The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Animated Cigarette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Review wanted for this cool floating effect.

TEXT FROM THE WEB: "The Animated Cigarette can be performed as close as six feet from your audience! And there are NO THREADS or body hook-ups."

No threads???

See video:
http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/Video/Animated_Cigarette.wmv
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Looks good... But I don't understand why he is holding a lighter when a match lights the cigarette... I will go out on a limb here and say that has something to do with the method (but I could be completely wrong)...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have Kennedy's animated cigarette and the statement is correct "no thread or body hook ups".I did not view the video but there is no lighter involved with the method employed. I have never seen anyone do this besides John Kennedy. I would possibly be interested in selling this if you are interested.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Its hard to take your review seriousley because your turning around to resell it! Smile

Seriousley though, more reviews would be nice.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
K, S, R, and Neo:

There is already a good thread (no pun intended) on John Kennedy's "Animated Self-Lighting Cigarette" at

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

No threads, no lighters, and there are several reviews there, including my own.

Segal: The only object in the routine to which you could be referring is the box of matches. One match floats up and out of the match box, strikes itself, then lights the cigarette.

Steve H Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
He has a new version which uses a lighter. It works exactly the same as the earlier version. Then lighter is what the gimmick is attached to. The cigarette pack to matchbox portion of the effect has been improved on also. The lighter never used in the routine, so I see no reason to have it in your hand except to attach the gimmick to it.

Micheal Leath
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2003-11-03 20:51, Micheal Leath wrote:
He has a new version which uses a lighter. It works exactly the same as the earlier version. Then lighter is what the gimmick is attached to. The cigarette pack to matchbox portion of the effect has been improved on also. The lighter never used in the routine, so I see no reason to have it in your hand except to attach the gimmick to it.

Micheal Leath

Exactly... the lighter seemingly isn't used for anything so why should it be there? I wonder if there could be something else (that makes more sense) to hook the gimmick up to. The lighter makes sense to have, if the matches are not produced to light the cigarette. Maybe a small ash tray or something so that when you drop the match and match box, you can retrieve the cig and ash it into the tray....

Steve Hook: Watch the video, provided through the link, in the opening post and you will see what I am talking about...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Segal:

I stand corrected. This is something new in the routine, as Michael has said. Not sure of the logic there but maybe he has some patter which explains its presence.

Sorry 'bout that.

Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Strange, I did a search for this effect but no post showed up...hmm.
If its not tread work involved, then Im absolutely amazed.
HOW close can the spectator be ?
Can you have people around?

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Neoglobin,
The reason I was selling the effect is I purchased it from someone selling a lot of used magic and it was in one of the boxes.This is an effect I would or could not do. It is beautiful to watch John Kennedy do it though. This is not an effect for everyone.It DOES NOT use threads.Spectator can not be real close but does not have to be done as far away as a stage.
Rennie
P.S. - Still for sale ....
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
The add says you need to wear a dark shirt or jacket
Sven
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Sven,
You are correct, dark clothing should definitely be worn, depending on how close the spectators are it is not an absolute necessity but sure helps.
Rennie
P.S.Mats you should purchase this effect. By the way I work as a service advisor for Volvo, so we do have something in common besides our love for magic.
WalterZ
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of WalterZ
Just from watching the video, and observing the movements of both the cigarette and the match, I'm willing to bet that the hookup is strikingly similar to the dancing hankie, or ballerina hankie. If you've played with one of these, you should have a pretty good idea of how the hookup is possible.
~WalterZ~

Themystifier.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Although I'm sure the reasoning behind adding the lighter is to have something that would be logical too have involved there to avoid suspicion, but I believe it does the oposite and draws attention to t because it is not used. Once the attention is there the audience may notice more then they should. Not neccisarily the gimmick, but perhaps some movement that they would other wise not notice.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
James Chantler Brown used to have a great presentation of the original, Kennedy, self-lighting cig. But I think he fell off the planet, or maybe got out of magic... which is the same as falling off the planet. His presentation justified everything, even the akward looking hand on the lapel.

Yes, dark shirt must be worn. And don't expect to do it table-hopping...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Animated Cigarette (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL