The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stand-Still (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Hi, I've been into close up magic for about two years, and It's fair to say, I think I'm pretty decent at it.

Unfortunately I've come to a really irritating standstill where I have no incentive to practice magic or learn new things, I just do the same few card tricks over and over.

It's a bit like I've lost interest, but I don't want this talent to stop, but it just doesn't feel great, any advice on how to get over this?
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
This is normal id say... one thing I do is start hanging out with more magicians. for some reason seeing all the new things people are doing inspires me and re-fills the magic well. there has been times when I wasnt at a stand still with my magic but after attending a magic convention I was even more motivated to do shows and learn new things.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 12:36, SmithMagicMan wrote:
Hi, I've been into close up magic for about two years, and It's fair to say, I think I'm pretty decent at it.

Unfortunately I've come to a really irritating standstill where I have no incentive to practice magic or learn new things, I just do the same few card tricks over and over.

It's a bit like I've lost interest, but I don't want this talent to stop, but it just doesn't feel great, any advice on how to get over this?

Do you perform for anyone on a regular basis? Magic is a shared art. If you are not performing for others and just practicing for your own enjoyment, the interest level drops. When you experience the reactions from other people it does give you a bit of a rush and the incentive to want to improve on your skills.......... the other very important aspect is people skills, learning to have fun and creating a fun time for your spectators.....People don't like show-offs..they like to be entertained.........Find a place to share your talents.

There are a ton of carnivals this time of year: fire department, church, community etc. that you could perform at to get some experience.
Performing for real people on a regular basis will give you invaluable experience and let you know how good you really are (or not).
This will for sure give you the kick in the pants to improve and to learn more.

ENJOY the journey..if not, you won't go very far and lose interest.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Thank you both for your advice, that's great:)

I perform for people my age on a regular basis when I go to town or something, I show mutual friends card tricks etc, but I don't have a residency or do any professional work.

I should do more for free as in church events, but I don't get that many opportunities to get my foot in the door Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank the guy above, you are not bitten by the "buying magic" bug. As said previously, magic has to be shown for you to get enjoyment out of it. I would help to know your age or are you teen in high school or an young adult, whatever stage in life you are at.

To keep you interest, if you have a magic store in your area, then pay it a visit, not to buy, but to get an idea of all the different types of magic available. Now is the time to pursue your interest. It is hard to "do it all" in magic, because of the expense. Get a good rounded knowledge of magic, and chose a direction. Close-up or stage/stand-up magic. Then chose a category like, silks, coins. rope, etc.

Get the basics, Royal Road to Card Magic book, Mark Wilson's Course in Magic, Tarbell Course in magic, and Rice's Silk Encyclopedia. These books are available and some on DVD at much reduced price. Stay away from the latest "hot" tricks on the market.

Lastly, do not wait for opportunity to knock, it will not, part of being a magician is selling yourself. So you make opportunities happen. Get out and meet people at other things you may be interested in.

About your free show statement, never do free shows. It will only hurt your chances at making people think you do you magic for free. Always change something. There is a old statement, if it has no value to them, then there is no need for it.

The six tricks you have, I hope are "Real Magic" trick, and not something you picked up off the Internet.
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
Great ideas and if you have time (based on my experience), after rehearsing your act; decide what you want to do with your magic, work on your patter, how to improve your act, adding one liners, your promotional material, advertisement, marketing techniques that suits you, designing your flyers and business cards...etc

you shouldn't loose interest when there is still so much to do.
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Smithmagicman:

I would take a look at what your job is. Magic might just be a phase if it isn't something you've decided to do. Looking into the future isn't necessary, but if you do and you see yourself doing things other than magic, then there's no real reason to fret. Magic has been a hobby of many people. It has edified many people. Professional magic performance might be something that you do if your current occupation is entertainment geared.

Best regards
Nick
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
It always helps to watch other magicians on dvd or elsewhere to get inspired. It rekindles the enthusiasm and excitement. Find an upbeat performer like Greg Wilson and watch him have fun doing magic. Have several inspiring magicians or things to watch to amp up your enthusiasm. You can watch Youtube or clips on Penguin Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stand-Still (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL