The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tips? Wages? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Hey all,
I would like to start doing some more restaurant magic, but I am unsure about charging. Some people have told me that it is better to do it solely for tips, but do people actually give tips to the magician who comes to their table? If so, about how much do you think one could make in a night working just for tips?
Thanks,
Ben
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Ben,

This topic has been discussed a lot here, and from what I'd bet, you'll get a lot of opinions on both sides of the tips vs fee thing. Should you get a fee, work just for tips, or should you even accept tips? You will have to be the best judge of that.

Some things to consider... Working just for tips will often allow you to get a foot in the door at some places. This can be good in the sense that you are then able to see a lot of people who may eventually want to have you work for other events.

Problems can arise from this however. Any venue that you work just for tips is unlikely to pay you later down the road. Very few restuarant owners will buy the cow when they are getting the milk for free. You may also be setting a precedent that might make it harder to get paid anywhere else. That all depends on who finds out what about you.

You might find them expecting you to work for "publicity" and tips at their event or venue, if they know that is how you are paid when they see you. At the very least, never tell them you are working just for tips.

OK, so this can present another problem... How do they know that you accept tips? I never condone asking for, or advertising for tips, even with a tip jar, but you'll get differing opinions from others on this.

When I was doing this, I never asked or advertised but still did accept them, and managed to do quite well in that department (much of the time). How?

First thing is, you have to be working in a place where the clientele is already in tune with the concept. For starters, you have to go where the money is, if yoiu expect to get any of it. Fishing in a dry hole is pointless. Second, you don't want to waste all your efforts educating the population to the idea of tipping.

So assuming you are performing where people know to tip servers, bartenders, bellmen, valets, etc., the best way to get tips is to just be very good at what you do in front of the people who are most likely to tip.

Remember that line from the movie, "Field of Dreams"... "If you build it, he will come."

Trust in the fact that the money will find you if you are good enough to deserve it.

None of this is to say that you should not try for a fee, but weigh any obstinance for this against working and therefore doing something that might advance your career, instead of just your available cash on hand.

In a general sense, I found that if I approached the job to see how much money I could make, I usually didn't. If I set out to do a great job, I usually did well with tips, regardless of whether I was being paid a fee or not. But all that can vary greatly. You asked how much can be expected?? Some nights I made hundreds... other nights.. goose eggs.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that if you don't already know the answer to your own question, then you are walking toward a pitfall of focusing too much on the money. Be the best and you'll be in demand.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2013-02-12 18:17, Benjamagic wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to start doing some more restaurant magic, but I am unsure about charging. Some people have told me that it is better to do it solely for tips, but do people actually give tips to the magician who comes to their table? If so, about how much do you think one could make in a night working just for tips?
Thanks,
Ben

Great post Michael Baker........Ben...You said you'd like to do "some more" restaurant magic. Have you performed in restaurants before? How did you handle your own question?.....Just my opinion, but when I approach a restaurant and speak to the Management/Owner, I stress the fact that I DO NOT solicit tips.

I tell them I realize the waitstaff depends on tips for the majority of their salary and don't want them to see me as competition in that area. I want to be seen as someone that could possibly increase their tips. That's why I negotiate a performance fee. I would never just "Work for Tips"....................

Do I accept tips?.....yes, but only after I tell the patrons that my performance is complimentary and the management appreciates them choosing XYZ restaurant. Some will say thanks---no tip...others will insist, place a bill in my pocket or do the handshake bill transfer switcharoo...........Then I kindly say Thanks so much .......another point.........

I want people to come back and see me OFTEN....If they think I expect a tip or feel somewhat obligated they might be hesitant to come back. I have quite a few regulars and for some it's nice to know they aren't obligated in any way.

I just received, a couple a weeks ago, a $100.00 tip from a gentleman who came in quite frequently with his family/grandchildren....The first few times there was no tip and none was expected......Then he came in again but his time he did the Handshake tip method with the big surprise.......I went back a few minutes later, thanked him and scolded him in a very nice way that that wasn't necessary. His reply was "Yes it was". I was very humbled.

Again, like Michael said, just be and do your best. Don't focus on the money.
Just my opinion.your mileage may vary....Enjoy the journey.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I too work for a fee and accept tips. If asked, I let them know that I am paid by the restaurant. But believe me, if I were in a high traffic tourist area I would not hesitate a second to experiment with just tips. It's stricktly a question of wether or not you make what you need to make and not who pays you.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
One way that I've used to suggest that I take tips in a no pressure kind of way is to wear a button that says: Standard Tip- $24567002
And I don't say anything about it. If someone comments on the button (which they usually do) I say,"Well I figure it only has to work once."
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Magicjuggler, I hope you realize that by posting this idea on the Café, I am now going to use the crap out of it. if it can gain tips and add another joke to my act all at once, I'm on board.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Here are the advantages of working for free:

- You will be in front of people each night that you normally wouldn't have
- You will get experience if you need it
- The owner or GM can write a letter of recommendation so you can land another place that pays
- You can get video footage which can help you get a place that pays
- When you are pitching a new restaurant owner, you can say, "I'm already performing at X place" (your credibility goes up because it shows people trust you already)

The reasons you SHOULD work for a fee:

- You are providing a service to the restaurant. Their customers walk away talking to their friends about their experience, which can lead to repeat and new customers for them. Entertainment, be it bands or magic, are an attraction meant to get people talking.
- Your time is the most valuable thing you have. Why spend it with someone who doesn't care if you have a successful business?
- If people are willing to tip you, then the service you offer is worth money to them. But, people don't like to feel pressured to tip from wandering entertainment, so the best way to relieve that is for the restaurant to pay you upfront.

If you have no clue on how to get started and need to get your feet wet: work for free and get the things I listed. If you have those things, or think you can land a place without them, then go for it.

Dave
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Hhmmm....should I say something....Hmmmm....ok...i just have to.
magic juggler, I've seen people wearing buttons like that, and honestly, the first word that pops in my head..."Tool".

I think it is acceptable for someone to wear a button like that if they are busking or twisting balloons in a line format. But, IN MY OPINION, working in a legit establishment going table to table announcing, quite blantantly, that you accept tips...even before you've done anything to indicate you would deserve one..is bad form.

For the record, yes, I do accept tips when offered. I look directly into their eyes and graciously thank them....as if it was completely unexpected. Again, this is my opinion, others will have different views. Also, I've seen guys hover over a table at the end of their set waiting for the wallet to come out. They put their props away slowly....one at a time...until finally, they get a tip. I've always viewed that as someone tipping the performer, not for the performance, but for them to leave.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Close up Dave,
Commenting on two of your points regarding working for tips. You state that restaurant owner X can write up a letter of recommendation, and that restaurant owner Y will be impressed that owner X has you working at his place.
On paper, sounds like a benefit for sure. In reality, I would suspect that owner Y would try to contact owner X for more information as to how this helps his business. At some point, I would think that owner Y would ask owner X...."Hey, so how much do you pay this guy?". I think you see where I'm going with this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Indeed a tip button. Of all the ideas I have read on the Magic Café... that is definately one of them.

I am allowing for him making a joke with us. (I am hoping it is a joke.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 12:36, patrick flanagan wrote:
Close up Dave,
Commenting on two of your points regarding working for tips. You state that restaurant owner X can write up a letter of recommendation, and that restaurant owner Y will be impressed that owner X has you working at his place.
On paper, sounds like a benefit for sure. In reality, I would suspect that owner Y would try to contact owner X for more information as to how this helps his business. At some point, I would think that owner Y would ask owner X...."Hey, so how much do you pay this guy?". I think you see where I'm going with this.

I definitely do, but it's a small point in the bigger picture. It's quite easy to be honest and say: I worked there for the experience and am moving on because entertainment is not in that restaurant's budget.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 05:34, MagicJuggler wrote:
One way that I've used to suggest that I take tips in a no pressure kind of way is to wear a button that says: Standard Tip- $24567002
And I don't say anything about it. If someone comments on the button (which they usually do) I say,"Well I figure it only has to work once."

I'd advocate inserting commas into that number, to make it easier to understand.

;)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 14:26, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 05:34, MagicJuggler wrote:

I'd advocate inserting commas into that number, to make it easier to understand.

;)

I thought about that but didn't want to understand.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Commas are a great thing...

In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tips? Wages? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL