The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
May I say that what is so important in our work is to have a number of different devices available to attain information. We can never be too well prepared. Richard Busch's works are mandatory reading and he is a giant in our field. I can only begin to wonder how much further we will be a few years from now with great minds like his.

To add one other bit of information to this thread, my late friend Al Mann had a brilliant way to get rid of the pieces without burning. This works great if you are situated in one spot and are doing readings using a center tear. Just get a dark colored wine bottle and stick the torn pieces into it after doing the steal! It works great and makes all the sense in the world.

Richard
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2003-10-27 22:45, shrink wrote:
Ive seen the Osterlind video where he does the centre tear a number of times in a group before or after the show. And if Richard had advertised it and I bought it I would've been happy with the buy. It is a great learning tool. Even although I don't use the centre tear.

Gee Im quoting myself! Wait a minute? It was advertised somewhere on the Café I think?
And I did buy it and I am more than happy with it! Smile I can also recommend Richard O's Steel Blindfold its really cool.
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
I can't recall anyone asking me:

"Why are you tearing it up for?"

There isn't anything illogical really about tearing. Even burning can have a place (although I stopped burning many moons ago after the pieces just refused to burn leaving me look rather silly).

Tearing only become illogical if you have made the suggestion previously that you are having the thought committed possibly for later verification.

I have one routine that makes use of a tear. Justification for the tear is built into the routine which is great for people who worry about such things.

Having different ways to obtain information is important as it means you avoid using the same process throughout.

If you are going to tear in a way that leaves you with 'something guilty' do make sure you get rid of it safely. Don't stick it in the the bin (garbage) at the location you are performing.

Marc Climens
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
The other thing about centre tears they have been exposed quite a lot. Even although you do a great tear and no one sees how its done it may still raise suspiscion. Where the other kind look totally innocent if done right.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
The problem I have always had with it was wondering why do you tear it up and then burn it? If you want to burn it, just burn it. So learning the PCT and some good peeks was like an epiphony. Thank you, Richard! You too, Richard!
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
You also might like to check out the Ja Ja Center tear from the first of the Jas Jakutsch three volume set of books "Completely Mental".
It is pretty much hinted at in these books that the author is really Gary Kurtz.
Imhotep
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Imhotep
Hi Sc24evr,

I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about different methods of doing the Center Tear as possible. I this way, you can find one that is ideal for you.

You don't need to burn the paper.

While the Center Tear has been exposed in children's books and the like, those Mentalists who are really working for real people still continue to use it, and truly mystify people.

Done well, it is a complete mind blower. A great illustration of this is to see the bonus footage on Richard Osterlind's recent video/DVD release. He does it informally for a group of people standing in a kitchen between filming. He does it over and over, and KILLS with it.

Most Mentalists would not encourage you do do it again and again for the same group. but the point is, if presented well, it will kill every time.

There is another video available of a Mentalist who performs and teaches a Center Tear mehtod. He presents the version as his own, although that Center Tear is actually Al Baker's. I guess if you steal from the dead, they can't come back to haunt you...

If you wish to learn as much about the Center Tear as possible, get a copy of the now out-of-print, "The Purloined Thought" by Al Mann. It is, to date, the most comprehensive book on center tear methods. You can do a search on eBay. Sometimes, copies show up there. You will see Al Baker's method there also. He is given full credit in Al Mann's book, however.

As mentioned previously, it is also good to know some peek methods. Richard Busch's books are excellent.

I hope this is a help.

Imhotep
georgewkaye
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of georgewkaye
Somebody - I forget who, gave me a very good idea.
Ask somebody to think of something, write it on the paper and fold it up.
Try to read their mind and fail completly! Tear up the paper and throw it away.
Ask them to repeat the effect, this time tearing up the paper themselves whilst you turn your back - and read the first center that you have.
The spectator will remember that they wrote the word on the paper and tore it up! They will forget that you got your sticky mits on it at all!
Huge fun! Obviously you can't repeat it to the same spectator but hey!
George. Smile
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
Ya ive heard of that one too. It was in Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
George Anderson suggested something similar, I believe.

Ben
dyddanwy
View Profile
Regular user
Chester. UK
108 Posts

Profile of dyddanwy
Ted Lesley also suggested the 'write it again' idea as an 'out' when the spectaotor's writing was illegible. While they are rewriting it with your back turned, you have an excellent opportunity to scritinise the original.

JD Smile
~ ~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL