The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel maintenance and deconstructing your ring flight... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyPorter
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of TonyPorter
I recall reading a post on here from someone who removed the El Duco reel from their Ring Flight in order to use it for Silk through Mic etc. I can't find that post so I'm hoping someone here may have had experience pulling apart their ring flight. At first glance it looks like the reel is in the case to stay, so before I go damaging anything I'd like to get some advice from anyone who has done this successfully.

Secondly, I have an old finger reel that I bought YEARS ago, I can't remember the brand, it looks a bit like a Kirkendall. It has a brake (pressure on the central pad), I don't use the brake but lately the reel has been sticking at the most inopportune moments. I don't know whether it's something to do with the brake or the spring or whatever. Also, the reel seems to have lost some of its power. If anyone has any advice to give on how I can overcome the problems with this reel I'd really appreciate it...AND it may remove the need for me to pull apart my Ring Flight. Smile

Thank you
Porter
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can use the search engine on the Café to search reels. It has been described several times how to repair a reel.

Also Google "George Kirkendall" to look for his repair sheet online that tells you how to take it apart. The reference is also given here in this Topic.

Note and advice: The speed of the reel has nothing to do with the operation or tricks used for a penetration. The person works at the speed of the reel, not the other way around. The purpose of the reel is only to assist in making the trick look more magical and assist the person in the handling, making it easier then the old sleight of hand method.
TonyPorter
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of TonyPorter
I did search previous threads Bill but didn't find an answer to my questions, hence my post. However, what I did find in ALL those threads were your numerous, belligerent interjections and assertions that 'speed has nothing to do with it' etc., so I believe you've stated that enough now. When making my original post I did joke to my partner that you would probably put in an appearance and even what the content of your post would be and I'm happy to say that you didn't disappoint. Smile Perhaps I should have been a mentalist. Smile

Now concerning my original post, is there anyone who isn't Bill who can offer advice? Smile I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Porter
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Your reel may be dirty or need lubrication. George Kirkendall's directions for his reels came with diretions how to open and repair the reels. I have done this but it is not a job for the faint of heart.

As for the performanace, Do you kind of loft the silk as you prepare for the penatration? This will take strain of the reel and lessen the work. I would use no longer than a 24" 6 silk also because of the weight.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel maintenance and deconstructing your ring flight... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL