The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tip Sizes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thought this info would be good for a number of people considering the trouble I had on finding a thumb tip that fit me.

This is PenguinMagic.com Thumb Tip guide.

Hard Plastic Thumb Tips - Hard on the outside, smooth on the inside.
•5.4 - In Your Face Thumb Tip Junior - 4.5cm x 1.9cm. Opening is round and has a circumference of 5.4cm. Wall thickness is 1.3mm. Notes: Great tip for kids. Makes an excellent "finger tip" for adults.

•6.3 - Thumb Tip Junior by Vernet - 5.1cm x 2cm. Opening is round and has a circumference of 6.3cm. Wall thickness is 1mm. Notes: This TT is only a litle bit smaller than the Vernet Classic. This tip fits a lot of teens and adults with small hands.

•6.7 - Plastic Basic Thumb Tip by Di Fatta - 4.6cm x 2.1cm. Opening is round with a 6.7cm circumference. Wall thickness is 1-1.5mm. Notes: Very sturdy tip.

•6.7 - In Your Face Thumb Tip Hard - 5cm x 2.3cm. Opening is elliptical with a 6.7cm circumference. Wall thickness is 1.2mm. Notes: Nail is realistic. Color is a bit dark. More of an olive complexion..

•6.9 - Vernet Classic Thumb Tip - 5cm x 2.2 cm. Opening is round with a 6.9cm circumference. Wall thickness is 1mm. Notes: This is one of our top selling thumb tips. A great place to start if the size is right for you.

•7 - Vernet King Size - 6.5 cm x 2.5cm. Opening is round and has a circumference of 7cm. Notes: This tip is longer than a normal thumb tip, but it's about average width. It's designed for magicians with average size thumbs to vanish larger objects like 18" silks.

•7.1 - Royal Magic Thumb Tip Vernet Style - 5cm x 2.4cm. Opening is boxy with a circumference of 7.1cm. Wall thickness is 1mm. Notes: Very much like the Vernet Classic, but with a slightly larger opening and a more flattened out shape.

•8.4 - Vernet XXL - 5.5 cm x 2.8cm. Opening is round with a circumference of 8.4cm. Notes: Hard Plastic Tip. Light Color.

Soft Plastic Thumb Tips - These tips are made of a more elastomeric plastic (similar to the rubbery plastic material often used on the keys of a calculator). The inside is smooth enough to vanish a silk, but you still get a bit of the sticky feel of a rubber thumb tip.
•7 - Vernet Medium Soft Thumb Tip - 5.2cm x 2.3cm. Opening is round with a 7cm circumference. Notes: Soft Plastic Tip with a bit of an elastomeric feel... almost like the keys of a calculator.

•7.2 - Soft Light Plastic Thumb Tip by Di Fatta - 5cm x 2.5 cm. Opening is elliptical with a 7.2cm circumference. Notes: Very thin, very smooth plastic tip. Allows light to pass through the tip.

Soft Rubber Thumb Tips - Rubber is probably the most comfortable material thumb tips are made of. Rubber tips feel great, and they stay on nicely. The one downside is that the inside of the thumb tip isn't very slippery. It can be difficult to stuff a silk into a rubber thumb tip. Rubber thumb tips are great for vanishing items like salt, liquids, etc..
•7 - In Your Face Thumb Tip Soft by Penguin Magic - 5.1cm tall x 2.5cm. Opening is elliptical with a 7cm circumference. Notes: Soft Rubber Thumb tip. Very similar to the Realistic TT by Royal Magic. Slightly smaller and more pink in color. Without pink hi-lights.

•7.3 - Realistic Thumb Tip by Royal Magic - 5.6cm x 2.7cm. Opening is elliptical with a 7.3cm circumference. Notes: Soft rubber thumb tip with a very nice feel. Realistic nail painted on with pink hi-lights in the creases of the skin to make the tip look more realistic. Great attention to detail.

Vinyl Thumb Tips - Vinyl is a great material for thumb tips because it's soft and slippery at the same time. You get the great feel of a soft tip with the easy loading of a hard tip.
•6.7 - Soft Vinyl Thumb Tip by Di Fatta - 4.8 x 2cm wide. Opening is elliptical with a 6.7cm circumference.

•6.7 - Di Fatta Super Soft Vinyl Thumb Tip - Extremely Soft Vinyl tip. Soft but smooth. 4.8 x 2cm. Opening is elliptical with a 6.7cm circumference.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Well Andy you've certainly done your homework in researching thumb tips. The very best option of course is to try and find a brick and mortar shop and to physically try them on until you find what you are looking for. Otherwise, even with the options given above, you may have to buy serveral to find what you really want.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Yes I used a caliper and that narrowed it down. I tried 3 and then found the right fit.k hI
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Learn it live it. its the best little gimmick around.
todd
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I agree
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
It’s been a couple decades since I bought my last TT, but with the old Vernets, you could put them in hot water and shape them (somewhat) to alter the fit. If they’re still making them out of the same material, that could help.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
My problem was that I have small fingers. I found that the TT Junior works for me, others were just to big to fit right.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I own about a dozen TT's ranging from metal to Vernet's in different lengths, etc. plus D'Lites. Fantastic utility item. People who know about them still get flabbergasted by some effects using a TT. If used properly, no one even realizes you are using one.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
This is a great review of the TT. I've had to get several to find one that's the right fit. Glad to see the review. Thanks!
AK
Brad Sheppard
View Profile
New user
Rogers, Arkansas
69 Posts

Profile of Brad Sheppard
I have the Jay Scott Berry Eclipse Tip and love it! It fits perfectly and allows for additional effects not available with traditional thumb tips.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I wish the eclipse tip came in a large size. I love the concept of it.
todd
Brad Sheppard
View Profile
New user
Rogers, Arkansas
69 Posts

Profile of Brad Sheppard
Todd,
For once I have the advantage for having small hands! ha ha
Vthegreatone
View Profile
New user
Bowie, Maryland
57 Posts

Profile of Vthegreatone
Are you a close up guy or stage guy? I moved away from the TT and use a fingertip, and got the advice from a demonstrator at Barry's Magic Shop named Jolly. It makes you work "smaller" but from audience reaction...I have seen no difference.
Magic and Philosophy are One
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I am only using my TT for a rubberband effect. I did however buy a couple of them to preload items for other tricks.
howlinhobbit
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
53 Posts

Profile of howlinhobbit
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 21:16, Andy_Young wrote:
I did however buy a couple of them to preload items for other tricks.

aha! I've run across a lot of mentions around the web of owning several (insert prop name here) and none of them mentioned this factor.

I'm just getting back into magic after a nearly 3 decade hiatus. thanks for the (ahem) tip!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oy~ I was born too soon! I bought my first TT in 1946 from Percy Abbott ($.25!) If I recall they came in two sizes. I bought the small. IT WAS JUST OVER AN INCH LONG. The "big' trick (of the day) was vanishing a lit cigarette BUTT in spectator's handkerchief.

After a couple of months, the paint wore off (it was shiny aluminum) but I had learned to use it, and no one ever saw it! AL BAKER (old pro. & dealer in NYC) said that he was using one painted bright RED!

Don't be concerned about "flesh tones" and "highlights, etc.!!! Harris SOLOMON (IBM International president-eons ago) was in Egypt after the war (WW 2)and saw an old AFRICAN magician working "the street", and doing marvelous magic with traditional props like cups & balls, etc. Harris said that the magician's skin color was BLACK. After the man's show, he looked up at Harris, and with his limited English, said, "You, magician!" Harris asked how he knew. The magician replied: "You watch right cup." They had coffee together, and Harris showed him the lit cigarette vanish in a handkerchief. The magician's eyes sparkled! Harris, knowing that there were no magic shops within a thousand miles, gave the magician the TT. Harris, later, said, "I knew he was a MAGICIAN because he didn't question the "skin" color of the TT!!!"

Roy Mayer, another old pro. showed me the BURLING HULL (some magicians re-named him HURLING BULL) "elusive" silk vanish in 1947. I've used it ever since (and fooled -!!!-many "budding" magicians with it!).

It'a time for coffee..............
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
http://www.magickits.com/African-American-Thumb-Tip.html

I have not heard the Hurling Bull moniker in 40 years, thanks for the reminder...
My first TT was from Adams about 1949. I need a replacement any suggestions for a big thumb guy?
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for a large realistic TT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tip Sizes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL