The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Not enough audience... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ethenian
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ethenian
Nick, I don't see how I am "attacking" the advice I got. I am a person with my own mind and I wont accept all advice blindly. that's why I question it. Its like when ur teacher teaches you something bk in school. U are allowed to question and express doubts. I would treat it more like a debate. I said its good to ask a friend see the same trick over and over and ask whether he can bust you or not but with story telling and acting its very hard to do that.Since you think its easy and sounded like you have a lot of friends. Why not post a video of you doing a AMC over and over with different plots and patters to a same person and see how it goes.

Although no actual advice was given from you but thanks anyway for your concerns about my social-life and personality and even my motives behind this post. HAHA
ethenian
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ethenian
Lastly thank you for your advice. Jim,ed and atom. I will try to upload some videos after I get my hands on a decent camera!
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Quote:
On 2012-08-21 03:06, ethenian wrote:
Nick, I don't see how I am "attacking" the advice I got.

All right. My advice to you is to get a job. Retail, customer service, telemarketing. All of these will provide you with an 'audience,' that is, a group of people who have to listen to you.

Being able to speak to people on a regular basis will open up opportunities to perform magic. Maybe work at a coffee shop. Imagine how much fun you could have here, being able to perform impromptu cups and balls, sugar packet tricks, broken and restored stir sticks...

Money magic...

(And for the record, the advice you got was that you weren't exactly ready to perform.)
ethenian
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ethenian
Nick, don't mean to be rude but I think I will stop replying to you after this one:).You see how you just assume things?I am unemployed, I am not ready to perform etc(Maybe I really am like that but how can you assume without asking more info,do you find me rude if I assume you are gay or a rubbish magician).Maybe you think you are you are like the patrick in the mentalist:D.But I am sorry I am actually a college student and I volunteer once a week plus I am doing an internship in a bank company atm. Also I don't see how you can summarize all the good advices I got from this whole post into one single sentence(Quote"And for the record, the advice you got was that you weren't exactly ready to perform")Lastly, you didn't answer my question at all(post a video demonstration).
Please actually read through the post before you actually comment:)and don't make BIAS judgement.(Also try to focus on the topic instead of directing attention away) Thanks
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
It doesn't sound like you have a job. So... that's my advice.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Find out if there's a local IBM, SAM, or some other type of magic club in your area. My magic club's meetings usually have a time designated for performances unless there's a lecture scheduled. And we do two or three shows a year for various fundraisers and charities. Good luck.
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
You said any help is appreciated but you keep disagreeing and rejecting the good advice people are giving you Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The way I see it, this could be because ethenian feels he is not getting direct answers to the OP. Some good philosophy, perhaps, but not where and how to find an audience. It is a tough question, especially since none of us know what he is confident enough to try.

Want a captive audience that could appreciate the distraction of some magic? Try hospital waiting rooms, a busy doctor's office, the BMV, the airport, the court house, etc. anywhere people are forced to wait. Or really give busking a shot, as I suggested. Too scary, the thought of striking out in a situation where you rather intrude to get started? Then look in the newspaper meeting notices and solicit those groups for a free magic show. See a sign for a fish fry friday nite? See if you can perform there. Perhaps a busy restaurant would let you entertain people waiting for a table. Or, rent a table at a flea market and perform at your own booth for passers-by.

Be alert to such opportunities- there are a lot of places where people gather who would appreciate some unexpected magic.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
At times I do impromptu magic when in line. This has included:
Starbucks
Wal-mart
Kohl's
Movie Theatre
Library
Restauants
.........etc.etc...etc

Pay off...
Smiles
Practice
Knowledge increase on angles
Better Service
Future Shows
Confidence
Time passes faster
...etc....etc...etc

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ethenian
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ethenian
Well said jim! I will be giving busking a shot even it might end badly!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If you learn something, then no performance ends badly.

Ed
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Listen to Jim and hit the bricks Ethenian. You'll learn more faster there than anywhere.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I think busking, in my humble opinion, is a way too hard an introduction to performing to audiences. Just my opinion, but I've got an alternative suggestion for you! Btw, I can faintly remember being in your shoes and having the same problem once upon a time; i.e running out of audiences to perform to. I agree with you that one's family and friends are not enough particularly when one has practised and learnt moves and routines competently as you have.
I think the answer is volunteering and charity work (not nursing homes as per your post). Look out for charity events and dinners and see if you can volunteer to table hop or to do mix and mingle. Volunteer to churches as well.
Just a couple of ideas... good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, if you "think" busking is "way too hard" then you will never leave the house. Look at my avatar, I am not just "thinking" I am "doing". I do not find it "hard" I find it exhilarating AND it funds my magic habit quite nicely.

I certainly do not discount the positive suggestions you offer, but why the need to make busking sound difficult? It is not- except in your head! In the time it takes you to even figure out who to call I can be out on the street having fun and making money. With an 8' piece of rope, I can draw a crowd in any busy area and usually come away with hat. I can work essentially where I want (provided it is legal), when I want and for how long I want. If something important suddenly comes up this Friday, I can attend to it because I am not committed to performing somewhere.

I hope ethenian will not be dissuaded and will give it a try. And as to "way too hard", I offer this great quote from League Of Their Own:

Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
If its patter you want to work on, see if there's an Improv group or class on your area. Or, of still in school, Forensics te can be a big help. Even Toastmasters can help. Stuff like this helps you think on your feet, allows you to get helpful feedback on presentation and the chance to develop skills to help your magic.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You can do charity work (I do) my first charity event sucked in parts, but so what everyone enjoyed the magic because I smiled a lot and was happy.....and not all of it sucked...and I learned a lot.

No charity events? I find it simpler is just to rock up at a local event with your pocket full of tricks and do walkaround. Families with kids are a good place to start.

"Hi my name is x the magician..."

As for busking I recommend it. I'm doing it myself. The hardest part is getting out the door (this gets easier with practice), the second hard part is getting people to stop. Can't say I am good at this from a money point of view (my audiences are less than 10 people, usually about 5), but from a perfomring for strangers point of view...so what?

Busking wise (and in any wise) I think you need to decide who you want to be and where you want to ultimately perform. A street act might not transfer to a restaurant table (close up vs parlour) but the street is still the best place to get varied audiences...you are not tied to what else is going on it town....it's up to you.

Danny
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Search upcoming charity events online.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 14:06, Countage wrote:
Search upcoming charity events online.

And then turn up anyway
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Or just carry magic tricks every where you go and perform them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Not enough audience... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL