The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Fortune-Telling Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many of the Mentalist forums feel that Mentalism and conjury cannot be combined -- and perhaps you do also.

I offer this routine that does not reveal much method -- such being common knowledge to you all.

While I have performed all of the components many times I have never performed this specific routine, nor ever will with crippled hands -- so do not ask for a video. Please send me one if you perform it.

enjoy ...

FORTUNE-TELLING C&B

A possible Routine

with exact dialogue as I would perform it. You will have to speak in two different voices, one for yourself and one for the Fortune-Teller.

EFFECT: While describing an encounter with a Fortune-Teller at a Fair you perform a series of Transportations of Balls and Cups ending with some surprise final loads.

“How many of you here have ever gone to a Fortune-Teller?

pause for response

“I don’t mean a self-proclaimed psychic or a financial analyst, but someone like ‘Madam Zelda’ at the County Fair.”

“Great – then you can help me understand what happened a short time ago.”

display a bowl of multi-colored balls

“there were a number of tables set up under the trees, and most had signs portraying cards or a huge hand or a mysterious eye ball. This woman had before her a bowl of colored stones and three small baskets. I stared a while trying to make some sense of it.”

She said, “Telling the future is easy, my friend. If you stand there gawking long enough your neck will get sunburned!”

“So, I sat on the stump next to her table and queried, ‘How can you predict the future with stones and baskets?’”

“There are many possible futures for you, my son – and I predict none of them for certain, but can offer that if you are this skeptical about everything there can be no peace found in these stones.”

“To illustrate what happened next I will use these three battered cups instead of her baskets, and colored balls instead of stones.” Set out your Cups mouth upward.

“She turned over her fee card and whispered” “For you I will demonstrate what I mean – a gift that you can reward as you choose.” “She then offered me the bowl of stones.” “Pretend that these baskets represent your past, your present and your future potential. Please select some stones and drop them into the baskets – none or up to three, no more.”

“It was then that I noticed that the Stones were marked with symbols – some with dots and the others with strange shapes. As I understood none of their purport I focused on the colors, and wanting full measure from this game filled up the Baskets. I found a White Stone and dropped it into one Basket, then a Red one in another – and finally a Green Stone in the third. I attempted to mask what I was doing, next dropping a Green, then a Red and then a White in the same Baskets as before, but confused a bit in the actions. Finally there were three White Stones in one Basket, three Green in another and three Red in the last.”

But she said, “I see that you are a complex person, filled with mischief and curiosity – and you wish to control the influence of Mind and Heart and Spirit in your life. But you can’t have Heart today if it is not in your memories, and Spirit cannot be grasped tomorrow if not part of your laughter today.” With this she poured out the contents of the baskets to reveal that each held three Stones of different color.

“I was puzzled by her words and startled by the magic that had occurred, so I asked, ”Do you mean that I cannot find happiness in the future if I am not happy right now? -- and she did not respond until I dropped a bill into her purse.”

“She laughed and dropped a Red Stone into each Basket, saying,” “Happiness is always a matter of choice, and therefore of the Mind. The potential for happiness is always present unless you deny who you are.” “With that she poured the Red Stone from one Basket into her hand and dropped it back in the Bowl – setting the empty Basket face down on the table.” “You may decide not to be happy this day, but can choose to be twice as happy Monday.” “She tipped over another Basket and two Red Stones rolled out, then set it face down on the table.” These Stones were also placed in the bowl.

“Contentment might be a better goal, but difficult to achieve with a closed mind.” “I stared at the two inverted Baskets and gestured towards the open one saying, ‘and my memories’?”

“You can forget or suppress reason, my son, or decide to change your past perceptions – for Heart and Spirit will always be with you.” “She tipped over the last Basket and instead of a single Red Stone, a Green and White rolled out.” “I then peeked under each of the other Baskets to make sure they were empty, and placed another bill in her purse.”

“If you do not believe I will place Heart in your Future or your Present – which would you prefer?” “She then placed the Green Stone under the Future Basket as I directed and the White Spirit Stone under the other Basket and turned the empty Past Basket face down.”

“Silly boy,” she giggled. “You would reject the influence of your Mind, follow your Emotions through the day and somehow hope for Spiritual enlightenment to just happen!” “She then lifted each Basket to reveal a single Red Stone under each Basket.” “You cannot nurture false memories nor fool yourself into a fruitful life.”

“She then turned all of the empty Baskets face down and asked, “What then would you chose to have in your past?” “As much Truth and Emotion and Spirituality as possible,” I cried.

“With a pixy glint in her eye she lifted that Basket and many colored Stones rolled on the table. Then I lifted the center Basket and a pile of money was revealed – all that I had given her! Then I reached for the remaining Future Basket.”

“No!” she said. “I will give you a prediction now. You and I will cross the road and get an ice cream from the tinkling cart.”

“I took her arm and we did!”

……………………………………………………………………………….

You need a deep bowl of colored sponge balls to match the story line, and your set of Cups – though any three containers will serve. I would suggest they are similar in appearance, however, for the illusion that the Past, Present and Future are much the same except for our perceptions. The first is a variation of Tarbell’s “Patriotic Chips.” The rest use standard C&B or Chop Cup Sleights. Other Moves could be added if desired and a wand employed if that is in your character. I would be careful to never show what is under the final Cup.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Astounding! You definitely show an equal level of understanding of both the Cups and Balls AND Fortune Telling! Nicely done.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is very nice. I would however, most likely wish to make or modify the appropriate props to better illustrate the story, rather than demonstrate with standard cups and balls as substitutes. It may take a change from stones to something a bit softer (sewn fabric balls maybe?). I think it would add to the intrigue.

This has a feel of a routine appropriate to the Hindu-style cups, so perhaps a unique set of those would work (gaffed, as needed).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I was developing "Scout Around" using the new Boy Scout silcon collapsible cup I thought of how well they might work with this routine. Sorta natural for the setting, and can be morphed into different funcional shapes -- perhaps a different one for Past, Present and Future -- and any gaff can be loaded or ditched on the fly ...

but then decided the story line might become too complex for most performers. In my "Camp Stolling Days" with SCA I used small baskets and bits of wood or tied cloth to good advantage. If a "soft" cup substitute is used then various hard candies might play well.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I love the way this just flows. and you can break up the serious patter with a few nice, "I gave her more money lines". Very well scripted.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Fortune-Telling Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL