The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Himber Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
I'm working on the Himber Vanish detailed in Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic. I'm learning the sleight using a half dollar, but I'm wondering if it can be done with smaller coins, because I usually work with quarters.

Does anyone else use this vanish? If so, is it possible to effectively use the clink pass with a quarter?

PS--I don't have freakishly large fingers or anything...

Jim
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I recived a few DVDs today, including Revolutionary Coin Magic. I will try to watch it as soon as possible, so I can answer your questions.

And you know, trial & error is always the best teacher. Try to use the pass with quarters, and see how it goes. Will be back when I have looked at the tape.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I do a click pass with quarters all the time...works just fine. It is beneficial to vanish your first, or position it in such a way to get maximum contact with the second.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Himber Click Pass is very different than the standard Chester Woodin click pass.

I think the Himber Click Pass is easier with bigger coins to get the clink.

Earlier this month Mike Rubinstein showed me his Psuedo-Himber Click pass which works very nicely and is not technically demanding.

I don't know if he has the move in print or not, but it is a nice substitute if you are looking for something that hits 100% of the time.

I am pretty good at the Himber vanish, but sometimes I miss...

Dan
Click to visit:
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Hey Dan...are you referring to the click pass where the coin is actually clicked into a classic palm coin, rather than dropped? He does show this type of click pass in his "Revolutionary Coin Magic" DVD.

John
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Im trying to locate the Himber Vanish on the DVD. In what trick is it executed, and explained?

Jay really can acompish true magic with coins. Amazing.

By the way Dan, I really enjoyed your home site. I had a great time reading about the Coinvention, and seeing all the pictures of all well-known coinworkers.

Peo

PS: I have problems with PayPal when I try purchasing Coinvanish volume 1.
Is there any other way I can buy it?

Peo
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Himber Vanish is not a traditional click pass. I think its taught in Jay Sankey's Mexican Jumping Coin routine. The move is mostly used to count 2 coins as 3. I think a large coin is pretty much required, even with half dollars it is not a 100% to get the coins to click....
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Same routine that is explained in 100% Sankey, page 18?

Peo
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 11:55, Dan Watkins wrote:
Himber Click Pass is very different than the standard Chester Woodin click pass.

I think the Himber Click Pass is easier with bigger coins to get the clink.

That's what I figured. It is, as Jay puts it, a very 'knacky' move.

Quote:
I am pretty good at the Himber vanish, but sometimes I miss...

It seems like a move that you could miss pretty easily...how do you normally recover if the coins don't click? Is it necessary?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The clink is hard to get with quarters, it's all about hand placement and practice. I like to let the first coin drop almost into an open fingerpalm position in order to get the clink from the second coin. Try working with that and see how it works. I can get the clink almost 100% but that's only because of practice. Look at mexican jumping coins Peo, that's the routine that I believe he teaches the himber/sankey count for the first time.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
If you ever see Bobby Bernard ask him about his version.

He really worked the orginal up to something wonderful to behold.

L.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
The "Himber Vanish" as I understand it is just that, A vanish.

The Click/Clink Pass your refering to I BELIVE if I'm not mistaken belongs to Harvey Rosenthal, Look up Pallbearer's Review Close up Folio's #2 1976 "Oil and Quarters"

I got this info from "100% Sankey" in his routine "Mexican Jumping Coins". When I first got this book I really wanted to do this routine but couldn't because I thought I would never get this move down. So I to came up with an easier way of doing it.

I'll have to check with Mike R. see if his is in print?

It took A LOT of work but I can now do the C.pass, I can also do it with quarters, I just tried and 6 out of 10 times I could do it with nickles (but why would you want to..lol)

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Sorry guys, my move isn't in print yet, but when my book comes out......
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I hope you will tell us when that happens Michael.

By the way, I have purchased, and received your 3 volumes of "Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights". I'm very much looking forward to watching them.

Peo
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I have been using the Himber Vanish in a routine for about a year now. In my experience I have not always gotten away with it perfectly each time (8/10 times usually) but it is very easy to grab the coin on the pinky with no suspicion as long as you maintain the rythm of the move.

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Peo -
May I ask where you ordered Revolutionary Coin Magic (Sankey) on DVD? I have tried several magic vendors and none of them had the video in stock. I wasn't even aware it is now on DVD. Also heard the picture quality is very poor on the video.

Thanks
cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Cp,
The DVD is being sold exclusively at http://www.penguinmagic.com (like all Sankey products now).

Yes, the production quality leaves a lot to be desired. It's basically Jay in his apartment with a handheld camcorder. The bonus footage is better quality, though. Don't let this keep you from looking into the DVD, though--I really found the material solid.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Thanks, Peo...just ordered this DVD!

As for the Himber Vanish, I remember seeing it performed for the first time 20 years ago at a magic store in Worcester, MA...couldn't believe it.

I use it sometimes, then into clip ala Paul Cummings It is easy to do with coin already clipped in pinky to show both hands empty. I get good reactions.

cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
This vanish is one of my favorites. The VANISH can be done fairly easily with halves or quarters, but I wouldn't rely on the click pass with quarters. I can see how it *might* be deceptive with halves but false counts with coins (generally) to me seems like you're hiding something.

A little off topic -- I've performed mexican jumping coins as a quickie a few times but I haven't really got it to where I'm satisfied with it. I have the MECHANICS down, it just seems to fall a little flat for me. Anyone have ideas on making this routine more convincing ?

For example, what routines done before or after this one, might strengthen (or weaken) its effect. Any subtleties or routining tips you care to share would be appreciated.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Seeing this trick out of context on the tape just left me confused. Why was he hiding the coins?

Seems like you need to build the audience's confidence in your abilities, because this won't stand up under serious heat. How about if you precede the effect with something squeaky clean like Mr. Clean Coins Across, then ditch the third coin when you apparently go for the fourth?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Himber Vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL