The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Single-handed double packet turnover (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find any thread about it.

I have a double (and nothing else) face down in my left hand in dealer's grip. The right hand is busy doing other stuff. I want to turn the double face up to display it as a single card using only the left hand that is holding it. What is a good handling of this? Currently I'm trying to lever it up using the thumb, but it's hard to keep it aligned.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Put the pad of your thumb to the left outer corner, the tip of your pinky on the right inner corner and pivot it into view with your free fingers.

Or just let it rest a bit on your open palm aligned so they see its a single card (hah), then simply grab it with the fingers and turn your hand palm down to show the face.
I took the Pledge
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Einmaliger,

If I understand you correctly, there is a way to pop (spring) a double and flip it over on to the top of the deck using pressure from your thumb and using the deck edge as the fulcrum.

Perhaps someone here could give a source or name?

I saw Lee Asher do this but for a more spectacular use. It might be called "Springboard double".

-Mary Mowder
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
What Gulyás says is on point; just make it easier on yourself by ensuring that the double is not in *deep* dealer's grip; if it is, you have to move it up so that the thumb and pinky can contact their corners, and that can take some fiddling.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Larry Jennings has a nice method, I believe it is described in Ambitious Classic?
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Erm...if it's aligned FD in your hand why can't you just turn the hand over to display it?
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Thanks all for the helpful advice.

@Mary: No, that's not what I meant. I only want to turn over the double in the left hand.

@Gulyás and Steve: I see that it's probably the best idea to not take it into deep dealer's grip in the first place.

@tomsk192: I know I have Jennings' description of Ambitious Classic somewhere, but I can't find it.

I think I once read something by Paul Harris where he discussed ways to handle a double this way. But I have no idea where that was.

@Russell: That would work if the spectators could see through the back of my hand.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
@Einmaliger

Just move the card up so when you turn you're hand over you can see it's face. Unless you've got a spade for a hand & no fingers.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Einmalinger,

The springboard double (if that is the correct name) is a one hand operation.

The left thumb picks up the double from a straddle grip ( from mechanic's grip, just move your little finger to the bottom of the deck) and pushes it sideways off the edge of the deck far enough for the left fingers to spring the double just a little to pop it face up on the top of the deck. Surprisingly the double can stay squared.

If someone else knows the right name for this and could point to a real source I'd appreciate it.

-Mary Mowder
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I'm guessing you mean Lee's Diving Board double? I can't remember which pamphlet of his it's in, it's probably easy to find on his site.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Mary I don't think you get it correctly. He doesn't have a deck in his hand, only a double card..

The Diving Board double has its own notes I think.
I took the Pledge
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
http://www.leeasher.com/store/online_dow......ble.html

On this page it's sold on it's own - I'm pretty sure I have it in one of his pamphlet's as well, unless I'm just remembering him teaching it on one of his dvd's or lectures.

And Gulyas - you're right - I don't believe the OP has a deck in his LH.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you.

-Mary Mowder
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Einmalinger,

Quote 'Erm...if it's aligned FD in your hand why can't you just turn the hand over to display it' Unquote

In Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, P154, he uses the Steranko move to transfer a double as a single from his left hand to his right hand. It is possible to do what Russell Davidson suggests using this move.

Hope this helps

All the best

Michael
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
With your hand palm up, double face down, hold the card with thumb on inner/left long side and second finger on outer/right long side. Slide 1st finger and third finger under card till the edge of cards touches right at first joint, just past the finger nails. Now the card is clipped between 2 nd finger, on the backside of cards, and 1st and 3rd fingers under neath, on card face. Now with hand still palm up, just open your fingers, extending them with the card clipped and show the face- with naturalness.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Single-handed double packet turnover (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL