The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This is cool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
For the past 3 years I have worked restaurants on off, every place I have worked has been pretty much the same except this new Chinese restaurant. This place is really neat seeing that the restaurant is split into two different sections divided by a wall. On one side we have you standard sushi restaurant, on this side I perform your typical "table hopping" 5 min of magic while they wait for their food to arrive. However on the other side of the wall is the restaurants Hibachi experience. This family owned establishment only has one Hibachi chef, and 3 double sets of grills. It is often a group of guests are waiting for the chef to finish his order at one grill which is prime time for me to entertain. I literally walk over, put a close up pad on the grill and I have time to do a solid 15-20 min close up show, not just a routine. So far this has been fantastic. All the guests thoroughly enjoy the show, when I am done; I pack up my stuff, turn the grill on to warm up, and then the chef comes entertains via his style.

I like this because it is like a double whammy, I practice my standard strolling set, and at the same time I can practice my formal close up material. Work on deck switches, gypsy thread, Coin Matrix, I was able to improv a cups and balls routine with 3 cups from the bar, some green olives and Limes as final loads.

The thing is people who go to a hibachi grill go for the entertainment, are perfect candidates for what we do as magicians.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Ya... that sounds perfect! Ideal place for a close up magician.
The spectators are seated in the perfect spots to be able to see everything clearly.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes. I worked a few of them when I was in Birmingham. They are a lot of fun.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Ranalli
View Profile
New user
Chicago & Indianapolis
6 Posts

Profile of David Ranalli
I've always thought that they would be a great place for shows while people wait. However, I thought that the heat from the grill would linger and melt the close up pad, glad to know that's not the case.

Does anyone have a problem (sanitation wise) with you performing on a surface that food is cooked on? I'm aware they get hot and probably kill any bacteria, just wondering what people's perspectives are.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
The pad I use is a production pad, it has a wooden base, and rubber feet, I lay down 2 layers of cloth napkins on the grill, and then my close up pad.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Sounds like the perfect gig.

Quote:
On 2012-12-17 13:09, AndyLuka wrote:
For the past 3 years . . . every place I have worked has been pretty much the same except this new Chinese restaurant.

I'd suggest having a talk with the owner: neither sushi nor an hibachi are Chinese. He may need to change his advertising a skosh.

;)
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Calling the place a Chinese restaurant is just the stereotypical arrogant and ignorant American in me lol. The owners and most of the staff are Chinese and speak it, however the name of the restaurant is Toyko sushi and steakhouse.

bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
That place sounds like a great gig Andy, Hope it works out for a long while!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Don't feel that way Andy, just call it the Chinese place. Im sure they don't feel bad about being Chinese but calling it Tokyo sushi.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-12-19 02:22, Nick W wrote:
Don't feel that way Andy, just call it the Chinese place. Im sure they don't feel bad about being Chinese but calling it Tokyo sushi.

Good Point...btw I love your new promo shots!

Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Sounds like a great gig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This is cool (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL