The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Esquire Features Teller’s “Shadows” Lawsuit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Teller has filed suit, but Bakardy can’t be found. The court has allowed that public announcements for four weeks will be sufficient.

This is a great, interesting, and well-written article. It’ll take a few minutes to read, but well worth the time!

http://www.esquire.com/features/teller-honor-system-1012

(Mods: Posted previously, but it fell at the end of a badly derailed thread. Trying again! Smile )
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Such a great write-up! I had originally bought this issue in the store the other day b/c of Clint Eastwood being on the cover and was surprised to see the article about Teller in it (bonus!) There's even a built-in magic trick in the magazine itself!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
littleboy
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of littleboy
Very nice article, loved the photo of the young teller on the third page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That mean it's okay to sue Santa for breach of promise and advertise in the semi-local papers?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Yes, and it also means it's OK to sue someone for doing exactly what you have made a fortune doing - exposing the secrets of many other creative artists. A case of whose ox is gored...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 21:15, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Yes, and it also means it's OK to sue someone for doing exactly what you have made a fortune doing - exposing the secrets of many other creative artists. A case of whose ox is gored...

Did you read the entire article? Or any of it?

I remember years ago, when P&T first had a show on UK TV, they did some great magic and were very funny. You know, entertaining.

However, my memory must be terrible, as I now realise they have always been the enemy of all true magicians, deserving little less than a lynching. Why, that Teller couldn't perform magic if his life depended on it; same goes for that loudmouthed sidekick. Bungling amateurs, the pair of them!

Sheesh.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Hardest part of reading posts is not hearing the expression or emotion.

Sorry to be so thick tomsk192, but how do you mean this to be taken.

Thank you for expounding.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 04:52, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 21:15, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:

Did you read the entire article? Or any of it?

I remember years ago, when P&T first had a show on UK TV, they did some great magic and were very funny. You know, entertaining.

However, my memory must be terrible, as I now realise they have always been the enemy of all true magicians, deserving little less than a lynching. Why, that Teller couldn't perform magic if his life depended on it; same goes for that loudmouthed sidekick. Bungling amateurs, the pair of them!

Sheesh.

Yes, I did read the article- all of it. Was there something I missed that would make my post inaccurate? If so, please correct me...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-12 20:31, Peter McMillan wrote:
Hardest part of reading posts is not hearing the expression or emotion.

The hard part is writing in a way that coveys the emotion. Such is usually described in the FAQ for newbies who have yet to learn that what they write is its own thing and distinct from what they are thinking or feeling as they write. Shelly's poem about a statue fragment found in the sand comes to mind.

So, any trace of the person accused of selling Teller's trick? Or are we back in that bookstore?
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Its not just magic, anyone who watches the Big Bang Theory will see a short text bit at the end, just as Houdini had to protect his magic by writing them into plays, so it is with Hollywood.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-02 09:09, magicgettogether wrote:
Its not just magic, anyone who watches the Big Bang Theory will see a short text bit at the end, just as Houdini had to protect his magic by writing them into plays, so it is with Hollywood.

Other way around - protection for plays (fixed works) predates any magician seeking to apply that notion to routines. And it does not bear upon the matter at hand.

Where is the defendant?
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
It might be for the best if the defendant does not show up and it never goes to trial, at least it keeps the threat of being sued alive. If Teller looses its open season on magic.

Even if Teller wins I don't think it will be a big win for magic, but open season on effects that are not copyrighted with huge financial backing. Even Teller did not want to haggle through this and tried paying the person off before getting legally entangled in this.

IMO of course.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-02 11:52, magicgettogether wrote:
It might be for the best if the defendant does not show up and it never goes to trial,...

A straw man claim could burn us all. As a prank it's amusing. A careful read of the article supports a claim that it's a prank.

If you don't value the notion of habeus corpus...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Esquire Features Teller’s “Shadows” Lawsuit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL