The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Got this strange little book out of our college libary, they wer throwing it away with a lot of othere books,not as strange, lol, just started having a little read very bizarre and could be som idea's for some routines? anyone else come across this strange book?.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
It's absolutely brilliant!
Oliver Sacks is very readable at the best of times, but bees vignettes are my favourites.

Truly there are ghosts in the machine that is the human brain...
[
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-08-16 06:22, docsteve wrote:
It's absolutely brilliant!
Oliver Sacks is very readable at the best of times, but bees vignettes are my favourites.

Truly there are ghosts in the machine that is the human brain...

Arh many thanks, yes it is a hard book to put down at the moment,im off work with stress and ment to be cutting the lawn and keep stopping to have a little read.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
You can riff on these themes about perception, and the "interface" between the human brain and "reality out there".
Stephen King (& I know you've read his works!) often has themes about damaged brains allowing new perception.

A few years ago I used to tell the tale of how I was struck by lightning in the sea; the effect had a mystic side effect and allowed me to do certain things (mainly mentalism type effects along with Electric t0uch! I had the unit installed in some black brothel creepers - I was a kind of psychic Harry Hill, for those in the UK who may get the reference!)

Enjoy the book FS - it's fascinating.
Steve
[
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Cheers Steve and cool brothel creepers ,never had them like that when I was a teddyboy,lol.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Perception is nice. The matrix and Donnie Darko are good for these perception things too. The brain can mess with a person (and I speak from first hand account).

My brain kept me inside 24/7 for 2 months. I had the nicest prison though, but still... I recollect the first steps outside of my house after that.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I know all about brain and perception took enough LSD and magic mushrooms to really see another side to reality,had flash backs aswell, they were very nasty.From the experiences I had through experimentation with hallucinogenic's I got heavily in to parapsychology and the main topic's were Out of Body Experiences, ESP and Clairvoyance,still another story you can find short lectures by Oliver Sacks on youtube ,most interesting.

My brain kept me inside 24/7 for 2 months. I had the nicest prison though, but still... I recollect the first steps outside of my house after that. From this statement Cirrus sounds like you were in for a short stretch then?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My wife read this and loved it. The closest I came was Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception," which chronicles his afternoon trip on mescaline. Actually pretty cool. I never knew examining the folds in curtains could be so dramatic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-08-16 20:39, Wizard of Oz wrote:
My wife read this and loved it. The closest I came was Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception," which chronicles his afternoon trip on mescaline. Actually pretty cool. I never knew examining the folds in curtains could be so dramatic.

Arh Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception,fantastic read,Yes when Dr Albert Hofmann discovered LSD what an amazing story and discovery that was, found out it's properties as it seeped into his skin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL