The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What climate change????? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..58~59~60
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 16:20, mastermindreader wrote:
That is exactly the position of Big Oil. We don't need any regulations. Trust us.

It works for the President.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I know, I know, this is just "weather" -

Quote:
Since Memorial Day is typically deemed as the unofficial start to summer, many people of the Northeast may find it hard to believe that frost and freezing temperatures are a concern tonight.

The same unseasonably cold air that led to substantial snow in the northern New England mountains will make for a chilly night through the Northeast tonight.

West of I-95 (and west of I-81 from southern Pennsylvania to northern Virginia), temperatures will be cold enough for areas of frost to form.

Eventually, though, enough weather piles up, and you have "climate."
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Damage done will be on your grandchildren's/great-grandchildren's doorstep. We and our offspring (make that YOUR offspring--I have none)will probably dodge the first volley of consequential bullets.
So don't worry about it--it won't affect you, just your progeny, who will then curse your generation.
No big deal. That's their problem, let them deal with it, right?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:32, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Damage done will be on your grandchildren's/great-grandchildren's doorstep. We and our offspring (make that YOUR offspring--I have none)will probably dodge the first volley of consequential bullets.
So don't worry about it--it won't affect you, just your progeny, who will then curse your generation.
No big deal. That's their problem, let them deal with it, right?

So fire was a bad idea? Okay how about our oxygen atmosphere - was that a bad idea too?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Darn straight--it allowed US to develop, resulting in all kinds of misery.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Is that "us" or "U.S." that you feel resulted in "all kinds of misery"?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Meanwhile, reviewing Anthony Watts's blog this morning (according to Wiki: "The Times named Watts Up With That? as one of the 30 best science blogs and described it as: "One of the more entertainingly sceptic blogs, written by a former TV weatherman. The ecofriendly blogger offers commentary on science, nature, climate change and technology, as well as 'puzzling things in life.'" WUWT won the "Best Science Blog" award in the 2008 Weblog Awards, an internet organization that tallied 933,022 votes in 48 different categories for the 2008 awards."), I noticed a few interesting things.

First of all, that "97% consensus" claim has come in for some scrutiny, and appears to be based on an incomplete data set.

Second of all, here's an interesting article by Lord Monckton of Brenchley:

Quote:
As Bob Tisdale has recently pointed out, the monthly temperature anomaly series published by the Hadley Centre and the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia has just been extensively revised.

A commenter on a previous posting about the temperature record asked whether the entire 163-year HadCRUt4 dataset could be displayed graphically, with the uncertainties (red and green) and trends illustrated. Here is the requested graph, based on the revised data:

The least-squares linear-regression trend across the entire 1959-month period shows warming equivalent to 0.47 Cº/century (0.9 Fº/century), well within the natural variability of the climate. The 95% (2 σ) confidence interval falls between 0.33 and 0.6 Cº/century, as shown by the trend-lines flanking the central trend.

The result should be adjusted to allow for the finding in Michaels & McKitrick (2007) that urban heat island effects and other extraneous influences over the past 30 years have led to overestimation of the warming rate over land by as much as double. On the assumption that this bias may have existed since 1850, the true warming rate since then is equivalent to just 0.4 Cº (0.7 Fº) per century.

And:

Quote:
For how long has there been no statistically-significant warming? In the following graph, the zone of statistical insignificance is shown in pale blue. Since the entire central trend-line falls within that zone, the warming since February 1996, more than 17 years ago, is not statistically distinguishable from zero.

On the evidence summarized in these graphs, there is no rational case for taking drastic and costly steps to mitigate global warming. It will be cheaper, and wiser, to wait and see.

Finally, a statistician evaluates the Met Office claim, here, and finds that any rise in temperature shown since 1880 is not statistically significant.

As icing on the cake, as it were, here is an article in Forbes, claiming that a period of significant global cooling is now underway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What climate change????? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..58~59~60
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL