The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to explain to an "Agent" that she works for me. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
In illinois, talent agencies are required by law to be liscensed as employment agencies. The law stipulates a range of details regarding record keeping as well as disclosing where the fiduciary responsibility lies--to the artist or to the buyers. Most, but not all, states have similar laws. They are easy to research. Just go to the website of your state's department of labor.

In my experience, these are some of the most frequently ignored laws in the world. I've encountered lots of people who operate as agencies without obtaining a license or even having the slightest idea of what the law requires of them. I've never heard of anybody facing any legal consequences for this.

In the college market many agencies will sign contracts with artists which spell out the various obligations of each party. These contracts usually overwhelmingly favor the agency over the artist. Typically if you ask the agent whom do you work for, they will answer "the artist." Realistically they leave off the rest of the sentence, which should be, "to the extent that it's in my best interest. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to explain to an "Agent" that she works for me. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL