The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suggested DVD for producing Illusion Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Any thoughts and recommendations?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
You're not likely to find a lot as far as DVDs on this topic, but one I can recommend is Joanie Spina's Get Your Act Together DVD which addresses most of the sorely neglected subjects by today's "illusionists".

She genuinely knows whereof she speaks (many years as onstage assistant/choreographer to David Copperfield) and offers consultation services as well.

While you may find a few other DVDs for illusionists, most will be devoted to building props. But unless you know what to do with said props it's all for naught.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Amen, Frank! I don't do LARGE illusions (can't afford the darn things!), I do work on stage. It takes work to make my typical "stand up" or parlour stuff look big enough for stage.

Having been in drama for many years, I have learned a little about stagecraft. I tend to like to make the stage more intimate with a set of some sort. I then let costuming and music do it's job as well.

I rarely work with assistants, except when I can convince my daughter to help onstage.

Right now, I am writing and blocking out my silk routine for a spot in a charity show that I do every year. I am awaiting Jay Scott Berry's "Best Of" CD of royalty-free music. I already have the set in mind (an intimate little coffee shop/restaurant) and am finishing up the routine.

I hope to get some decent video footage to share here. The show is in April.

I have already got my first Act for the same show done. Starting out with a Zombie routine, then going to Komedy Karton and finishing with the flying carpet.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Thanks...I just bought it!
Of course....I should have known better being a subscriber to Magic Magazine for many years
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
Spinas DVDs are great, but if you want to do illusions it might be a good idea to take some dance classes instead of watching a DVD. Even if you are not planning to dance on stage, it will help you to make your movement smoother and more elegant. You will learn to be more aware of your body movement and gain more stage presence.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Ingo--

You hit the nail on the head! Dance classes are helpful, as are acting classes. I took 5 years of dance (tap) as a youngster. I still suck at dancing, but I at least don't move like a clutz during my show.

The acting classes help in obvious ways, as would instruction in directing...for the knowledge of blocking, stagecraft, etc.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suggested DVD for producing Illusion Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL