The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Larger tables (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Just wondering what effects U guys like to do at bigger tables. U can't really do stuff where you place anything on the table. There are usually bottles, flyers, and other things blocking their view.

And if you don't play to the WHOLE group, it's too easy for them to start talking amongst themselves. What do you guys/gals do? I like mismade bill and ring and string. Those play real good "up."

Any other effects that play good "up?"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I know several because I do get alot of repeat patrons. But my favorite is with sponges. I have many type of sponge rountines.
FranD,Amico
View Profile
New user
Cleveland
9 Posts

Profile of FranD,Amico
I am from cleveland ohio.(Haha hold the cleveland jokes, we still got the rock & roll hall of fame(in your face New York ! as Homer simpson would say).I love that place) I work at Pickwick & Frolic (a real classy Joint) At large tables (8 or more)I do a variation on Doc Eason's 10 to fifteen card routine.I saw him perform it live 6 times a true work of art.I never learned his method,kind of made up my own.Each person peeks and remembers a card,they are all involved,now you have their attention. The look on peoples faces when you remove 8 different cards from 8 different pockets is pricless. A garenteed large round of applause and a 20 $ tip.I like being able to show each hand empty before reaching into the pocket this heightens the effect in my opinion.
Speaking of the Simpsons,is it just me? the icons at the bottom of the page remind me of Homer Simpsons web page.The only thing missing is Dancing Jesus.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For larger, crowded, tables, I tend to go for stuff that's in the hands and above the table level, so everyone can see.

Professor's Nightmare, Card to Forehead, Salt Pour, Chinese Sticks, Ring on Wand, Fl!p Stick, CMH and the like all play well. PAsse Passe ribbon (TT method), coins to glass, Tenkai's Decapitation (not for kids, mind you!) and Sucker T&R Napkin also work well.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
If you go to Scott Guinn's website, he has something called a Table Hopper's Friend. It allows only a fraction of an inch to be taken up by a close up pad and can be sleightly elevated so that even people on long tables can see whats going on on the close up pad.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Lee Darrow has it right: Forget individual tricks; play to the whole table with stuff in the hands about chest level; that way, you've got the attention of the whole group and nobody feels left out.

Some of the tricks?

What I do is my version of the Professor's Nightmare (10 years in the making and performed more than 7,000 times), my three-card monte with jumbo cards, my Psychic Darts comedy-mentalism routine, and so on.

In other words, I do mostly my own material so there's no point in just listing the names -- they would mean nothing here.

The important thing is that, for larger tables, play OFF the table and to the customer farthest away from you. That way, everyone sees and hears.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Thanks, Maestro Marucci, for the kind words!

And I appreciate the support for the idea.

When we play to an audience, we should endeavor to play to the WHOLE audience, whether at a table or in a theater of 5,000 people.

Working in a manner that can be seen is one of the keys to doing this, especially at an overcrowded table in a restaurant or bar.

When I do Ring On Wand, for instance, I have one person on the right side and one on the left side of the table hold the ends of the wand - high up so everybody can see - and get the involvement going as well.

And some table situations are frankly more akin to working in a cabaret style situation anyway! Smile

Thanks again, Mr. Marucci! And everyone else who is contributing to these forums, thanks as well!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
A lot of rope tricks can be done for large tables, such as cut and restored or professors nightmare. ring on string or wand as mentioned would be good. I think that the best one mentioned so far is the multiple card selection. if you use this trick you can get every person at the table into the effect and it is all done in the hands and most of all it can be presented with a lot of energy and excitement. if you have the capabilities then a card on ceiling would play big in my opinion. also use 3 fly, what is more in the hands then this, and if the lights are right and the coins are shinny enough then it looks really cool.
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll probably add a multiple selection routine and a ring on wand routine to my arsenal. Maybe an Ellis ring.

I'll also take some ropes as well. I didn't like to take semi bulky things such as ropes with me, cause my pockets were occupied, although a couple of ropes aren't too bad. I'll probably take a little bag and keep it elsewhere for the larger tables.

A card to pocket routine would probably be pretty good, as nothing is set on the table.

Any other suggestions out there?

Mr. Darrow, what is Passe Passe ribbon. I'm not familiar with that effect. It sounds as if it packs small.

Thanks Y'll.
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
Quote:
On 2003-11-19 01:43, Leeman wrote:
... if you have the capabilities then a card on ceiling would play big in my opinion.

Just a note:
If you think you might want to start performing card on ceiling in your restaurant you will want to see how the restaurant manager feels about you doing this effect. It can be a great effect. But I've met restaurant managers who don't like having to get those cards down from the ceiling.

Also you can hang the ropes (for professor's Nightmare) from your belt. If you wear a jacket they will be covered by the tails of your jacket and if set up right can be magically produced through a series of creative steals.
Just an idea.
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
How about a card trick where 3 or more people pick a card? You don't have to use the three people closest to you, you can get people from all parts of the table. Jim Sisti has a good one in Magic Menu First Five Years.
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Oh! I remember that one. It's where 3 selections are made and you find 3 "wrong" ones. You then proceed to snap your fingers and correct your error. Great one.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I like to use Doc Eason's version of the multiple discovery trick, called Fusillade. It involves almost everyone at the table, but the performer can have the cards selected at a distance, without having to move around the table for each person to take one.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hey, A one coin routine works really good if you use dollar size coins and a big Finnish. Sometimes you can get away with doing some stuff on the tables if you bring the energy up and make sure you interact with everyone at the table.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
How about B'Wave. You can use a person at the far end of the table.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I remember going to visit a friend of mine while he was table hopping at a restaurant. I was watching him perform from a distance throughout the night. To this day, the most impressive and visual routine he did was using a 3ft rope and a 3" heavy Ring. He used a lot of classic moves and originals as well. Each phase was easily visible from 10 or 15 feet as well as easy to understand without patter.
I am STILL trying to remember half of his moves.
Man he was good. For the record, his name is Jeffery Richards. He works in Vegas now and doing very well.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
ottomagic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ottomagic
I agree with FranD,Amico....the multiple card selection (Fussilade) never fails to get a great reaction. That's a "money winner" at the restaurant.
Hey FranD, Amico! I'm from Pittsburgh (you won't hold that against me will you?) but really enjoyed visiting the R&R Hall of Fame and catching a game at "The Jake". Where do you perform? I get up there once in awhile.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
A good way to get the attention of the table is the "off-base" trick by Greg Wilson. As you hit an empty glass of wine with a fork or spoon in order to get the attention, you "accidentaly" break the glass (the base or "stand" of the glass). THEN, you'll have the attention, and that's the moment you restore it.

Another trick I do is Hooser's "Charming Chinese Challenge," but with English pennies in which I drilled a hole.
I begin with the Curtis Kam's plot (Palm of Ssteel 1) of Spellbound: a light test. "Can you see the hole in the coin because sometimes (change) people cannot see it... and so."
And then the routine.

I have another question: what about the very large (and long) tables with 30 people or more (sometimes in U-shape)?
If you can't get them all at once, and if two performances at the two ends doesn't make it, do you "insert yourself" between two persons? How do you manage the fact that some people looking at you aren't really in the group you perform for, but will see you again a little bit later when you'll move?

I hope I am clear.
Thanks,

Jonathan.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I really think that a deck to pocket routine works great since everyone can follow it because it doesn't go on on the table.
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Quote:
On 2003-12-16 23:02, Bradley Morgan wrote:
Hey, A one coin routine works really good if you use dollar size coins and a big Finnish.

I can assure you that even the smallest of the Finnish people are pretty hard to palm. I can see this playing very big, though. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Larger tables (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL