The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove cage production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

taddo
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of taddo
Does anyone know a good method for the dove to stay on the perch during an appearing dove cage production. It seems I only get lucky if the dove winds up on the perch.

taddo
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Taddo: I used to have the problem when I first started using the cage. Like everything else in dove magic, it takes training. Each time you produce the cage, reach in and put the bird on the perch. You may want to try the food deprivation technique and each time you put the bird on the perch, give him a few seeds from your hand. A smooth production rather than a jerky one will also help keep the dove on the perch.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Dave is right, if you let the cage open on its own the dove should stay on the perch. And the more you work with it it will know to stay there. If you jerk the cage during production you'll most likely jerk the bird off the perch as well. Plus I think that if you "jerk" the cage open when you produce it it looks like you're doing something funny. If you just pull the cover away and let the cage open on its own with little movement is a starteling production.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
taddo
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of taddo
How bad is it to produce a cage with the bird off the perch. Obviously if the bird is on, the more magical it is.....I agree with Dave that of course it will take some training.

taddo
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I personally have never heard a bad comment about the bird not being on the perch. The audience is impressed first with the cage production and then secondly that it has a bird inside. Being on or off the perch seems to be a non-issue in my opinion.
Where the magic begins
taddo
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of taddo
Good, because it seems only luck for it to wind up on the perch til some more training is done. Also because it is open I am assuming the bird can stay loaded for a while longer then if in a harness???

taddo
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I use a smaller bird for the cage and load it prior to my routine which is 15 minutes in length. The cage is the last effect so yes, the bird can stay in it longer.
Where the magic begins
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Would any of you mind telling me which model cage you use? Also, how many different models are there on the market today? Smile
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I use the largest Harakan, Owens makes one too I think, and a company in Europe makes one as well. DON NOT BUY THE ONES MADE IN INDIA- they look a lot like the Harakan ones but are not as safe. You can tell the difference by the perch. Harakan's is white and plastic(this is the model all the pros use, ie:Joseph, Byrne, Tony, the Majestix) The ones from India have a metal perch. Harakan makes his all by hand and uses really nice materials. They are truely beautiful hand crafted props.

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
taddo
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of taddo
I have an owens one which is also nice but slightly bigger then the harakan one.

taddo
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree with Dan. I bought one of the Indian ones by mistake. It looks ok but is marginal in workmanship.

I glued some sandpaper on the perch of my Harakan when I did a bird years ago. Also to keep the bird on the perch, about a 1/4 turn and bump down will usually open the perch and keep the bird on. Some guys spin the thing around like a merry go round and expect the bird to stay on....DA!
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove cage production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL