The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know. -Lao Tzu.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0773741/
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 10:49, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Over the years, I have seen many posts that criticize videos posted here or on youtube. A video is unlike a regular performance. There is poor misdirection, as everything is seen on a small screen.
David Roth invented a new system to ditch coins standing up without a topit. He held it a secret for over 15 years before offering it to the magic community. he showed it to Latta and myself one night at his house, and it fooled the heck out of us, and we were three feet away. It fried everyone who saw it, and destroyed the entire audience at one of the New York Coin Magic Seminars. Alex Conradi used the system to win third place in a national competition.
That's how magic is supposed to be viewed. Live. I'm done now.

I concur 500%
I just wish to underline that Alex Conradi did use David Roth's concept but smartly adapted it to one concept of mine (portable well) rather than lavishly copying David's brilliant creation.

The other point is that he won a third place not in a national competition but in an international one.

This doesn't undermines Michael's point, on the contrary, it highlights it.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 20:58, Gary Kosnitzky wrote:
Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know. -Lao Tzu.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0773741/

Good quote.

In the rough NYC streets I came out of there was a somewhat similar saying, sorta.

"The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room." -Frank Lucas
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I like the sentence but if the ones who know never talked, we wouldn't progress... and there would be no Bill Palmer, Whit Haydn, Pete Biro, Armando Lucero, Kent Gunn, Jon Townsend or Vinny Marini... to share knowledge in our Magic Café.
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
OMG! you have no idea how many times I do this routine and people say to me do it again (AND I DO) while doing it again they ask me straight out or grab a card to see if the coins are really under the cards. "The coin is “always" under the card they grab”……….. This of course shuts them up making this routine all that much more magical & powerful. This of course also is all part of the actual routine-Those who have seen me perform this know this.

Remember: As I first posted earlier - I am really placing one coin on the table under “one" of the cards - Watch the video extremely close and you may figure out exactly what card - then, and only then you can follow my actions to the end and clearly understand the secret to this routine.

As Mike R stated and I agree - Performing magic on video is not the same as performing magic in person. In person the spectator knows the magician is in charge - On video the spectator can feel they are in charge.

I have to admit though, watching coin magic on video sure has it’s advantage when it comes to hiding angles for certain routines that are not adequate to be performed in person.

“HAPPY NEW YEAR”

MICKEY SILVER - “THE HANDS OF LAS VEGAS"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 11:48, Lawrence O wrote:
...if the ones who know never talked, we wouldn't progress...

IMHO it's more about how one talks
and maybe when
and whether something is ours to talk about.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Definitely the "how" is crucial.

My mother used to say,

Be careful of the words you use,
make them soft and sweet.
Because you never know from day to day,
which ones you'll have to eat.

Sorry to waylay this thread....
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
You mother was a wise women cperkins.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 15:22, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 11:48, Lawrence O wrote:
...if the ones who know never talked, we wouldn't progress...

IMHO it's more about how one talks, and maybe when; and whether something is ours to talk about.

I understand, my friend. However, Charles Schneider made that post. He seemed to think it was OK, or he would have said nothing. It IS his to talk about! He did the research! A simple reply would have been sufficient. He could have said, "I won't say anything else...just wait for it."

Maybe Mickey knows nothing about it. Maybe he disapproves...I don't freakin' know...I just find this teasing to be frustrating and unproductive. I don't care much to know "how" Mickey does what he does. I just enjoy watching him whenever I can. I respect his privacy.

I have been really .pissed at how people come in to a thread, make one post to stir things up and then disappear. I've learned that is called "trolling" on the internet. So you understand why my Bulls*** meter went off.

Doug
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Mickey is a friend and I'm always biased in the favor of what he does because he is using much more thinking in audience terms than his performances admit.

That's the reason I didn't "speak" about Mikey's effect.

So instead of talking I'll print this for Mikey

:applause:
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Mickey, I consider myself a humble student of your way of approaching coin magic. I'm sure this routine would absolutely kill if you had the opportunity to interact with your audience live (and not having them see you on video).
Talk to you later
Evan
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know...I have this saved to watch from time to time. I just watched it again. The illusion IS perfect! It looks like trick photography! To see this in person must be...astounding! I know of no other coin worker that I get so much enjoyment from watching! Smile

Doug
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I had the great fortune of visiting Mickey last week, and yes it is astounding in person. Watching Mickey you can't help but smile. He makes my face hurt.

Dennis

Have a safe trip back to Vegas, Mickey!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I find the method hilarious and I'm quite sure I could not pull it off. That said it was fun to watch. Thanks for posting this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL