The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Child involved in shooting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 00:26, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 10:21, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
So I did a bit of reading last night. There are basically two kinds of gun statistics in America. You have injury and body counts, which tend to be pretty uncontroversial. Then you have social scientists getting people to tell them how many criminals they've shot at, and it's a mess. Criminologist Gary Kleck from Florida State has estimated gun numbers that have led two discussions: one noting how horrible life would be without guns, and one counting alleged methodological errors in his study. While I didn't (and won't) have the time to look closely at Kleck's work, it doesn't look good at first glance. (One obvious problem with Kleck's work is that he doesn't get his respondents to explain what they mean by "using a gun in self defense". Shooting a charging elk would count, as would being a soldier in a combat zone, or being a police officer. Nobody knows what he's measuring, including Kleck.)

In short, it looks as though there is way too much noise in the data for me to say anything about yesterday's claim, so I'll withdraw it. I suspect that more innocent people than felons are shot by fearful civilians, but the evidence is nowhere near clean enough to back it up.

John

Seems like you missed what Kleck said is good about guns at home for protection. Smile

Here is research discussion by Kleck as I looked him because you mentioned him. I never heard of him before. http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgeff.html Seems guns are quite safe in home defense as opposed to what you have thought. Also much better than cooperating with the criminal or doing nothing.

Either I was unclear, or you misread me. I am familiar with the Kleck work (i.e. I've read it and spent a bit of time going through some of the published critiques; I have not studied it in depth). Almost every social scientist disputes his methods and his reporting. From what I have read deeply enough to understand, Kleck's work is methodologically awful. (e.g. his samples aren't random, he over samples some regions, he oversamples some ethnic groups while undersampling others, he oversamples males and undersamples females, his questions are vague and leading).

It isn't hard to see why special interest groups such as the NRA rely heavily on Kleck and ignore everything else.

The problem is that his work has generated so much response that it is very difficult to tell a) which, if any, of his results are solid, and b) which of the alternate studies are worth believing.

In short, I have no faith in Kleck's work, but I do not know the field well enough to make positive conclusions about numbers.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 10:50, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 00:26, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 10:21, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
So I did a bit of reading last night. There are basically two kinds of gun statistics in America. You have injury and body counts, which tend to be pretty uncontroversial. Then you have social scientists getting people to tell them how many criminals they've shot at, and it's a mess. Criminologist Gary Kleck from Florida State has estimated gun numbers that have led two discussions: one noting how horrible life would be without guns, and one counting alleged methodological errors in his study. While I didn't (and won't) have the time to look closely at Kleck's work, it doesn't look good at first glance. (One obvious problem with Kleck's work is that he doesn't get his respondents to explain what they mean by "using a gun in self defense". Shooting a charging elk would count, as would being a soldier in a combat zone, or being a police officer. Nobody knows what he's measuring, including Kleck.)

In short, it looks as though there is way too much noise in the data for me to say anything about yesterday's claim, so I'll withdraw it. I suspect that more innocent people than felons are shot by fearful civilians, but the evidence is nowhere near clean enough to back it up.

John

Seems like you missed what Kleck said is good about guns at home for protection. Smile

Here is research discussion by Kleck as I looked him because you mentioned him. I never heard of him before. http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgeff.html Seems guns are quite safe in home defense as opposed to what you have thought. Also much better than cooperating with the criminal or doing nothing.

Either I was unclear, or you misread me. I am familiar with the Kleck work (i.e. I've read it and spent a bit of time going through some of the published critiques; I have not studied it in depth). Almost every social scientist disputes his methods and his reporting. From what I have read deeply enough to understand, Kleck's work is methodologically awful. (e.g. his samples aren't random, he over samples some regions, he oversamples some ethnic groups while undersampling others, he oversamples males and undersamples females, his questions are vague and leading).

It isn't hard to see why special interest groups such as the NRA rely heavily on Kleck and ignore everything else.

The problem is that his work has generated so much response that it is very difficult to tell a) which, if any, of his results are solid, and b) which of the alternate studies are worth believing.

In short, I have no faith in Kleck's work, but I do not know the field well enough to make positive conclusions about numbers.

John

I was realy questioning why you used him at all if you disagree with him so much. It just does not make much sense to quote someone then dispute them in the next breath, but not reference someone else...However you did throw in some off the wall comment about elks or moose being shot at that you feel he included in his researach but that was your opinion. Really a strange series of posts on your part.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-22 23:26, acesover wrote:

I was realy questioning why you used him at all if you disagree with him so much. It just does not make much sense to quote someone then dispute them in the next breath, but not reference someone else...However you did throw in some off the wall comment about elks or moose being shot at that you feel he included in his researach but that was your opinion. Really a strange series of posts on your part.

Not really. Kleck has set the agenda. The popular press quotes him uncritically. The academic press appears to be a whole lot of "Kleck says this, but that can't be so because..."

If you google the issue, his name shows up. Agree or disagree with him, he's currently at the centre of the statistical debate.

John
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Just glad the little girl is OK.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-23 00:41, acesover wrote:
Just glad the little girl is OK.

Agree completely.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yes.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Just hope no little girls are out burglarling.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Child involved in shooting (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL