The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for a silk with a picture of a deck on it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I'm not sure if there's a better place to post this, but since I am relatively new to magic, and the forum, am posting it here.

I am looking for a silk with a picture of a deck of cards on it (preferably a bicycle deck, but since I haven't found anything, would likely settle for a generic deck).

I thought something like this would be good for appearing / vanishing a deck of cards.

I've asked several places, and the best I've gotten is a particular card on a silk.

Thanks,
Bart
Magic is great
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Magic is great
I don't think I have ever seen a silk with a deck of cards on it. I have only seen them with single cards & poker hands such as a full house or royal flush. If you do find one, let us know. Smile
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
You can make one. Select an appropriately sized picture and streach a silk over it. Then just trace the picture with a Sharpie and you will have your Deck Silk. You may want to use a Sharpie Laundry Marker if you plan to wash your silk.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I found this, Bart! Is this OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Silk-De......81819195

Doug
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Thanks for the suggestion about hand drawing one, may wind up doing that, although I'm not good at drawing, so may wind up getting someone to do it for me.

Dougini - while that shows a full deck exposed, and thanks for looking, I guess I wasn't clear in my first description.

I'm thinking about using this to appear a deck, so was hoping for the imprint of either the front of a Bicycle box, or the back of a rider backed card (I use the rider backed cards since it's what most people are used to seeing as a deck of cards).

Posted: Sep 1, 2012 7:30am
I wonder if people even think this is a worthwhile effect.

One of the ways I would use this is for an invisible deck routine.

After having the spectator put the selected card back in the deck and closing it up, I was thinking about using a change bag to then make the deck appear. Show the empty change bag (I have the zippered version so can show the whole bag empty, arm though the bag), then have the spectator reach in and pull out the silk.

The issue, at least if doing this with people at all close, is that the weight and size of the deck does make an impression on the change bag.

It might be able to be overcome with very correct handling of the change bag, but I thought that an easier way would be to just have a silk with a picture of bicycle box of cards on it.

I would then make the deck appear from under the silk.

I like the idea of going from invisible to printed on silk (so really 2-dimensional) to then having an actual deck.

Posted: Sep 1, 2012 7:38am
I didn't mean to not respond to Magic is great - yes, that's basically what I've found so far as well, single card, or a royal flush. And now, as Dougini pointed out, a whole deck face-up on a silk. I may look into seeing what it would cost to get the image I want printed onto a silk, haven't looked into that yet.

Posted: Sep 1, 2012 2:58pm
Since it doesn't look like anyone is actually making these, or that there is much of a demand for them, I wrote to USPC company / Bicycle to see if they would allow me to print the image.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
As expected, Bicycle said no (figured it was worth asking), so I'll just make a generic design, that shows a playing card shaped box and says PLAYING CARDS, maybe with the suits.

|PLAYING ||
|CARDS ||
|¢À ♦ Smile ¢¼ ||

/___________|_/
/______________/
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Okay, so much for trying to draw a card box

:bikes:

, but I think people get the idea.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Snap a digital photo of a deck of cards and print it out on this:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/41......ers.html
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was thinking of, but didn't know about that specific site.

I need to look into whether printing one or two would fall into fair use, especially since if I took a picture of it, I'd be doing it with my picture, not their image.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Check with Tim Sonefelt. He can print images nicely on silk.

Dan.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just took a look at Tim's website, will be sending him a message. I also like some other things I saw there.

Take Care,
Bart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for a silk with a picture of a deck on it. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL