The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Shaved morgans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
How common is using morgan dollars that are shaved/trimmed to be a bit thinner. Are these technically called "palming coins"

I would like to find some morgans that are very old, near identical in appearance and a bit thinner then normal for ease of palming.

Thanks for your help.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
The Morgar Magical Morgans are thinner and lighter than normal morgans. They are not made of silver, but they do look great, and are only $10 each.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
Andy- Thanks for the input. I would prefer to use real silver morgans but those do look nice.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Older soft morgens will be slighty thinner.
but there is a sacrifice you will have to deal with.
the thinner they are the less you will see of the face and tail characteristics.
todd
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, bowers my friend...and the milling on the edges will most likely be lacking as well and affect the better palming of the coin for many. Smile On another relative note here, the more worn (softer) the coin is, also the more silent it is, which can be very helpful as well in a lot of routines. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t know of any that have been "shaved". Morgans were specced by the US Mint as 3.1mm thick, but the specs refer to the blanks. The actual coins can very quite a bit in thickness, mostly depending on whether you mic them near the rim or closer to the center. Some of mine measure 2.4mm at the center and 2.75mm at the rim; others were a bit thicker in both places. The 1921 Morgans I have seem to be thicker but also have the least wear.

Jim
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
Thanks for the input guys
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Shaved morgans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL