The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Saw a nice close up case at Walmart. well it's a make up case (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
It was $30 bucks but real nice. I am just too cheap to get it. To me I would pay $15 tops. Anyone have one? and if so, is it good?
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I saw at walmart once a really nice, shiny chrome/silver looking CD case, one of those with the plastic sheets in side and each side of each sheet holds 4 cds, idk how much it was but I was thinking that would the plastic sheets removed and some foam cut to fit it, it would make a wonderful closeup case.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Lowes has some similar cases at cheap prices, I bought a couple for telescope supplies. Decent size case for about 20 each.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 20:12, magic8161 wrote:
It was $30 bucks but real nice iam just to cheap to get it. to me I would pay $15 tops. Anyone have one? and if so is it good?

Please give an Internet website reference so people know what you are talking about. Although, in 2013, I doubt you will find any type or decent or nice container for $15. Even a small black case at Office Depot costs $20.
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
I got this at Harbor Freight on sale for $22.00.

Click here to view attached image.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I just bought a make up case at kmart yesterday $30, fits my props nicely. The case is black leather, and looks really nice. The inside looks a bit "girly" but not many people should be looking inside my case in the first place.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Everything I own has wheels underneath, or a handle on top!
On the road, when people asked me where I lived, I would point to my motor home, and say, "Everything I own..."

As a "roadie", I became a "case freak". Show prop case(s): act, spare props, close up kit, dove carrier, etc.

Nearly everything I own or owned, was in a case, --"with a handle on top".

I bought one or two from luggage companies, but 95% came from yard sales, and thrift stores. I could write off (tax purposes)any case I wanted, but I'm a "great depression raised kid". The saying in the '30s, was: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

--and by spending in a thrift shop, I was helping out (indirectly)someone who needed that help. (except for GOODWILL stores. They're owned by a private corporation. The corp. gets "stock" donated, pays employees minimum wage, and profits go to the corporation.

Just last week, I stopped at St. Vincent de Paul. I picked up a 'catalog' case. It looked new. Not a scratch on it, etc. These cases retail anywhere from $50 and up. I got it for $2. I have a half dozen catalog cases already. I don't NEED another, but it was too cheap to pass it up. I'm a 'case freak'!!! Jay Scott Berry had his lecture props in a little "silver" case, about10" x 2" x 8". He probably paid $25. for it. I bought one two weeks ago for $1.00.

When I was in the Navy ('51-'55)my stand up act case was a cigar box size, leather case sold as a case to carry toiletries. (shaving stuff, tooth brush, etc.)Now, they're made of nylon or ?, but they're available for a buck or two--at thrift stores. Mine, back then,carried props for a 30 minute act. I have several--each with close up props.

For awhile, companies made neat little cases for 8 track tapes (remember those?) cassette tapes, etc. Just rip out the dividers, and voila! I have 3 or 4. I've never paid more than $2 or $3!

Am I "cheap"? No, just "thrifty"! I'm comfortably retired. Jay Marshall and I had a "route" of thrift stores in Chicago. It was a "regular expedition", every couple weeks.

Karrell Fox's club act was in a little case about 15" long x 9" wide x 9" deep. It carried the act AND THE TRIPOD TABLE BASE. The case fastened to the tripod and he worked out of it. I asked "Where did you get that neat little tripe?" He said, "I found it in an office supply store. It's the stand for a stenotype machine that court reporters use." He had paid $75 for it (35 years ago). The following fall,I found one in a Turlock, Calilfornia thrift shop (like new) for one dollar. Karrell nearly cried when I told him!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I keep my Anverdi Color Match "cleverly hidden" in one of Dick Oslund's old "cases with a handle on top"...

Dick....this one is black vinyl and looks like a "Doctor's Bag"....and it's PERFECT for the Anverdi Color Match.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! I have three of those! (Two are 'spares'! Ihave two small ones and one larger one. I "found" them in TRUCK STOPS. Truckers use them to carry in a change of underwear and shaving gear, etc. when they use the truck stop showers.
First one was a gift (free!!!). I bought the other two. And (don't tell anyone) I paid retail! (about 45. for the two.) They are well worth it. One carries close up stuff, and the other was bought as a spare. Now, I'm retired, so I'll probably offer the spare for sale. It's new, never used.

At 81, I am beginning to DEcumulate!!!

SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ChrisTheImpossible
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, Florida
70 Posts

Profile of ChrisTheImpossible
I am looking for a table like the Viking Table or something similiar. Anyone selling any used tables? I may possibly be interested. Thanks,
www.MagicJunky.com
"A place for Magicians, Clowns, and Ventriloquists to Buy, Sell, and Trade new and or used items Free!"
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 18:14, Andy Tauber wrote:

I got the identical box at Home Depot Canada in 2011. I believe it was $19.99 CAD. Works perfect.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
ChrisTheImpossible
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, Florida
70 Posts

Profile of ChrisTheImpossible
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 18:14, Andy Tauber wrote:

Wow! That looks great. I will have to go take a look at Harbor Freight and see if they have these boxes available. Remember the name of it?
www.MagicJunky.com
"A place for Magicians, Clowns, and Ventriloquists to Buy, Sell, and Trade new and or used items Free!"
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
Remember the name of it?

Here it is at Home Depot. Plano os the name brand, it is in the toolbox section. See the pic, same item:

http://www.torontoprices.ca/Product/Tool......243053fb

I can assure you it is the same box as I bought it at HD and have decks in the smaller section just as in the Harbor Freight pic earlier.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
The tool box look nice Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
I love the new spinner luggage (four wheels)
I found a set at Target and filled it with the same photographic foam 15.99 sold in thos airtight cases, that it made my box drop proof from ten feet and very convenient. In it's carry on size I never have to worry about it being 'lost'
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Michael Ammar had a great idea, one which he used doing restaurant work and it was to use a make up case. But not the flashy box most of us think about. Instead, he used a clear make up bag, kind of like a travel bag made out of see through vinyl. He didn't work out of this case while table hopping of course, but used it for storage. The advantages are that you can easily see that you have everything you need for a gig with the case closed. It also make you work more efficiently. Instead of trying to work out of a case full of props you have to have everything tightly routined because you can't take more props than you can use in three hours of table hopping.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Saw a nice close up case at Walmart. well it's a make up case (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL