The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lukas - Artist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Haha, why do you need a review ? You can`t wait 2-3 more days to watch it yourself Smile
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
I'm not a review guy... If you're serious about manipulation get them. The moves are explained very well, but some of them Lukas doesn't go in-depth because he wants you to be creative. The Artist series if not for beginners. First Lukas teaches you basic skills ( Backpalms, ball rolls etc) and then he explains his routines. There are like 13 routines for cards and balls both. Artist System is top of the iceberg, it's marvelous. If you have seen it, you'll know what I mean.
Hope this helps you a little Dahih. Waiting for the next DVD in the Artist series. Smile

RJH
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Its killing me .
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 13:08, dahih beik wrote:
Its killing me .

Killing you in what sense?

I would like to point out that Artist lacks information on holders. Lukas probably assumes the viewers are familiar with those?
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I m looking forward to recieve the artist visual and system , it has been a long time since a dvd draws my attention .
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Modern times in Artist System is great. I will TRY to make it some day....

RJH
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 13:59, dahih beik wrote:
I m looking forward to recieve the artist visual and system , it has been a long time since a dvd draws my attention .

The Artist set is a great guide for beginner to intermediate ball enthusiasts. What impresses me the most is the fluency and the beauty of basic sleight executions.
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Its good, but sometime is a bit hard to follow up, you have to watch over and over again.

great dvd overall
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
JeremyTan
View Profile
New user
has magically produced
89 Posts

Profile of JeremyTan
http://www.lukascrafts.com and many other cool stuff!
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jeremytanmagic

Instagram: @jeremytanmagic
TikTok: @jeremytanmagic
PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
I was actually very disappointed with this DVD set. There are a couple positive reviews here saying things were explained well, and I feel that's very misleading. Nothing was really explained. Just demonstrated.

There is a lot of good to be said about it, yes. His skill is beyond words. The artistry in his presentation is just beautiful. And many of the "lessons" are in fact clear to follow.

However, it's not being sold to delight us with his skill. It's being sold to teach, and it doesn't do a great job. Essentially, these aren't lessons. They are demonstrations.

It's another one of those silent teaching DVDs, but there is so much that should be said about what's going on. Some of the "lessons" are lacking in so many ways because I'm left with so many questions. And the layout of the DVD (I really feel I must be missing something here, 'cause this seems too wrong to be real) is absurd. There is no "play all" function. The demonstrations and the lessons are in separate menus so you have to play one, go back to the main menu, enter the lesson menu, watch the lesson, and then when you want to view the audience perspective again, you have to go back to the main menu... etc etc. Watching this on my TV was impossible. I needed to watch it through my computer to make this menu jumping somewhat easier.

What bugs me most about this though, is the word "system" in the title. There is nothing "system" about it. It's another DVD showing some skills and demonstrating -- not teaching -- how they are executed. There are some very short routines, but there is no insight into these routines. The most frustrating thing for me though, is the complete lack of discussion, demonstration or suggestion on how to get into any of these routines. Each routine assumes you walk in front of your audience preset for that particular routine. But that's not what happens. How does he transition from routine to routine? Where is the ball before he gets it in his hand to make it appear and vanish and change colour? Yes, I can figure a lot of this out on my own or use my current methods, but I paid for a "system" and a lesson. I want to see how this particular magician handles this so I can learn from it.

This is lacking from The Artist System and the Artist Cards & Balls.

What I've learned is valuable and I'll go back to these DVDs in the future to keep learning and to help me practice. If you're content to live with the above, then you'll be happy with the DVDs too. However, if you want more than "here's a quick routine you can do once you've somehow stolen a red ball and a white ball and concealed them in your hand..." then this isn't for you.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Phil, the DVDs are meant for advanced or pro manipulators. You need to know how to do the basic material (Palming, basic shell move, backpalming, productions) before going into to stuff in Artist DVDs. The routines are explained crystal clear, so I can't understand what you're not getting. If Lukas would explain all those moves in Artist Visual in 1 routine (With steals, loads, tips, misdirection, etc.) he would explain his award winning manipulation routine. Just the tips I can give you are: Learn everything that is in the ''Basic skills'' section. Then buy something like Jeff McBride's Art of card manipulation and Levent's Billiard ball DVD set and learn from those the moves and steals, after you have done that, start practising the routines in Artist Visual.

For Artist System, I think that everything that needs to be said is said. And in the ''Original'' section, the tricks/routines are not fully explained, because Lukas and his friends sell those items you need to perform those miracles.

I (12 year old kid) hope that this has given you answers to your questions and if not, I have waisted 5 valuable minutes of my practise time.

RJH
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have not commented on this DVD because I would have to have given it a really poor rating. I do agree with RJH that Phil does not fully understand Stage Manipulation Magic and how it is performed. It is very different to Close-up magic. A lot is left to assumption on the audience's part.

Complaining that Phil could not watch the DVD on his television is really funny, as I acquaint that to someone wanting to watch a performance video and use it as entertainment. Which is not the purpose of magic explanation videos. They should be only watched in the privacy of ones area, so no one else can view the content. I like the short segments, as it helps the learning process. To try to watch this all the way through from beginning to end, we did that already with Video Tapes. It was tedious work to find one section to review.

I do agree that the video leaves a lot to be desired, and using the explanation that the items will be for sale is totally wrong. I don't want to pay to watch commercials on a DVD.

This is not a system and the contents is not of value as it is presented. To show the very old elbow load of a silk, and not explain the get ready is a total waste of video and my time. To call a "Loop Ball" a Wire Ball is totally wrong. This thing has so many old (not credited) magic tricks it is shameful to the magic society. He did not even tell that all he did was wrap some tape around this ball, you can see it if you look closely on the video.

His so called comparison of silks was meaningless as well, without text or speech, what was that all about. Was it the color or momme weight of the silks? Just what was that for?

To not explain the device for his spinning card is not fair as well. Show of black plastic box and not explain the working or show how to make it, is wrong. I can't do anything with that, so why show me, I paid for information, not a show and tell video.

His total use of the Black Art principle is unique and something that I have not considered, as it requires special lighting to pull off in a performance arena. But he should have explained his lighting arrangements or how he made sure he was in a proper position to create the effect on the audience. Lee Ang Hsuan does this same kind use of Black Art to conceal cards, and no mention of the proper clothing and lighting situation is given.

Most of the stuff on this DVD is totally useless without all the information and how props and routines or moves are taken from one phase to the next, as well as the explanation of how to make them.

I challenge anyone to try to learn this material and actually be able to duplicate any segment in a show. Just not enough explanation of the process is given.

Way overpriced for showing old methods and not giving the mechanics of each mechanical device. I puzzled over the showing of reels and not describing the purpose of each different kind and how Lukas would use them. Some of the reels are not even on the market any longer.

His use of the term "Topit" is misleading as well, as he does not use a Poacher's Bag at all. The very old impromptu method of dropping an object into the jacket is not explained as he uses it. Many questions are left for the audience to wonder about, what if the ball falls to the floor.

Finally, to promote there is a book that explains what the DVD does not is false advertising. I was expecting an actual book, that is why I finally decided to order this at this ridiculous price. Instead there is a 22 page pamphlet that explains very little.

I do not recommend this video on the explanation of Lukas' act totally worthless. If you want a few of his gimmicks, then go to his website and buy them. His floating spinning card is on sale there, I don't know if instructions are included, probably not, as it is shown in the DVD.

I would like my money back on this one. Did not learn anything completely from Lukas' perspective.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lukas - Artist (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL