The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Halloween Saftey Magic Show Cancelled (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I never had this happen. Have you?

I had a school book me through Gig Masters of all places.

For my Halloween Safety Magic Show which is choreographed to music throughout the entire show and entire themed show that I only do for Halloween.

I call her today at 4:30pm telling them I will see them in 60 minutes (my car is packed I am heading to the school)

The PTA mom in charge of paying me says "Really? Did I already book it through you?... That was like a month ago, Let me know call you back in 15 minutes...."

I am confused so I check Gig Masters and sure enough she booked it through them. I then check my old emails and have two from her confirming the date back in September.

15 minutes no call..30 minutes goes by she never calls as promised. I call her back since she never called me. She tells me she totally forgot!! She can't do it!!!

Have you ever had a school cancel 60 minutes before. WOW!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, this is rare, especially through GM. My question for you is why are you confirming only 60 minutes before an event? Shouldn't this be doe a week or ten days prior to the event? Are you not checking with them and confirming arrival and setup times, performance requirements, etc.? SOunds to me like a mutual mishap.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Read the original post, Mindpro. He had two emails confirming the booking.

Sounds like you were jerked around. This happened to me once, at a college gig. I sued and got my fee. You should too.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I think I had that happen once or twice a long time ago. I did show up to a birthday once, and they had booked another entertainer also, and didn't realize it till we both showed up - so we split the fee, rather than making a federal case out of it. I'm sure that one was partially my fault - me, the client, and maybe even the other entertainer.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 19:15, Kevinr wrote:
I never had this happen. Have you?

I am confused so I check Gig Masters and sure enough she booked it through them. I then check my old emails and have two from her confirming the date back in September.

Also keep in mind is a client books through Gig Masters they contact them 7 days prior to the event as well.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
[quote]On 2012-10-26 19:41, TonyB2009 wrote:
Read the original post, Mindpro. He had two emails confirming the booking.
(quote)

Yeah but they were a month ago, I would certainly think a final details call and confirmation a week or ten days out is quite standard.

Although GM is supposed to do this a week out, I still would want to do this myself for my own peace of mind, professionalism, and again to arrange final details.

I don't buy she forgot or didn't remember, especially with the GM reminder, but since she hadn't heard from you she may have thought she was off the hook.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I bet someone from Gigmasters called her many days later than you and offered a cheaper fee. It seems like they booked it by phone going outside of Gigmasters so there would be no finder's fee. That is why I always collect deposits first.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
That's a bummer for sure kevin.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have never used GigMaster's...probably won't now!

Sorry Kevin...that really sucks. I would have a chat with either the school or with GigMasters and get at least a PARTIAL fee to cover the fact that you could have booked somewhere else.\

Mike
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I'm sorry for your loss Kevin, or, THEIR loss. It happened to me once too.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Whenever I book a show through email, I always follow through with a phone call. To me, it adds a nice personal touch.

I also call my weekend show customers on the Wednesday or Thursday before their event just so I can check in and assure them I'll be there at their event on time.

Gerry
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
The very reason I always request and receive a deposit; she had nothing to lose saying no to you
SheldonR
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of SheldonR
That really sucks. I agree that it probably would've been good for you to confirm personally at least a few days in advance and request a deposit. It's a lesson learned, I guess.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Quote:

Customers can cancel with me at anytime. (Even at the door I guess if they wanted) !

Think you must have been Tempting fate when you posted that.

out of interest have you black listed the school or would you take a deposit if they tryed to book again or just remind them what happened last time
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 23:05, mr shiney wrote:
Quote:

Customers can cancel with me at anytime. (Even at the door I guess if they wanted) !

Think you must have been Tempting fate when you posted that.

out of interest have you black listed the school or would you take a deposit if they tryed to book again or just remind them what happened last time

This happens so rare I really don't care.

First time not that big a deal.

If this happen on a monthly basis I would change my policy. Till them I all about customer service and realize its best to smile and forget it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So who's paying the GM fee if they too have it confirmed as a booking? By ignoring it, you may be allowing this to also happen to other performers as well. If they are held accountable, they will be sure it will never happen again. This is bad business.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Actually the lady paid for the party through Gig Masters.

Pretty crazy.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 02:16, Kevinr wrote:
Actually the lady paid for the party through Gig Masters.

Pretty crazy.

so does that mean you got paid (sorry I don't know what GM is)
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Yup.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Halloween Saftey Magic Show Cancelled (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL