The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » It's in the bag... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
I know doctor bags have been mentioned before, but the ones I've seen have been rather expensive. This just might be what the doctor ordered for some of you.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Accesso......9580.htm
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
What I'm not seeing is how this differs from bags you can get a lot cheaper from any hardware store.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
It seems well thought out and can you find;

The magic bag styled after the classic "Doctor's Bag" provides you with 28 individual compartments, 10 exterior pockets and 14 interior pockets to help keep your magic organized.

all that for $29.95 elsewhere?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 12:52, gomerel wrote:
What I'm not seeing is how this differs from bags you can get a lot cheaper from any hardware store.

Making inflammatory statements without substantial references to back them up, is only meant to distort the issue.

I have never seen a top loading bag outside of a men's Shaving kit bag. Unlike many of the poster's on the Café, I actually go to the physical stores and shop and look around, other then Internet.

Being your statement gave no reference, it is worthless as a positive idea for others to pursue.

As for the original post, if one is considering a close-up bag to take their larger items with them, this looks like a worthwhile bag to consider.

The main advantage to this bag is it size and being able to use it as Servante as well as a carrier. Don Alan used the Doctor Bag for years, and he would put the bag between his legs for his Lump of Coal or Giant Nut production and his Chop Cup productions. If you wish to do more then some card and coin effects, this just may work for many magicians.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have used an actual Dr. bag for years. One large compartment. It holds several decks of cards, a few packet trick holders, small box for card to box, 2 coin purses either 1 set of cups with loads or chop cup and a wand. I'm the one who packs it, so I know where everything is and it stays out of sight at a gig anyway, but it looks classy when I walk in the door with a nice leather bag. I see a lot of magicians using a silver briefcase/toolkit from home depot and I just think those look awful...but to each his own.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree pepka. There is a mystique to the Dr. bag, that few other cases have.
I like your website by the way. Very clean looking.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Pardon me. I am new. I don't understand how my question was an inflammatory statement. It was a question not a statement. I would like a doctor bag style bag for my stuff. So here is an example for $8.00. http://toolmonger.com/2007/04/14/cheap-a......ool-bag/ How is the Magic Doctor Bag different?
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
I think the main difference is the vast number of individual pockets on the doctor bag. You'll save money buying the canvas tool bag, but it doesn't have all the separate compartments so you'll spend a lot of time digging through. Jumbled all together is a good way to end up with some damage to the various props, too.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
And the best thing about the canvas tool bag is room for spackle and a scraper to patch up drywalls.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 21:53, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I agree pepka. There is a mystique to the Dr. bag, that few other cases have.
I like your website by the way. Very clean looking.

Thanks Wizard!!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The bag shown in the OP is awful.

I also agree with Pepka (only because he has nice legs) that silver tool boxes are also awful.

Not awful if you're keeping them at home but if you're taking them out for others to see in a professional setting? ..... OMG
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I do have nice legs......sturdy. You could hold up a baby grand with these babies. Anyway.....I've had my eye on one of THESE for quite a while. I'm thinking as a Xmas present for myself. To me THIS is what a magician's case would look like, but I don't think too many would use. Anyone ever use anything by Saddleback Leather?

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic......ory=1289
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thank you Highcard. However, I have a cheapo tool bag that has at least two dozen pockets. (It's downstairs or I would count.)
Miguel Abril
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Miguel Abril
Out of stock :/
Dean Jones
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dean Jones
I am currently having a leather magic case made for my SteamPunk persona. However I feel like I have to defend the metal flight case a little. It must depend on where you gig I suppose because I've had people comment that my flight case makes me look very professional when I show up to a gig with it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For some performances, I use a catalog case. It doesn't distract, yet looks nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » It's in the bag... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL