The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » One of the largest magic shops in the US will be closing this weekend (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Crownhart
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Crownhart
Eventually it will always catch up to you. I feel bad for all the younger magicians that lost faith in the magic community due to H.L. lack of ethics. I've had the pleasure of bringing a few back into the fold with practicing the opposite. Giving my older outdated magic effects to the younger generations affected by H.L. and others.
SinCIRCUSly,

Michael C. Crownhart
Dr. Fellshadow
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA
15 Posts

Profile of Dr. Fellshadow
If I remember correctly Max Maven did all of the original artwork for HL's Magic Factory Catalog as well...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I remember when he worked there. His name was Phil Goldstein. Wow. Different world now...

Doug
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I remember the "store" was originally in the cellar of a house, with Hank and Phil behind the counter. Phil would always recommend a great book for me.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
The thing is, in the magic community, many of us will be aware about his past actions and crimes. However, there are still thousands of people or potential buyers who might not even know his past or incidents. So yes, he might not have a 'comeback' in the magician community, but as in the business world, he might run another shop and earn profits once again..
Magic comes through perception. -HS
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If he wants to start up another magic business again, he first needs to make things right to the customers he has cheated in the past. The customers who never received their item, he needs to send it to them. Only then would I do business with him.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hope Hank restart his business to pay me back almost usd 4K that he owed me. Yes really almost usd.4K.
Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, Dougini wrote:
I remember when he worked there. His name was Phil Goldstein.Doug

He was responsible for dozens and dozens of great packet tricks. The 1970's was the decade of packet tricks - and Elmsley counts.
;)
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG Lou Is, I remember just getting into magic then, and every frickin' new trick I liked involved the Elmsley count. Not a difficult count now, but when you're a teen wanting instant gratification and a way to impress the girls the next day...it's not the easiest road to follow. Oh, the frustrations of youth.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Wow, been out of the game for quite sometime. Can't believe what I'm reading. Anyone who knows more about this case, can you shed some light? I read an article on how he charged over $500k to an Amex from one customer. I take it, this is probably a wealthy customer? Someone who he knew wouldn't check his statements? I mean I don't get how you would have the audacity to rip one person off for that amount of money in a 2 year span. You don't think the victim would catch on? What a dope. He's a criminal and not too bright.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Any latest news about Hank?
What he do for living now?
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, wwhokie1 wrote:
Perhaps he should consider distributing his products through other shops. I cannot imagine people being willing to purchase from him directly. I certainly would not.

I believe Trick Supply magic shop took over the stock.
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
In the early 2000's (maybe 05 or 06...I don't recall) I took a trip to Boston (it was my first ever visit there) and I made it a point to visit Hank's because I had been a customer since the early 80s. He had already closed his public shop but I managed to find his warehouse and wandered in. He had a nice lobby with some effects on display but nothing that resembled a shop. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping to browse and buy a few items. Hank came out and we talked a bit and then he looked me up on his computer. He then went into the back and brought out some items he thought I might like and we went through them together. I ended up buying five or six items that day. I heard that he did eventually turn the lobby into a shop, but I don't know for sure. Anyways...it really shocked and saddened me to hear what happened a few years later. I have good memories of receiving his flyers in the mail (pre-email days of course) and going through them. Good times I will always remember.
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Aside from the jail term he is also supposed to make restitution to the customer he bilked...how the hell do you pay back $500k?
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hank sold an effect called "Polaroid Money Outdone", by Mike Bent. You can use it to make cash multiply in your bare hands. Same with "The Osaka Bills". If only our effects were real.

But on the serious side, you are correct. How in the WORLD is the guy ever going to pay back all that jack??? I don't see it happening!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
One dollar at a time......
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Or one license plate at a time...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Maybe he could pay with those gift certificates that he was still selling a week before they closed down......because they would be back.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
And he still owe me almost $4K

Really! Always give promise and promise to pay me back and nothing happen
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I am surprised he would even think he could make a come back using his name. And where is that 500K going to magically come from. Only chance he might have is become a very silent partner with someone else that wants to launch a magic site. But who would be foolish enough to partner with him not many I would think. I would never buy from him again he still owes me and I know I will never see it.
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » One of the largest magic shops in the US will be closing this weekend (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL