The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP and Scientology (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
My understanding is that Scientology is based on a basic-level form of abreactive hypnotherapy. This therapy is useful to many people in the beginning and can lead to common hypnotic phenomenon. In later levels I believe the same "tech" is applied to past lives. Hubbard, for all the popular quotes about creating religions, seems to have believed strongly in the process and based his higher teachers on his own self-exploration.

The organization, as opposed to the teachings, seems to be paranoid, power-hungry and selective to psychos at the higher levels.

I don't think there is any relation to NLP historically and, while there may be some crossover in terms of techniques, I really don't see much there either.

...I'll have to re-read the thread (it's been a while), but aside from a presentational ploy I don't see any relationship to mentalism.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
In the late 1960's and Vietnam war era, I knew of several "hippie" and pacifist types, who had sent off to some place in California for a certificate or degree "minister" in some sort of "Universal Life Church" for about $15 (not that inexpensive at that time when $125 a week was not bad pay).

The ULC has never charged for ordination. Even today you can go to ulc.org and get ordainied gratis.

I found an interesting editorial about Scientology's tax exempt status: http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editoria....../1202497
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
A technique vs a sect
NLP = a technique that can easily be learned (you pay for some classes and once you know it, that's it)
Scientology = the Borg (try their view on mental health and be afraid)

Yes, NLP has become the piggy bank of wellbeing techniques and most of its supernatural glamour was spawned by the insane claims shrewd NLP 'masters' (HA!) made in order to cash in.

Scientology is something else altogether. In many countries (and most of them are playing the soccer world cup) it is a forbidden sect. And that is a label which is not given lightly.

But if it works for Tom, John and Laura... hey who am I to say anything against it. Just that I've seen a family disintegrate because a daughter joined them and wanted to leave: they were destroyed! Awful!

So for me: no comparison. And beyond anything Penny stands for!
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
The book Mind Control 101 by Dantalion Jones has some excellent discussions on NLP and Scientology. Also some fun techniques for the mentalists.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
*gets a helmet and popcorn to enjoy the show*
hashtagmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of hashtagmagic
Both are pseudoscience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP and Scientology (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL