DD. Also, none of the other "extras" that come with Triception are included with DD.

Jim
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I just received my Triception set yesterday, Kennedy halves. I am overall thrilled with it. The routine that Mark provides though, lacks something, as the first coin isn't produced magically. I'm not much of a coin expert, but I'm working on that.
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
Quote:
On 2012-11-09 01:08, pepka wrote:
I just received my Triception set yesterday, Kennedy halves. I am overall thrilled with it. The routine that Mark provides though, lacks something, as the first coin isn't produced magically. I'm not much of a coin expert, but I'm working on that.

I think it would be hard to get that first coin in the right position and make it look magical. If you figure out something PM me because I can't come up with anything other than the routine Mark shows on the video.
stevo4
View Profile
New user
LA (formerly Boston)
14 Posts

Profile of stevo4
I haven't tried yet but I'll have to play with the set to reproduce the Silk through Coin effect. He performed it for me and I was the one 'pulling' the coin through the silk while 2 other magicians held the silk. Man, that is real magic. It really felt like I pulled it through. I can picture what I have to do with the Tri set but I'm curious what the variation is with the DD set. Hmmm.

Thanks,
Stevo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Swadling/Mason Coin Options (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL