The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jamaica mon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I put on Bob Marley Legend (one of the few must always have CDs) and it hit me he died in the early 80s so 30ish years, maybe 31 it was 81 or 82. I think he was brilliant and I daon't guess reggae caught on. I am wondering if younger people are hip to Marley and if he still has a popularity or just is forgotten.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Dude, reggae is huge, there are 2 huge major 3 day festies happening here in Or this month.
There's Reggae on the Rocks in Cali, Rocks is another major happenin...so many more.
I have no clue what you mean, you can find some dank a** Reggae band where ever throughout the USA
all the time.
you are just out of the loop, that's all.
Bob is still a big hit, especially with his son Ziggy taking over.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
All we have here is country and classic rock. KFOG in San Francisco, my favorite station when home, plays a little. I am glad it is around let alone huge. I really like it and Marley was great. Ziggy I remember was pretty good but guys like Tosh hav been gone for years too.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Yeah, Reggae is really big. Just saw a documentary about Bob Marley - a cool guy. Octopus, Where in oregon are you? I'm in Eugene.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Reggae??? that has nothing to do with Justin Bieber - I got da Bieber fever mon.
(sarcasm for those who take some posts too literally)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I just finished working (and experiencing) Reggae On TheRiver in Benbay, Ca. Yup, Reggae is alive and strong. Beautiful music, happy soul stuff. It was a great 2day festival that I hope to make a tradition as long as I can drag my ole hippy *** to them. I'm hoping to provide a whole kiddy area for them next year.

Looking forward to learning more about the music, as this one was my first real contact with Reggae...I'd never paid much attention to it before, now I like it a lot.

Any recommends?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Legend which is Marleys best of, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Inner Circle. There are others I don't know the names or any of the new groups...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Cutty Ranks is da man!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
You've really got to back to the sixties and trawl the whole history.
Here's a little fun one to get your hips swinging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYTL8ydERw
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Jammin' Jammin' I wish I was jammin' wid you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRbZJXjWIA
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-08-11 01:07, MagicSanta wrote:
I put on Bob Marley Legend (one of the few must always have CDs) and it hit me he died in the early 80s so 30ish years, maybe 31 it was 81 or 82. I think he was brilliant and I daon't guess reggae caught on. I am wondering if younger people are hip to Marley and if he still has a popularity or just is forgotten.

I applied for a job at a record store. They gave me a test to see how much I knew about music and/or movies. (I did MUCH better at movies than music, but I didn't get the job anyway.) One question that has always stuck in my mind from that test was; "Name one reggae artist whose last name is NOT 'Marley.'" I kept thinking of the guy who wrote and performed; "The Bigger They Come, The Harder They Fall" but I went blank on his name. (Jimmy Cliff? It's way too late now.)

Here, this should scar your psyche;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnW8_59TE7U
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My wife would get angry at me because I have no interest in celebrities and she did. I might love a band or tv show and have no idea of the real names of performers so don't feel bad. I love The Big Bang Theory, couldn't tell you any of the actors names other than Jim Parsons... I know his cuz it was pounded into my head.

I am happy reggae and Marley are popular. I like ska too, Florida latin and Carib culture introduced their music to me and I enjoy it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
He's one of the mascots for stinky hippies everywhere. But I like his music too.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jamaica mon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL