The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbell or Mark Wilson's Complete Course? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
After absorbing the Tarbell Series there is an importange advantage to the Wilson book.

The effects are explained using "sequential imagery" in steps from both the performer and audience perspective.
This combines the advantages of visual imagery and dialogue at the students learning rate -- as opposed to watching videos or reading cold text.

Many schools are now using sequential imagery (even graphic novels) to bridge the gap between Internet bias and book learnin'"

Thus, for those youth "never see a book," the Wilson book may be a better starting palce than Tarbell -- with that to follow.

The key is to recognize that both contain material that can never be learned form DVD's or YouTube snippets.

Magic is "of the imagination," so training one's imagination is critical (unless you just want to perform on YouTube)

The test is whether or not you can role-play the entire effect in you mind, make adjustments and run it again from many perspectives.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I understand the concept of 'sequential imagery, Ken, and, I agree with your comments.

For me, the typography of the Wilson/Gibson CCIM is "21st Century", and, it makes it easier to learn as a result.

I'm still a "diehard Tarbellian" though! --Mainly because of its "completeness"!

I have a copy of CCIM on the shelf, next to the Tarbells. At my age, I use both for references!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jethro63
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of jethro63
Further to what Ben posted, I always remembered a line from Tarbell's Silk to Egg that I thought would be hilarious to an audience. I don't have the book in front of me but this is how I recall it. "There seems to be some doubt as to the legitimacy of the vanish" Say that with a deadpan look and I think you could get a pretty good laugh, so maybe what we might think might be dated patter could be recycled as well.

Something that Mr Oslund mentioned resonated with me as well. I loved the layouts of Lewis Ganson's books, especially Routined Manipulations. Part of the reason why I myself prefer vids is that sometimes I wasn't clear as to a book's explanation of a move or maybe I misinterpreted an explanation. With Ganson's layouts and photographs, everything was crystal clear, I loved all his stuff.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jethro!

I like your comments!

I wrote some comments re Ganson, but the whole post went somewhere into cyberspace, and, I can't find it. I'll try to return..
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbell or Mark Wilson's Complete Course? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL