The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Robert Halpern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myfriendmarcus
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of myfriendmarcus
Hi hypnotists,
I was hoping to hear from anyone who had any stories about the British hypnotist Robert Halpern. To give you some background, he is my father and has been absent from my life for the last 21 years. Many people I have spoken to presume that he has passed away, I hope that they are wrong. There is certainly no evidence to suggest that this is the case, but then again, none that says otherwise. There is a video on Youtube of Robert performing in the Glasgow Pavilion if anyone is interested, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNNZxjUldA. In the comments section you will note that Drew McAdam says that Robert passed, but I have since spoken to Drew on this and he confirmed it was only something he had heard. I hope you all enjoy the video as much as I did, and I am looking forward to hearing your stories if you have them.

Marc
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I loved going to see Robert Halpern when I was a kid. He was a legend in his time. Hypnosis was special back then mysterious and amazing. These were good time for hypnosis and will never be around again.

I remember going to see him in the Caley picture house in Lothian Road Edinburgh now the HMV Picture House where I have done a few shows.

He would sit in the box office room with a curtain in front of him. After you bought a ticket you would move towards the stalls and catch a glimpse of him behind the curtain in his suit smoking his pipe. It scared the crap out of the crowd.

These were great times.
Debzisme
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Debzisme
Hi Marc
I was one of a crowd who would go to see RH every Saturday/Sunday in Edinburgh. He became very friendly with our crowd and even took a few of us for coffee at 5am at his hotel. Very nice! A couple of the lads used to go under so easily that he asked if we'd go down to Sunderland when he went to do his first act there. A few enthusiastic volunteers always helped others come forward. I remember driving down, expenses paid, with a parrot prop sticking through from the back seat and several others in the boot. He'd always carry a wee dictaphone around with him and if you said something funny he'd have it recorded for future use. He seemed a really normal guy off stage. Liked to laugh but seemed very guarded all the same.
I didn't know much about his personal life and tbqh I am surprised he had any children. I am still in touch with one of the lads he was close to and have posted the link to this page on his FB page. Hopefully he might have some more info for you.
Debz
Debzisme
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Debzisme
This info might help you in your search.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recor......name.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Robert Halpern (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL