The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Business of Street Magic DVD by Will Stelfox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Will has a new DVD teaching...how to perform on the street.

Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx422OuUOqY&feature=youtu.be

Will's webiste:

http://www.willstelfox.com/Will_Stelfox/Products.html

"Whether you're new to magic or already performing the occasional show, Will Stelfox will show you how he went form learning his first magic trick to becoming a full time successful street performer in under a year. In this comprehensive DVD, Will teaches you the five phases that turn complete strangers into satisfied audiences who are glad to pay you then and there for your entertainment. He then covers the different personalities that spectators have, and shows you how to treat each of them in a different way for the best results.

Will Stelfox also teaches you how to appear as a professional, which often acquires paid events from audience members. Afterwards, he goes into the stages that allow you to safely make the transition from your day job into performing magic as a career. To help you get started, Will Stelfox also teaches you his touches on the magical coin levitation and also teaches you a card transposition that leaves the spectator in 100% belief that you stole their signed card out of THEIR pocket. With real-time performances on the streets, in-depth teaching sessions and an exclusive interview with Andrew Gerard, this DVD is an instant staple of any magician's arsenal"
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Getting tipped by a skateboarder...well played
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Looks good, I ordered it and will review it. U.S. please note the price is in Canadian dollars and the conversion rate is not in our favour, I found out by surprise. It's only less than $2 higher for us just surprised me.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
leolaurindo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of leolaurindo
Looks good. But as FunTimAl said...
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Ha! Don't let his mohawk and fingernail polish fool you.
Will is *very* serious about his street performing.

I haven't seen the DVD myself, but I've seen Will perform and he's a hardworking sidewalk performer.
You can catch him on Robson most days.

Hope he does great with this.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Good to see someone else getting milage out of the Floating Quarter!
That effect just melts brains... good on you, Will!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
As most who know me know that I call a spade a "F^&$()g shovel. Well, I said I'd review this DVD and I will give my honest opinion. First, this is FILLED, chock full of GREAT information! Will takes you thru the whole transformation from setting up a GOOD show, to how to handle the various types of people in the audience. The main thing he teaches that impressed me was how to stop the crowd. He doesn't yell at people or shout "MAGIC SHOW" or blow whistles. He performs a major miracle that just stops the people on the spot. He then teaches you how to do this effect.

His method of teaching is superb! He goes over the little things that make the difference between doing a trick and performing. He also lays out a plan to go from magician, to part time busker to full time busker so that it is foolproof. If you follow this DVD you can go full time the correct way, not like so many of us did. Just one day started busking. If I did what he teaches my first years woukd have been smooth and worry free. I really can't say enough about this EXCELLENT DVD except to say BUY IT!!! If you've been busking for a while or just starting out it will give you insights to guarantee your success.

He leaves no question unanswered, in fact Will went from learning his first magic effect to starting part time busking in 3 months. And the 2 effects he teaches you will KICK BUTT and make you money from day one.

Peter "Paddy" Lansing

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thank you so very much for sharing this product with us Zombie.
Will seems like a very humble low key guy. He deserves much success.
Thanks for the review as well Paddy.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Paddy, with your experience I was very interested in what you were going to say about this DVD.

Is the floating/spinning coin on the tailer his crowd stopper? I've done it myself ( Centrifugal by Magick Balay ) not busking, but just doing it in the park, etc. and people always stop and watch.

Devious, Andrew Gerard posted about it in the Latest and Greatest, but I thought since this area has so many interested in busking, it might be of interest.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yes the coin levitation is his crowd stopper. And he teaches it! I will be using that for my crowd stopper from now on.

He does his busking in his home town and talks about taking vacations for full time buskers. I understand where he is coming from there, just don't agree. Whenever I take any vacations, to visit my grandkids or because my wife is going to a face painting convention, I carry my kit. I will set up and run some shows anyplace I can. Hate to say it (not really, I kinda like saying it) but every vacation has paid for itself with my busking. I have always deposited more after vacations than it cost me to travel, eat, and for hotels.

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Paddy, I like your way to vacation!
WillStelfox
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WillStelfox
Thanks, I appreciate the great review, and kind words from everyone else. I don't get on forums a lot, but I hope that everybody who's interested in my work will find value there.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Here is a short documentary on Will Stelfox in Granville,
For fun Click Here.Good stuff mates!

Will's appearance on Canada's Got Talent Here.
It's obvious that Brother Dan Sperry has had a major influence in his work.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Devious, thanks for sharing that documentary. It was very powerful to hear about Will's journey!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
The site given gets a 404 error. the actual site is
http://www.willstelfox.com/Products.html

noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I just finished viewing this DVD. I have mainly positive things to say about it, with a few nit-picks. I think it is an invaluable resource for someone thinking about starting busking or just getting started. It takes you step-by-step through Will’s strategy for getting started, including addressing the use of a table, rope, tip hat, tip sign, how to get the first person to stop and how to ask for money. It also includes two terrific tricks, a card transposition and floating quarter, which Will explains with great clarity and in detail. In fact, one of the hall marks of Will’s teaching approach is that he is extremely clear, concrete and complete in all of his explanations. An interesting feature of the DVD is how Will breaks down different crowd types and individual types you will encounter, and how to deal with them. I’ve never seen this particular discussion on any busking DVD before, and I think his comments are spot on. One of the few things I didn’t like about the DVD is that Will doesn’t include video of his entire performance, although he does provide select clips to illustrate some of his points. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and, in my view, video of a live performance is worth a 1000 hours of someone talking about how to do something instead of just showing it. In other words, Will never shows us his “act.” One thing I’m looking for on a busking dvd is a person’s act, both because it is extremely instructive and validates what the performer is talking about. (Contrast this with “Four of a Kind” by Jimmy Talksalot/Eric Evans et al where the meat of the DVD is the full performances of 4 different performers, including shots of the audience watching the performances). Not that Will’s comments and observations about busking aren’t, for the most part, informative and insightful. I should also mention that I sense from the thrust of the DVD that Will’s show falls somewhere between a trickle show and small sidewalk or door front show. He doesn’t talk about the differences between such a show and a half circle show and full circle show. Probably because he has not yet mastered those styles of performing. I bring this up because some of the comments Will makes, while fair enough when applied to a door front show, do not, in my opinion, apply to larger shows. For example, Will explicitly recommends against using hat lines. He lays out a more indirect and subtle approach for letting your audience know you’re expecting a tip without asking for it directly. While I think his approach can be appropriate for a very small door front show where you establish a much more intimate relationship with your audience, I think it is a bad strategy for a larger gathering of people, certainly starting around 15 or 20 people, and definitely for 50, or 75 or 100. When you’re performing for a larger group, well scripted hat lines are essential. Another short coming of the dvd, which would have been addressed had Will provided footage of his full performance, is that a viewer has little idea how to structure a show, which is another key element in building, holding and successfully hatting an audience. Will tells the beginner to start with a 3 minute show, and then to expand its length over time. Three minutes is probably one trick, that is, a trickle show. But once you expand the show, how many tricks you do, how long you run, and the choices you make about the types of tricks are key to how successful your street show will be. If you’re just getting started in busking, as I said initially, I do think this is a useful DVD, and it could have been terrific if Will had included footage of his entire act.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Noland, thanks for the detailed review. Very kind of you to take the time for us.
WillStelfox
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WillStelfox
Thanks for all the kind words!!! I'm putting the DVD up for $10 off for the next 48 hours as a thanks.

http://www.willstelfox.com
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Will, clicked through a Café ad (Just to let you know that your marketing is working). Got the DVD, just watched it well done.

Excellent thinking. I had Kozmo's DVD, but was stuck on what to use as a gentle opener, loved your approach, your thinking about approach and building is very thoughtful, and the teaching is enjoyable.

Thank you. Looking at your business figures on the DVD it is obvious that I will not have to worry about Obama raising taxes on individuals earning over 250K until year two, or if my pitches are a little slow, year three.

Seriously, the complete package is well done. Enjoyed the DVD, well worth the money.

Thank you.

Tony
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
I enjoyed this video. it was fast paced and to the point. The work on the floating coin was useful. A couple of simple things but has improved the way I prepare for this and perform it.I can't believe Will cut a hole in his leather jacket.
I also liked the gentle pitch.I will try this.
I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Will in action. I am not sure if he has a structured program though.
The video was very well produced.

Chappelly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Business of Street Magic DVD by Will Stelfox (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL