The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Learning how to make coin gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi, I am based in India and none of the standard coin gaffs are available for Indian coins. Also if I order custom gaffs for Indian coins, the price is above my budget Smile

So, how hard is it to make coin gaffs? are there any books are tutorials available for the same?

Thanks for help!
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Special machines and training = $$$$$$$ . If you want to get involved in this the cost is very high and getting the info on how its done is hard to get. Most people want to make gaffs for them self and the price to buy them already made is the way to go.

Good Luck PT
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Shakuni, Some of the top gaff makers WILL gaff your coins if you send a set to them and are willing to pay the price.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 05:23, shakuni wrote:
...So, how hard is it to make coin gaffs? are there any books are tutorials available for the same?

No books or tutorials exist, as far as I know. Buy a lathe and practice! That's how Todd and Jamie did it. I cannot imagine the learning curve! Broke? Me too.

Perhaps a better direction would be pure sleight-of-hand?

Doug
SheldonR
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of SheldonR
You can experiment and see how it goes, but personally I'd either work on sleight-of-hand as Dougini suggests or find a way to increase my budget and buy custom gaffs.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Very hard to make. Unless you are very good with machining, you should have a custom coin made. These kinds of coins are very hard to make and require precision.
I know they are very expensive. I’m saving up for a new coin now and it takes a long time.
Philip Busk
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A very expensive process to make. unless someone would be going to make these for a living.it is just cheaper to buy them.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi Shakuni,

You know, you COULD perform with American and British coins and gaffs. Start with some sleight of hand coin stuff that allows the coins to be freely handled by your spectators, then ring in the gaffs. Here in Holland, no one even raises an eyebrow because I don't use Euros - although I will be acquiring some later this year (gaffs I mean lol). What I am trying to suggest is that if you establish the magic, you are home free.

Also, I wish I had the money to get Lassen and Schoolcraft stuff. I don't. And it seems neither do you. So, Johnson Products are STILL superbly crafted gaffs. They are actually a United States Defense contractor who got into gaffs as a kind of fun side business. Johnson offers a lifetime guarantee on their products. I knew an old timer who had his CSB set for twenty plus years. The set became scratched and unusable. He sent the set to Johnson and they sent him a new CSB set with no questions asked. Sasco and Sterling also make excellent gaffs.

Just something to toggle yer noggin!

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: Coins from India work GREAT with PK rings and other ferromagnetic applications - just sayin' Smile
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
Hey Shakuni. As a newbie with a background in machining I've also been looking into making my own gaffs. Based on the price of a tabletop lathe, chuck, motor (if the lathe is'n't supplied with one)tools and practice materials, you'd wind up paying way more than if you just had the gaff made by a professional.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If only Id have paid attention in shop class....
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
Yes, it seems buying the gaffs are the way to go!
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
You need to get a fully complete watchmaker's lathe kit.
Mine cost $500 used at at the Tucson Gem Show this year.
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
That's not a bad price.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Octopus Sun, what will you be using it for? Watchmaking, or to learn (or possibly continue, I don't know) coin gaffing? Or something else?
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
I'm def not into watchmaking. I'm a jeweler by trade.
It's an investment into our shop. I'm not making gaffs per say,
but I may try as an experiment. It's mainly for me to work the
silver I cast to make custom bezels etc for the gemstones I cut
and want to mount. This is something I've been wanting for about 10yrs.
you never know though what I may create from within.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
What do you consider a fully complete watchmaker's lathe kit? I have never seen one. There were hundreds of accessories and attachments made for them. What did you manage to snag?
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
A Boley & Leinen lathe No. 77/X1V, made sometime in the 50's
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 05:23, shakuni wrote:

So, how hard is it to make coin gaffs? are there any books are tutorials available for the same?

There is an inexpensive e-publication on Jim Riser's website on how to machine a Scotch and Soda set:

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html

For $5, you can at least see whether the project would be feasible for you.

IMHO you would be wise to contact Mr. Tango here on the Café as he has been more than willing to work with coins supplied by customers.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Thanks for that link, I just may experiment making the coin cup and SS.
I knew this was the lathe I needed to do this work, just need to find time
between cutting stones, carving wax casts, taking care of my boys.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2012-11-08 01:53, Octopus Sun wrote:
just need to find time
between cutting stones, carving wax casts, taking care of my boys.

ditch the hobbies and put the boys to work with you on the coins. You can start a coin gaff empire. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Learning how to make coin gaffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL