The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer/Internet geek? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Okay, I apologize for using the work "geek", but I'm in need of someone who is more internet savvy than I am. I just discovered that someone with whom I share one of my computers has been screwing around with my internet account, and I'm not sure how this is possible. If you think you can help me, please either e-mail me or PM me.

Thanks,
Margarette (who is trying to remain very calm right now, but it ain't working too well!)
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Lots of tech savy people here.
Could you be more specific about what you find different and how you came to suspect some tampering?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I suspected tampering when I hadn't heard from a friend in a while (he and I usually corresponded at least a couple of times a week, then all of a sudden, NOTHING), and I expressed my concerns in an e-mail to him. He then replies to my message from his work e-mail stating that his personal e-mails had been blocked from being received by my internet account. I then looked in the "Mail Controls" of AOL only to discover that someone had gotten into my e-mail account and had blocked about half a dozen addresses on my account. These people are people I have both business and personal relationships with. I have never given my password out to anyone, so I'm confused about how this could have happened. I'm trying not to get p***** at the person I know did this, but it ain't easy! Smile Right now, I'm seriously considering switching internet providers. I do share one computer (desktop) with the other adult occupant of the house (long story, won't go there!). I know enough about computers and the internet to be dangerous. I know how to do what I need to do, but I don't know all the interworkings of these things. So, can anyone help? Smile

Margarette
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you the OWNER of the AOL account? IE the SOLE person to be able to make new ids?

Are you the sole ADMINISTRATOR of the PC? IE the only person with a supervisor ID and password on that PC?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Try looking to see if the other person using your machine has a key logger active (registry settings I'm afraid!!)

This sort of program records all key strokes, active screens and even snapshots of the screen itself.

This makes it very easy to STEAL peoples passwords.
It also makes it easy to SNOOP on what others are using your machine for without them knowing as the program runs invisably.

Its a double edged sword.....But if a keylogger is not installed on your machine then install one just to find out what others are doing.

It wont fix your account, but it might let you know who is tampering.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
If your operating system is Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can limit the abilitites of others to make changes by using separate local machine accounts and ensuring theirs does not have administrative privleges.

Another option is to encrypt or protect the data on your system using a USB Data Encryption Device or use your fingerprint to protect your personal data.

Wayman's advice above is quite valid but be aware there are key loggers that do not require software to run. For Example: Key Ghost

You may need to check out your hardware as well as your software settings.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
It sounds like your account has been compromised. The easiest way is by knowing your password. As others have stated, there are ways to 'grab' your keystrokes, when you type them for access when you are not around.

Check these things first:
1. Are you the master account holder on your account?
2. Do you have your system set to sign you in automatically?
3. Do you ever leave yourself logged in and walk away from the computer?
4. Do you ever log in with someone nearby (who could see what you're typing)?
5. Is your password easily guessed? Do you change your passwords, even occasionally?

As you can see, there are ways other than technology to get access.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will look into making my account more secure! I have a lot to learn!

Margarette
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer/Internet geek? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL