The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 'The Shining' Pit of Doom! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Autumn, you will always be "Penny" in Spooky/Bizarre ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Aw, thank you, Godzilla! I am Penny to you anytime!

Hey Kotah, languages can be a strange can-o-worms. I thought Kimi meant 'Water or lake' in Blackfeet, but it can also indicate a wife, depending on the predicate. Maybe you are speaking 'Blackfoot Sioux'(Sihásapa)?

Sometimes, those name dictionaries found online are not so accurate. A friend of mine named her kid "Itsimo", because she thought that meant "strong" in Blackfeet. The word sort of means 'strong'...Itsimo means "it stinks"! Hehehe.

The closest I can find to Nadi Kimi in my Blackfeet language dictionary is 'nítoh-kimi', which means "I have a wife." You are not proposing to me are you, Kotah?? Even though I am sure you are quite handsome, I already have one handsome husband...I don't think I am allowed to have two, lol!! However, I AM flattered Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Many wives/ husbands in some cultures is very acceptable if not encouraged.....

just a thought....
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
And this post keeps getting better and better...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Ah, Michael_MacDonald, you know I honestly used to think I would love to have more than one hubby. After all, how does a woman choose from all the gorgeous selection of gentlemen who live in this world? I mean, you have everyone from Adam Beach to Enrique Iglesias to Shemar Moore to Akihiro Sato to Colin Farrell to Mario Lopez to... How to choose? Then I found a great hubby and found they take a whole lot of work. So I am stopping at one.

But I digress...
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Autumn, am I proposing to you? I might in a heart beat if I were younger and unmarried, lol. Handsome, I most definitely am not. I did learn a lesson from you though. I had searched am online language dictionary to get my info, since your ties lie in Choctaw and Blackfoot heritage according to your bio.

One thing I am certain of is; you are a very lovely, intelligent and talented woman.
As a performer I admire you absolutely.

You have a great sense of humor too.

Kotah
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Heehee! You also have a great sense of humor, Kotah, plus you are very gracious. I really didn't think you were proposing, but I thought I could give you a laugh. I love laughing and making others laugh. People often attend my show thinking they will be watching a grevious chapter in American history, but they end up laughing their socks off.

Humor is a wonderful tool, even with bizarre magic. There must be some laughter in every performance. We can't totally scare them to death, can we? Moowa-ha-ha!
Doug Henning
BillyH
View Profile
New user
UK
62 Posts

Profile of BillyH
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull Boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull Boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Billy H you just gave me chills. The infamous 'Heere's Johnny!' scene took 3 days to film and the use of sixty different doors.

So Billy, clearly you have seen The Shining. I see you are from the UK. What is your 'take' on spirits that live in old hotels and stone castles? (We don't have many castles here in the USA.) What would you include in a themed bizarre presentation that accented such ghostly activities as happen in The Shining?
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Oh, I just found out some cool Shining trivia that seems to have been 'overlooked': The opening scene in The Shining, where they are driving up to the Overlook Hotel is actually filmed at Glacier National Park, Montana, just north of St. Mary's Lake on Going-to-the-Sun Road. Guess whose reservation is adjacent to Going-to-the-Sun Road? Ahem... Smile

Glacier Park was actually a part of the our rez before the government took it. Hmm...even more interesting ties to the underlying theme of Native people in The Shining!
Doug Henning
BillyH
View Profile
New user
UK
62 Posts

Profile of BillyH
Hello Autumn Morning Star,

We are very lucky here in England to have all those Castles and Stately Homes falling down to dust around us in which to base our ghostly stories but I do love the idea of new buildings (and even people) being haunted as well as the old-fashioned, tried and tested locations.

There can be something rather terrifying about a ghost wandering around a shiny new office block after hours (such as in The Grudge) or haunting a location because of its sacred/mysterious/sinister past (delete as appropriate!)

For me, the horror in 'The Shining' exists not in its blood and gore but in its very real loss of trust, freedom, creative expression and mental health.

I find that these aspects of the story chill me most whenever I watch the film.

'Props' that would highlight my observations of this haunting and illustrate these points might include:

A photograph or two
A big bunch of caretaker's keys (all shapes and sizes)
A typewriter
A pile of the 'all work and no play' pages that gradually form a recognisable pattern

I hope this answers your question regarding my take on the presentation of such a theme and doesn't stray too far from your original post.

Best wishes

Bill
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Thank you so very much, Bill! You are on-track with the way the posts have transformed and that is wonderful! I agree with you to suddenly have your spouse go psychopath on you is really unnerving. (I have a spouse and I usually scare him!) Loss of creativity, loss of trust, loss of sanity. I agree these are a certainly devastating theme! I love your suggestions below:

You suggested:
"'Props' that would highlight my observations of this haunting and illustrate these points might include:
A photograph or two
A big bunch of caretaker's keys (all shapes and sizes)
A typewriter
A pile of the 'all work and no play' pages that gradually form a recognisable pattern"

I am currently searching ebay and thrift stores for old caretaker's keys, old typewriter keys (I had not thought of a whole typewriter, but enhancing a typewriter with an EM hookup could be super spooky!}

Can you elaborate on would you suggest with the 'all work and no play' pages forming a pattern?

Ooh, I just got a 5 lb Calumet Baking Soda tin from ebay! This is an important icon from the movie appearing in the background of many shots. Wonder what I can most effectively do with this, other than use it as a prop container?
Doug Henning
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hello, Autumn Morning Star! Smile My first (and only so far) purchase from 0utl@w was the L*n@ series. I have all three books, plus Pe@rly G@tes. It's incredibly simple, yet so beyond bizarre...

My whole family is worried about me now. I performed L*n@ 1935 at my sister's house in Boston. My other sister was there from California with her husband. In my opinion, I gave a pretty basic performance, just this side of mediocre.

Now, both my sisters are FREAKED! The story line is so dark...ya really have to be careful. I had one girl get upset and leave during a performance of 1936. It was at a friend's house, and he was not pleased that his friend left upset. The other 13 people were VERY impressed. That was a night to remember.

I'm going to Boston for Thanksgiving tomorrow. My sister made me PROMISE, no mind-reading! She told me to bring those colorful silk "scarves" I used to do. Maybe a card trick or two! Wow. Scared her so bad, she likes my lame magic tricks! Ha! Not really "lame", but compared to L*n@? Oh, so LAME!

If you are a story-teller, Autumn, you cannot go wrong with the L*n@ books. Pe@rly G@tes adds an intro to the routine, and a fool-proof way to get the room number for L*n@. It's a complete routine, that cannot be back-tracked. My CA sister and her husband are proof of that! They are not easily fooled by "magic", but this...this bothered them! Mwaaa ha ha ha! Smile

Doug
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Hello Dougini,
I have already gotten "So D&rk" and am loving the material! I can easily see it is extremely powerful and intense. Thank you for your review on L@na the P@ar!y G@te$. I had not thought of combining the two, but I am happy to hear this makes the room number location flawless.

The venue selection is really important for the Lun@ effect. For people who just want "a magic trick" then break out the scarves, TT and invisible deck! I think you have to warn those who may be easily scared. (My hubby is one of these people. Shhh...)

Maybe you could offer this 'private creepshow' after your cards and scarves and tell folks it is "very creepy", kind of like the warning on certain rides at the fair (or on medication): "You have to be THIS tall and if you have heart disease, are pregnant, have high blood pressure, or high blah blah...Don't DO it!"

I had wondered about 'tales from the asylum' being too hard on some audience members. Mental illness is a heartbreaking reality, and for so many people it is an everyday struggle. The mental institutions of yester-year were a terror-fest. So many horrifying and sadistic 'treatments'. There are people alive today who went through some of this! So this is one of those things I have pondered.

I think if you give your story a bit of 'hope' towards the end, you may end up with some gentle resolution and maybe your relatives will not schedule that planned 'intervention' for you. Then, maybe the guys in the white coats and the big net won't have to show up during T-giving dinner!
Doug Henning
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 23:01, Andre Hagen wrote:

"The Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon was used for the front exterior, but all the interiors as well as the back of the hotel were specially built at Elstree Studios in London, England. The management of the Timberline requested that Stanley Kubrick not use 217 for a room number (as specified in the book), fearing that nobody would want to stay in that room ever again. Kubrick changed the script to use the nonexistent room number 237. "

Andre, this is true. All exteriors were right here in Oregon up at 'the mountain'. Big deal back then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 'The Shining' Pit of Doom! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL