The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Is magic/manipulation act with a story better than without? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
So, yes or no?

RJH
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is so subjective. You are sure to get all sorts of answers on one side of the fence or the other, but I really believe this to be totally contextual. Abstract art has no sense of plot, and often not even any definable organization, yet it is undeniably an accepted form of art. The quality of any such act would rely upon its rendering and execution.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
155 Posts

Profile of alextsui
I don't think either one is better than the other. I like both types of magic and I think there can be a place for both within one show.

In my act I like to start with an opener that's just pure manipulation to music without any talking. This is to grab the audience's attention.

After that, I like to go into other tricks with patter that have a story line and also some tricks with audience participation. These are good for building rapport with the audience.

Finally I like to close with some fast manipulation that ends with a bang (literally... fire effects) or something slow and beautiful to music that leaves a lasting impression on the audience.

Just my thoughts. Thanks.
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Depends on which day of the week you ask me. Today I am being wishy washy. Last week I think an abstract act would be best. Then a year ago I thought a themed act with a story plot would be best. I guess it's whatever the audience likes.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
I say it really depends on where you are performing and for whom. educational leads to a themed act, and really hits home to targeted audiences, Schools Fairs and such. then there are magic conventions which tend to lead to Music with style and attitude. or even at Private corporate gigs,,, may want the las vegas flash.... so no one is better then the other, but depends on which market you want to pursue.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I agree that the topic is subjective. Lots of variables involved. A factor to consider is how good the story is, the style of delivery and the charisma of the performer.

I thought this topic had appeared in the Café before, but couldn't find a record of it in a search. In my hazy memory of it, I think I published the following poem that I've used in a very short manipulation sequence with card flourishes. Apologies if I'm repeating an old post. But I'll add some additonal thoughts as well.

Silent, unmoving...
Not in the least alive...
Awaiting the hand of a miracle man
These cards 47 and 5.
Delicately, assuredly,
The deck with his fingers he squares;
And then with a quick, simple finger flick
He gives them unparalleled airs.
They form semicircles, complex and perplexing--
They fly from his hands as with ease.
They're wonders of beauty fulfilling their duty
The general public to please.
But again they are silent; he puts them aside.
Their energy leaves as it came.
But I should expect that their wondrous effect
Will be felt when he holds them again.

(At the line "finger flick" I did the Audley Walsh Long Distance Side Spinner. The semicircles of course were pressure fans. Flying from the hands was springing the cards. The wonders of beauty was the armspread and turnover.)

I've sometimes thought an interesting approach would be two card manipulators (or any kind of magic act) presenting a magic version of the classic Irving Berlin song: "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better." One magician would do maybe a simple Charlier Pass and the other could do a Notis Cascade one-hand shuffle. There could be other competitive flourishes, like a one-hand fan versus a double fan, etc. XCM seems custom-made for such a presentation.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Amado,

Topas and Helge Thun from Germany have an existing two magicians card flourish duel. Here's the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1VA03psWz8

Happy and magical new year 2013,

Oliver.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Thanks for sharing that, Oliver. That's a great act! It's similar to what I was suggesting but without any dialog/patter at all, which makes it even more commercial anywhere in the world.

Do they ever do anything in their act besides card tricks? One of them might, for instance, do silk to egg, and the other might then take the egg from him and show the audience how it works, whereupon they proceed to the sucker bit with a real egg finish.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Na ja, ich habe mehr von Topas und Helge hier in youtube gefunden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozMxUEMvd4

Hoechst komisch!

----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
And I just found this clip of Topas and Roxanne doing a levitation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyZ4kRrLXQ
Nice variation on Asrah!

----- Sonny Narvaez
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This is definitely subjective. However, if I were in an audience, I would prefer a story line, even if silent. Case in point is Cardini, who would blend a nice little silent skit with unbelievable flourishes. Lynn
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Topas and Helge Stuns ending was awesome!!!

RJH
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
Maybe..story would get them involved....just a thought..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Is magic/manipulation act with a story better than without? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL