The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How to deal with sweating? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bremenkid
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of bremenkid
Hi, I am new to the world of magic, have been learning a little more than a year and a half...

I never have been on stage with manipulation before, so I am very curious how magicians deal with sweating.

If it is for example rope, sweating does not matter that much, but in case of card or CD manipulation, how do you manage to do all those things?

I have tried like a 10 seconds card manipulation demonstration infront of some people after a dinner show after my close up routine, and although I was quite relaxed, I felt my muscles contract and not being able to do any cardini single productions or fan productions at all..

When I practice alone, this never happens, but I'm afraid that this will happen when I perform on stage later on...

For sweating, I might also use some drugs for people who sweat a lot(eg Driclor), but still I'm very unconfident...

Does this happen to all of you when you perform?

Shout I just start with ropes and start my card act when I become confident enough? Or can someone suggest what I should do??
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
You CAN get beta blockers that can help with nerves.. But you are better off just practicing and getting confident.
Confidence comes with having practiced so much that you can literally go into auto-pilot mode and have your muscle memory take over..
Of course you will be nervous when doing something for the first time.. And with nervousness comes sweating and tightening of the muscles..
Keep in mind, some of the best and most famous performers get so nervous backstage that they actually get physically Ill before every show.
Btw - you can also get a make up called 'sweat stop' that may help little bit..some performers have dipped their hands in 99% isopropyl alcohol which sucks all of the moisture out of your hands.. But again, better to just work on building up your confidence..
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Agree with Damien. I also think your idea of starting with rope effects is good - I always start out with something that works whether or not I am nervous.. I think effects with good patter or story line are helpful also, as you get to know your audience and get settled in.

I generally wear black so no worries about sweat showing. This helps me not feel conspicuous. Oddly, I am at an age where a little sweat can be a good thing- my hands are now usually dry which makes some sleights very hard to do.

As Damien mentioned, though, confidence is the key, and you will get that as you perform more often...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
bremenkid
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of bremenkid
Thank you both damien666 and Mr.Mystoffelees. Your advices helped me a lot!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try "No Sweat Lotion": http://www.nosweatlotion.com/
Hands and feet only.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
This is a great product...
http://www.titegrip.com/productinfo.html

This produces dry hands with no tacky feeling. First designed for golf. I got exposed to it from a tennis player. Good luck.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Adjust your diet
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
A few things,
First, soak your hands in warm water right before you practice your card routine to simulate sweat. This will build your confidence when you sweat on stage.
Second, hang come kind of quick drying, very absorbent towl behind your table to wipe your hands on throughout the show.
Third and most helpful. Try putting fanning powder on your hands, just a little bit, this will help your hands stick to the cards a little.
Good luck
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Wear lighter clothes. Avoid performing in warm places. Control your mind, don't think about it.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Lots of costume changes
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
bremenkid
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of bremenkid
Thank you so much Dynamike and Tony Thomas for the products! I will definitely try them out. Thank you Elliottmagic for your tip! I am thinking of having a papertowl in my breast pocket, but I'll see.

Thank you guys all so much!
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Use it to your advantage
eg:get a lota funnel and milk the sweat bit for all its worth,or an in exhaustable sponge.
then again maby not.lol
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Hello!

being a heavy sweater the best advice I can give is "deal with it"

I remember a conversation with Jerry Lewis about this - his advice is let the audience see you sweat that whay they know how hard you are working for them. In regards to manipulations, PM me with specifics and I will share with you how I deal with specific props that you may use as well.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I use cheap hair spay, the kind with alcohol.

Squirt some in your palm, run those fingers through your hair - (I'm assuming that you have hair because an avatar would be nice) , wipe your hand against the other hand, comb your hair

Your hands should be sticky for a good 10 minutes. That's long enough to get you through the opener and into the body of your act.

By the by, welcome to the Café. If you have a few minutes please put a few details in your profile, which can be very helpful when us oldfarts are giving advice because we can see your website and it helps.
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Funny that Jerry Lewis was mentioned, because I was going to say that if you watch clips of Martin & Lewis on Youtube, they are constantly taking their pocket handkerchiefs out of their breast pockets and wiping the sweat off their faces. Because they are so energetic, it doesn't look bad at all. Just looks like they are working hard and having a great time. But, I wouldn't use a paper towel. If not a proper handkerchief, at least something cloth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How to deal with sweating? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL