The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tango reel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
How do I fasten a silk to my tango ultimate reel?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anyway you want. Usually it is sewn with he thread from the reel. Tie a very small knot in the a 24 inch silk in one corner, sew through the knot. If you don't know about hand sewing and how to tie off sewing thread, see the information in a basic sewing book from the library, or seek a person who know how to hand sew.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can sew on a small snap fastener, one to the silk, other on the thread. That way it is removable.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PETE>>> and anyone else who uses a reel for serp. silk or silk thru mike stand, etc.

IT IS NOT NECESSARHY TO S E W THE REEL THREAD TO THE SILK.........IT IS A L S O NOT NECESSARY TO SEW A SNAP FASTENER TO THE SILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AN OLD PRO. SHOWED ME THIS EONS AGO. AND, I HAVE USED THIS FOR MORE YEARS THAN I CAN REMEMBER --THAT'S THOUSANDS OF SHOWS. I HAVE NEVERE SEEN THIS IN PRINT, I THINK MAYBE IT'S TIME TO PASS THIS ALONG!!! SO, I AM ABOUT TO TIP THE WORK ON FASTERNING THE REEL THREAD TO A SILK. THE SILK CAN BE UNFASTENED QUICKLY AND EASILY FOR WASHING AND/OR PRESSING. --AND, THE SILK CAN BE REFASTENED QUICKLY AND EASILY, TOO. IS EVERYBODY LISTENING????? HAVE I BUILT THIS UP ENOUGH???? OK! HERE COMES THE REAL WORK::::::::::::::::::

>>>>>>>>> {I'm now whispering so that only those who are paying attention will get this} <<<<<<<<

Obtain a small dress snap. I use one about 1/4" in diameter. Separate the two halves. Inssert reel thread through one of the holes in the MALE snap. TIE TWO (2) HALF HITCHES. (A SQUARE KNOT IS >>>NOT<<< TWO HALF HITCHES). It's a good idea to 'seal' the knot with a drop of liquid glue. If you don't know how to tie two hitches, find a Boy Scout -- or a Boy Scout Handbook!!

Lay the MALE half of the fastener on a hard surface with the MALE "part" UP. Lay a CORNER of the silk on the MALE part. (Just enough of the corner to "cover' the "part"). Place the FEMALE half of the snap fastener with the female "part" DOWN, over the MALE part and impale or snap together the two parts of the fastener. The silk is now firmly fastened, and you can perform the standard routines.

To remove the silk for pressing, force a fingernail between the two parts
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
The Tango comes with an o ring.You simply tie the silk onto the ring. It takes a couple of seconds and can be released quickly when needed.It's explained on the DVD that comes with the reel.

Chappelly.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Ditto.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Oslund sir, that's cool.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks for the information dick.
todd
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
Yes thanks for the info. I didn't have a chance to watch the DVD yet. I will get to that this week.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Dick:

For a Kirkendall or similar reel, that's a GREAT idea....Thank You!

As far as the Tango reel is concerned, you can attach your silk to the o-ring that comes with the reel.

FYI...in my opinion, the best silk for "flying Bars" is the Rice silk because of the design.

Dick: I'm in St. Louis right now taking care of some things for my mother who is in the hospital but I plan on driving bqck home tomorrow.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Oslund,
That's a PROFESSIONAL tip!!
Did you hear that!?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Dick Oslund's idea is BRILLIANT! Wish I had thought of that...

Doug
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I just got the Tango Ultimate Reel last week.
The silk that came with it had a small bead or pearl sewn into a corner of the silk.
This bead has a few purposes but the main purpose is that it's a perfect fit for the O ring on the thread.
It takes 3 seconds to attach or remove the silk from the thread.

I like Dick's suggestion.
I'm going to try this with my flying silk reel.
I just hope it doesn't snag when flying around and making turns around objects. The snap - on may get caught.
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I don't know why that it has taken me so long to reply to all the "cheers"!

I guess you all know the old line: "Don't applaud! Throw money!"

Look back at my post! I must, in good conscience, point out my first sentence! Some old timer, long ago, suggested the very simple concept to me. --I'm just the "conduit"!

I especially liked it, 'cuz it was so easy to "rotate" the silk (like rotating the tires on our cars.Using a different corner, evens ot the "pressure" on the silk. It also makes pressing the silk, occasionally, a bit easier.

Ihop! I've never used the 'flying silk" bit. See my comments in the thread about "what magic to do". Remember, I'm a professional! I only do tricks that I can do, almost anywhere, for almost anyone. The flying silk is flashy, but, set up time limits what I can do. Besides, the Serpentine and the Silk through the microphone stand are enough of reel use for me. (Never become greedy with a principle!)

I wrote up the "handling" of the Serpentine in my book, 'cuz I got so tired of watching guys twisting the silk into a rope like configuration. Almost everyone that I've seen do the Serpentine, uses their shoulders, to twist the silk. Almost everyone, when they do the visible untying, do it way too fast. TIMING is critical, to emphasize the "action"!

Whenever I use the Serp. or the Silk thru mike, I am silently thanking Albenice!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
And, in my humble opinion, regarding the "Reel" work......Visible "40th Century" Silks from said Albenice in Chapter One, p.18 is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL USE OF A REEL.......EVER!!!

Seriously, this one trick alone is reason enough to buy a good reel and start using it......
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Without question,IMO, Albenice should always be mentioned when we talk about reels!

I like his 40th Century Silks, too. It just never "fit" in my act.

Have you ever seen the late Dennis Loomis' "Instant Repeat Silk Thru Microphone?" He developed it, about 40 + years ago. Neil Foster told Denny to "K"eep it tight! don't tip it!, otherwise, some klutz will butcher it!" Denny showed it to me, and, no one else that I know of. Just a few months, before he died, Denny wrote a series of articles for MUM, and, in one article, he explained it. Not many, if anyone, will do it. It requires pre-setting, plus two locking reels! David Copperfield would phone from places like Japan, to discuss ideas with Denny!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As mentioned above, the difference is the ring and bead, make is look like a knot or lump on the end of the silk. The snaps idea prevents tell tail effects on the corner, especially when doing the serpent silk routine. Also the bigger the bump, the more it will catch going through the loop in the silk.

I also suggest folding over the silk zigzag fashion over the snap, attach with a single stitch. This prevents any of the snap showing.

I guess you could paint the snap, but seeing the actual silk as cover is more to my liking.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! I like that, Bill!

The snap that I'm using is tiny and black, but, the zig zag fold will GUARANTEE that the snap won't be spotted! --THANX!!!

Merry Christmas!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
It is in print. Reel Magic by Albenice, page 68, in preparation number 2, under Spalding's, the penetrable silk.

Great tip though.

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:
PETE>>> and anyone else who uses a reel for serp. silk or silk thru mike stand, etc.

IT IS NOT NECESSARHY TO S E W THE REEL THREAD TO THE SILK.........IT IS A L S O NOT NECESSARY TO SEW A SNAP FASTENER TO THE SILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AN OLD PRO. SHOWED ME THIS EONS AGO. AND, I HAVE USED THIS FOR MORE YEARS THAN I CAN REMEMBER --THAT'S THOUSANDS OF SHOWS. I HAVE NEVERE SEEN THIS IN PRINT, I THINK MAYBE IT'S TIME TO PASS THIS ALONG!!! SO, I AM ABOUT TO TIP THE WORK ON FASTERNING THE REEL THREAD TO A SILK. THE SILK CAN BE UNFASTENED QUICKLY AND EASILY FOR WASHING AND/OR PRESSING. --AND, THE SILK CAN BE REFASTENED QUICKLY AND EASILY, TOO. IS EVERYBODY LISTENING????? HAVE I BUILT THIS UP ENOUGH???? OK! HERE COMES THE REAL WORK::::::::::::::::::

>>>>>>>>> {I'm now whispering so that only those who are paying attention will get this} <<<<<<<<

Obtain a small dress snap. I use one about 1/4" in diameter. Separate the two halves. Inssert reel thread through one of the holes in the MALE snap. TIE TWO (2) HALF HITCHES. (A SQUARE KNOT IS >>>NOT<<< TWO HALF HITCHES). It's a good idea to 'seal' the knot with a drop of liquid glue. If you don't know how to tie two hitches, find a Boy Scout -- or a Boy Scout Handbook!!

Lay the MALE half of the fastener on a hard surface with the MALE "part" UP. Lay a CORNER of the silk on the MALE part. (Just enough of the corner to "cover' the "part"). Place the FEMALE half of the snap fastener with the female "part" DOWN, over the MALE part and impale or snap together the two parts of the fastener. The silk is now firmly fastened, and you can perform the standard routines.

To remove the silk for pressing, force a fingernail between the two parts
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! Thanks Kaliix!

I had picked up a copy of Albenice's booklet for reference awhile back, and, since I already knew how to do the Serpentine, and the Penetration through the mike stand, I loaned it out to a young lad, who is eager, polite, interested and, has a "big" IQ! --It's a joy to mentor someone like that!

When the booklet "comes home", I'll bookmark it!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tango reel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL