The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reg Donnelley multiplying bottles are a joke. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
If you want a set of these, I have a better idea. Just take your 500$ and light it on fire.

My bottles arrived today. I ordered two sets, one was the Reg Donnelley set, the other a cheap Uday set. The uday set for 100$ looks far better than the Donnelley set. It honestly looks like someone just spray painted the 100$ set (quite poorly) and sold it for 500$. The plastic wrap on top of the bottles are all very crooked, the paint on the bottles are covered in drip marks. They don't look like glass, they look like cheap plastic, even from a good distance. The labels themselves look like they were made from a 10$ printer, and are pixelated and look very cheap. Most have no adhesive backing and are on regular printing paper. Some of the labels are cut in a way that the words and pictures are cut off, and some are cut completely uneven. The DVD looks like it was made in a home computer and a cheap print-your-own-label was put on it, and the music that comes with it is a standard blank music disc.

The 100$ set looks beautiful compared to these, and believe me, I'm being nice about it. Also, since they come with labels like Heinz and Starbucks, and I wonder if he has the licensing to sell them with the logos. I let penguinmagic know this as well, since I'm pretty sure they could get in trouble for this as well.

Fortunately, I called the Penguin company, and they sounded horrified at what I told them, and are going to fully refund me no problems.

Now, I have to try to find a good set all over again.
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
167 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
I bought a set of the Reg Donnelley bottles about a year ago, and I have to agree with everything you said. I returned mine for a full refund.
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
248 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
Wow, I'm very sorry you folks had such a negative experience. A few month back, I bought the new Reg Donnelly white bottles and I feel they look great. They were a replacement for my Harries set that I loved - they got dinged and bent over the years. I cannot speak for his original bottles that you folks bought, but the new white ones really look nice. Hopefully this means he's corrected whatever problems went on with the previous version.
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I bought two inexpensive sets (16 bottles total), stripped the paint off, painted them and added my own labels which are kid/family friendly. Other magicians who have seen them have been fairly impressed. It was a fun project and I am extremely happy how they turned out.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Glad your going to get a full refund.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Yeah I'm getting a few sets of cheaper bottles and I've already sent one set off for painting.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I bought myself an MB several years ago, directly from Reg Donnelly. From my experience, and honest perspective, I can only say nice things... More specifically, to me and my corporate audiences they looked (and worked) fantastic.

Others on the Café have bought this same MB set and have only had nice things to say.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
mossymanmo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of mossymanmo
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2012, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
If you want a set of these, I have a better idea. Just take your 500$ and light it on fire.

My bottles arrived today. I ordered two sets, one was the Reg Donnelley set, the other a cheap Uday set. The uday set for 100$ looks far better than the Donnelley set. It honestly looks like someone just spray painted the 100$ set (quite poorly) and sold it for 500$. The plastic wrap on top of the bottles are all very crooked, the paint on the bottles are covered in drip marks. They don't look like glass, they look like cheap plastic, even from a good distance. The labels themselves look like they were made from a 10$ printer, and are pixelated and look very cheap. Most have no adhesive backing and are on regular printing paper. Some of the labels are cut in a way that the words and pictures are cut off, and some are cut completely uneven. The DVD looks like it was made in a home computer and a cheap print-your-own-label was put on it, and the music that comes with it is a standard blank music disc.

The 100$ set looks beautiful compared to these, and believe me, I'm being nice about it. Also, since they come with labels like Heinz and Starbucks, and I wonder if he has the licensing to sell them with the logos. I let penguinmagic know this as well, since I'm pretty sure they could get in trouble for this as well.

Fortunately, I called the Penguin company, and they sounded horrified at what I told them, and are going to fully refund me no problems.

Now, I have to try to find a good set all over again.

I read this after receiving a set that I ordered directly from Reg Donnelly. It is absolutely gorgeous and very realistic. The negative comments on this post in no way apply to this set.
Either Mr. Donnelly's work is very inconsistent, or, and I think this is the case, there exist rip-offs, possibly from China, as has happened with Porper's Strong Box, Dean's Box, Sheets Quantum Bender, etc.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
The bottles sold today are not the same shape as the ones I bought a few years ago.
I was also NOT very pleased with my set... They have sat on my self ever since.

The new ones that are out now look a lot better.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
What ever happened to quality control in magic props today?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reg Donnelley multiplying bottles are a joke. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL