The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pro advice on performing for friends and family (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Dominic Reyes (the famous card eating magician and owner of magicshop.co.uk) is kindly offering a FREE download about the pitfalls of performing magic for family and friends. Together with his Pro colleague Ben Williams he has gathered together solid advice on;

How to deal with the fact they know you are not magic
How to deal with 'grabbing'
Being the centre of attention
The 'Do another' question
How not to 'spill the beans'
Important tips and advice

So do yourself a favour, head over to...

http://info.magicshop.co.uk/performing-m......9eb533b6

...and learn something new today.

Thanks Dominic!
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I think this is a great idea, Perfoming for fmaily and friends is very different from performing in a professional setting.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
My family has become my least favorite group to perform for. Of course over the past 25 years they would be my first go to group when I was trying something new. Unfortunately, they lack any interest with what I would like to share with them and it's at a point where they will not even humor me for a five minutes. So I've learned that it's better not even to show them anything new, they honestly wouldn't appreciate it anyway. Kind of sad, but I know its rare for a household to have more than one individual interested in any form of magic. To spare me the grief, I just bypass the family and save it for people I meet in my day.

I will check out this download, because it's content seems to speak directly to me.

CHRIS
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks Jamie.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Just spotted this topic..

Your welcome Jamie!

Thanks for recommending the ebook on here.

As I mention in a related blog post on the subject, The Merchant of Magic did a poll a while ago about magicians partners. We found that:

71% of magicians partners reported that they no longer like being shown magic tricks.
(Source: Feedback survey MagicShop.co.uk 2009 (Sample size 627)

http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2012/08/the-......cks.html

71%! There has got to be a few good reasons for that? Smile

Do we show half ready tricks to them way too often? Maybe we expect them to be instant, always ready spectators?
Personally, when I have a trick I want to show my wife Caroline, she seems to suddenly get really busy, just when I'm standing there, coins in hand ready to go... Smile

There's another free ebook available on the site as well 'How to learn magic tricks' which discusses the experiences magicians have when a new magic trick arrives and they first attempt to learn it. You can download the free ebook here:

http://info.magicshop.co.uk/how-to-learn-magic-tricks-ebook

I'd really welcome your feedback on it.

Hope this helps

Dominic Reyes
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
Got the free e-book from Dominic at M.o.M a few weeks ago, an interesting read..and free!! I sympathise with Chris about showing your latest trick to the family....I think it is natural for most of us that family are the first 'go to' audience and I find it an anti climax or at best mild interest after I have shown the new creation..
Maybe it is more satisfying for us, as we have proved to ourselves it works or improvement is needed etc.
Family audience in my case is ....
Sister........Actually ok
Niece.......Indifferent but attentive
Son.........Complimentary in a Patronising kind of way
Ex-wife........I could turn a blade of grass into a football pitch and she would still say...'its ok...but'
Sons half sister.....She loves my tricks and frequently asks if I have any new to show her........Heaven....
Good luck to you all with your Family and your latest tricks, no easy solutions...but its got to be done!!

Thanks again to Dominic..for these free e-books,off to download 'How to Learn Magic Tricks' now and then just maybe, amaze my family!!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Hi Dominic

Have you seen this?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfKVSWkA7O0

Someone has stolen your idea and tried to improve on it!

You were the originator and should be given full credit. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Bah.. No pepper... Smile I wonder if he lost a bet to Titanas too?

Is Titanas travelling around the world getting strange thrills from making people eat playing cards?

Probably just a conspiracy theory.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:

There's another free ebook available on the site as well 'How to learn magic tricks' which discusses the experiences magicians have when a new magic trick arrives and they first attempt to learn it. You can download the free ebook here:

http://info.magicshop.co.uk/how-to-learn-magic-tricks-ebook

I'd really welcome your feedback on it.

Dominic Reyes

GREAT ebook, Dominic. Covers all the bases, including the stages of emotion that most go through between ordering and "learning the secret," prior to practicing. Very well written and thorough. Thanks for making it available!
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Thank you very much this was a nice generous gift to the community, great stuff
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Your welcome! Glad you liked those ebooks and found them useful.

As per the last page of the ebooks state, please feel free to pass on a copy for free to anyone else you feel would benifit from them.

The team is working on the next one right now.

Best wishes and good luck with your magic

Dominic Reyes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pro advice on performing for friends and family (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL