The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How did you summer season go? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Just wondering how your summer/early fall busking season went. Any good stories, tips or observances to share? Jim
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It is hard enough to find a good busking spot in the middle of Ohio, but it rained most weekends of the summer here so the few good outside venues, were all pretty much washed out.

My day job was also so busy this year, as a lot of folks quit or got fired, and I actually had to accrue a week of vacation from last year (couldn't be gone for even a day), and still haven't taken any of that week, or any of my two from this year. So I am now doing three people's jobs, in addition to the one I was hired to do. The money is good, and I like what I do, but I really need a break to get away and do magic. But not this year...

Anyway when the weather finally cleared here a bit, I got pneumonia in late June, along with various continuing aliments after the pneumonia, including a dramatic lack of stamina, so I couldn't perform for more than a couple of hours at a time. And as a result of all of that, I never really got anything rolling this year.

I did manage to sharpen my act a bit inside at a very upscale flea market where I periodically performed in the common areas.

But all in all, this season wasn't that much fun for me.

One good thing that did happen though, is that it has made me all the hungrier for the next opportunity, even if I have to go someplace warm just to perform.

Hmmm, Maybe I can get to N.O. some time after the first of year...(But don't worry guys, you don't need to be concerned at all about me showing up. Most folks don't believe I am a real magician anyway...)

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
This spring started off with me spending time looking for a decent spot. I tried a bunch of places in Denver's downtown area (referred to here as Lodo) with nominal success.
In May I was laid off from my day job (a blessing and a curse) and about the same time a magician friend of mine asked me to join a group of performers at an outdoor area adjacent to our pedestrian mall.
Turns out that I was the only performer of any kind for most evenings and weekends. It was nothing short of great for me. Enough traffic, no hassels, great pitch... I had a chance to hone my act and make some money.
Now that the day job is back (at least temporarily) I have something to daydream about during those slow times. I can't wait for next season!

Bro D - Sorry to hear about the health issues. Stay well.

Kid - Where in the SouthWest are you? PM me if you want.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Swami, stuck here in Albuquerque, NM until the first week of December, then I move to Oklahoma (Tulsa area).
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
My Season went Well - I finally developed my own cups and balls routine - Called the Phone Home Technique and made a new deck princple Called the TwIsTeD DeCk principle.

Other than that- the hats were good, and I met some very nice people Smile Got to chat with a couple of Buskers up the Vancouver way and purchased some nifty new "effects of the months"

Also figured out that Hryum the haunted hank is useful for a Napkin as Well as a magic trick (Damn exploding sharpies!!!!)

Anyway- Worst story - I was in the middle of a jumbo version of here then there and the wind picked up - blew my table over -lost my sponges, lost my cards, lost my rings HORRIBLE!!!
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How did you summer season go? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL