The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Advertising shift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Is anyone else bothered by a recent shift in advertising to making statements about businesses without any proof or foundation and completely in error.

These include, "We can give better pricing because we are not obligated to stockholders." and "Better deals because our salespeople or on salary rather than commission."

These provide implication of unsupported myths that all businessmen are crooks and all salesmen unscrupulous.

From my experience, the only reason why folks might buy these claims is that the media has convinced the public of these ideas.

It's bad enough the "magic" is being destroyed as a concept by advertising, but ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Like:

Walmart! Always Low Prices!

Yup don't know why anyone believes the hype. Caveat Emptor!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't think it's a shift. I suspect advertising today is on balance more honest than it's ever been. Listerine, for instance, had to retract the claim that it kills colds.

I also disagree with the "all" in your suggested implications.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
This is hardly a "shift". this is the way ALL advertising has always been. There are actually much stricter laws in place than there used to be. I remember the old "more doctors smoke camels than any other brand".
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I agree that this is not a shift; it has always been like this. There is one reason that advertisers do it - it works.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No it doesn't, advertisers use ambiguity because it works. Where there is no ambiguity there is no art. Advertisers use sorcery and are great artist.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Advertising shift (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL