The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Effects/routines with a shot glass? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've been wanting to work on some routines involving a shot glass, but not a cups and balls, nor chop cup routine.
Something other than/beyond a production of the glass with liquid, same goes for a vanish.

It certainly lends itself to some coin work.

Does anyone have any suggestions/sources?
Thanks
Glenn
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Check out Shaun Robison's lecture on Penguin. He has a nice coin routine using a shot glass that's very visual and not crazy difficult. Very nice.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Goshman followed up his famous salt an pepper shaker routine with a coin returning to a shot glass. His misdirection and timing were amazing.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Thanks for the suggestions. I imagined a coin effect would likely be the likely way to go.

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you're willing to consider an "Old Fashioned" glass, or small "Rocks" glass instead of a shotglass, try to catch Kainoa Harbottle's new lecture. He's teaching a coins across routine that will play for even a very large crowd, and it's so good, it had me searching thrift shops for just the right glass for weeks.

If shotglasses are your thing, what about Scott Alexander's routine? It's kind of a chop cup routine, but the shot glass is the ball, not the cup. And Steve Beam, I think, had a routine where you produce a shotglass from your eye. That's a goodie.

Again, depending on the size of your shotglass, there's David Roth's Purse and Glass routine, and John Carney's coin and glass routine "Soft Glass" from Richard's Almanac. And also in the Almanac, Mike Gallo's handling of the Ramsay Cylinder and Coins with a napkin-covered glass instead of a cylinder. And, Miguel Gea has a brilliant coins from glass routine on his DVD.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mr. Kam, thank you for all the wonderful references!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Grandaddy of them all... Abbott's SQUASH... a killer trick.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Thanks Mr. Kam, those all sound brilliant. I'm going to have to look into those ones.

Mr. Biro, thanks, but as I said, I'm looking for material beyond the vanish and or production of the glass.
Nothing wrong with them, I just already have a production and vanish, and I'm looking to expand on what I've for in between.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The classic Harry Riser walnut trick also uses an old-fashioned glass. As does the classic Pete Biro Nutty Surprise.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
This might work with a shot glass:

Posted: Feb 4, 2012 10:36am
Coin & Glass

Soft Glass by Jonn Carney
Carneycopia, p 25

Effect: You drop a coin in a glass and it penetrates the bottom. The glass is turned over and the coin is dropped on the bottom. Again it penetrates the glass. The coin penetrates a third time while between the table and the bottom of the glass. A napkin is now placed over the mouth of the glass. A coin is dropped apenny falls through the glass. Finally the napkin covered glass is smashed and now the glass has penetrated the table.

John uses a nice convincer in the way he wraps the glass in the napkin. It's a great impromptu routine and everything can be examined. You do need to be seated.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Ron Wilson produces a shot glass at the end of his egg bag routine
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Mr. Kam's overwhelming endorsement of Kainoa's lecture notes compelled me to rush to his site just now and buy them. Only 20 bucks seems like a deal. Looking forward to diving into this material (also, his Halloween card trick is easy and perfect for this time of year - only $6). I feel like a Harbottle groupie all of a sudden, but he's got some good stuff on there right now and most of it is downloadable.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Like most coin men, I love Kainoa's work as well. Sometimes I wish that he would do a DVD, for some of his sophisticated moves would be easier to learn from a video.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Ali Bongo Vodka surprise ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Effects/routines with a shot glass? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL